“Worst service ever at a restaurant...”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Ichiban

Ichiban
Ranked #152 of 285 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Winchester, Virginia
“Worst service ever at a restaurant...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

once upon a time at the Winchester Ichiban Japanese Steakhouse... (ok, spoiler alert, rant ahead!!!)... I took my 9 year old son Ryan out for a fun dinner, just the 2 of us, and he wanted Ichiban to watch them cook the food. We walked in and as we went to the table, an egg flew across the room (slight exaggeration) and broke on the floor at Ryan's feet... should have taken that as a sign and left!!! BUT, we stayed and ordered drinks and food. Ryan ordered the Japanese soda which has this cool way you activate it by pushing a marble down inside... part of the fun. It came out already done... no big deal... on to the food. Ryan ordered steak and I held up the menu and pointed to the Children's Steak so that Ryan would not complain about the kids portion. Ryan kept saying "steak and make it medium..." Anyone who knows Ryan knows he is outspoken and very clear! The waiter came back by and said "This?" and pointed to the Children's menu and I said yes. Cooking starts and the cook was horrible, dropping knives, breaking egg shells into the fried rice, etc. Then he scoops up the Kids Lobster and puts it into Ryan's plate. I ask Ryan if its OK and he says no (he does not like lobster), so I tell the cook that he got it wrong. He argues with me and continues cooking and even goes to the "shrimp toss!!!"I ask where the steak is and he says, "you did not order steak, so there is no steak for him." I go to the manager and he says he'll take care of it. The waiter comes over and begins arguing adamantly and aggressively... not a good thing to do at this point so I remind him that he is in the service industry and that he probably should not be with his attitude. I then tell him to get away from me, "just leave." So thankfully he does. The manager comes over and apologizes and says Ryan's steak is coming. It comes out OK, but all the while the other customer at the table are telling me and the manager that Ryan ordered steak, they all heard it at least 5 times (those that know Ryan will understand). Ryan eats some steak and then when the check comes, it has everything on it AND the lobster!!! At that point, I walked out. The owner and the waiter followed out as I expected and I laid into them and said I would pay them what they deserved for ruining my dinner,Ryan's dinner and my mood $0, in fact that they should pay me for not making a big scene inside... oh, and their screw up made me late picking up my other son from tennis!!!!

SO... for anyone in Winchester, Va, avoid Ichiban!!!!!!!!!!!! What a night!

• Visited June 2012

Washington, DC
“Good time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

The restaurant was nice. We were seated quickly and Daniel, our chef, was great. He was much more than the typical "egg roll" and "onion choo choo train." Drinks were nice and it seems as though the happy hour specials Mon-Thurs are a steal (drafts $2). Will visit again if in the area.

Visited June 2012
Martinsburg, West Virginia
“An "Oldie but a Goodie"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

Of the Japanese steakhouses in the vicinity, I still think this one is the best. Just seems to have better food.

Visited December 2011
Hagerstown, MD
“Wow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

Always a good show with the meal. Great quality and great tasting food prepared before your eyes.

“Good food, good fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

Good Japanese hibachi. Hard to find. It's in the mall.