“Soup Sandwich”

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Houston, Texas
“Soup Sandwich”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

This place is more messed up than a soup sandwich. They should change the name to Worst Western.

Booked a pet friendly, smoke free room for a week while staying in Winchester. Check in was fine, our room was on the first floor as requested. The room was ok and everything was clean. No issues.

Day two around lunch time I receive a call from the owner / manager Jody saying that we needed to move to a different room as they had put us in a room that doesn't allow pets.

Jody was extremely rude and sarcastic. I asked if we would still be on the first floor and was told no, they were overbooked and that we would be on the second floor. She said she was waving the $5 pet fee as compensation but if I didn't like moving to the second floor she could charge the pet fee. You have got to be joking?!? I was also told we needed to come back to the hotel and get our things out so the room would be available for other guest.

We get back to the room and find that our key card has been deactivated. As you can imagine, I am less than happy. Go to the office and of course Jody is gone. Talked to another manager Don. He apologized and was very nice. He provided a replacement key as well as the card key to the new room.

I asked for a luggage cart as the new room is in another building on the opposite side of the property. I was told no, they don't have carts. No elevators either. Yay, I get to make a coupe of trips dragging our stuff across a parking lot and up a flight of stairs.

So after packing up our stuff and making the first trip to our new room we were greeted with a door that has a busted lock (see pic). You can imagine the warm and fuzzy feelings I have.

Back to the office and get another room. Woo hoo!!! This one has a working lock. The downside is that this room reeks of stale cigarette smoke. It was supposedly a smoke free room, I think not. Nothing like waking up in the morning and smelling like you had been sleeping in an ashtray.

One thing to note. This hotel caters to the local construction worker. Our room was at the top of the metal stair case that leads to the second floor. If your room is anywhere near the stair case you will hear the pitter patter of steel toe work boots going up and down the staircase all hours of the night. You may also receive a wake up call as doors are being banged on at 5am to let the crew know its time to go to work.

So in conclusion no I wouldn't stay here again. I would rather sleep in a wet cardboard box under a bridge naked during a blizzard than stay here. Yes, it was that bad.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 888Scott888
donald v, Owner at BEST WESTERN Lee-Jackson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thank you for filling out the review. I hope you will give us another chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Strasbourg, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Bugs in the room, very noisy between rooms, lukewarm water, etc.. We have a cat and I fell that we were put in a room where cleaniness and up dating wasn't important. The microwave was not working properly and the freezer in the fridge was not freezing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Doffie1974
donald v, Owner at BEST WESTERN Lee-Jackson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for your review of our property. We sent you an email earlier today offering you a free room for your next trip to Winchester. We hope to see you again and that you will have a better stay.
Largo, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

Very convenient excellent location. Restaurant in hotel was very good. very nice restaurants close by. all the employees made you feel welcome. Didn't play golf, but the course looked as if it were in very good condition. Spa was close by

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

donald v, Owner at BEST WESTERN Lee-Jackson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.
Honey Brook, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

Hotel should be torn down and rebuilt! Odor upon entering rooms. Broken furniture, uncomfortable beds, drafty rooms, HVAC not working properly. Escort Drivers allowed to idle/rev diesel engines at 5:00 AM for at least 45 minutes (parking is in front of your doors). Due to doors not sealing properly, diesel fumes enter into your room. Registration area is small (too much furniture in there); if one person is standing at counter, no room to walk between the guest and the furniture to get to the door of Perkins Restaurant. Be careful when parking car at your door - drainage area (not marked) undercarriage of car gets scraped if you pull up too close to the cement parking curb.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Ruth H
Thank you for giving us a try. I'm sorry you were disappointed.
Suffolk, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

Having bad experiences at other best westerns, I hadn't stayed in one in many years, but since this was a good location to what we wanted to do in Winchester, Va. I thought I would give it a shot. Very clean and room was in good repair. Not much noise at night. Will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank producers63
Thanks for your review. We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you again soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Location- Hotel is conveniently located near I-81 but I had difficulty finding the check in. Facilities- It is an older facility but good value for the price. The exercise facility was adequate for my purposes and clean. The outdoor pool looked was closed for maintenance. Parking-Adequate outdoor parking lot Nearby- You are within 20 minutes walking distance of several restaurants and grocery stores. It is a 10 minute drive to the lovely & historic Winchester old town pedestrian district.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

donald v, Owner at BEST WESTERN Lee-Jackson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for your review. We do appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.
MARYVILLE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Booked this hotel on short notice because my regular hotel in Northern Virginia was charging thirty dollars more for the night. Large hotel of two stories. Staff knew my name as I checked in after asking my first name, had my keys and paperwork ready, and were very friendly and sharp. Room was incredibly clean, and TV had many signals and worked well, as did Wi-Fi. Young lady at checkout was also very friendly and sharp, and made my leave-taking a pleasure itself. Hotel offers a 2.50 voucher for breakfast in an adjoining Perkins. Very good Perkins, where I got two eggs over grilled veggies for, essentially, $2.50! Excellent waitress. Only downside was noise from a talkative neighbor who left at 5:30, and car doors whose noise was amplified due to my room's hallway location. I turned on some classical music and actually slept late. Unexpectly fine stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

donald v, Owner at BEST WESTERN Lee-Jackson Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you again soon.