“Real dishes and silverware” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Winchester

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Winchester
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Athens, ga
“Real dishes and silverware”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel numerous times and my wife said it was time for me to write a review since we had always been very satisfied. Traveled once with daughter and family and stopped there then also. It is convenient to I-81, but not so close as to be noisy. Staff always very friendly and accommodating and the manager is often out at the check-in area to greet people. They are a very happy team which makes for happier guest. Rooms clean and quiet. Amenities what you would expect from this chain. Walking distance to a couple restaurants, but if you want more options you will need to get back in your vehicle. Big movie theater almost next door too. Breakfast is very good for this level of chain and they use real dishes, bowls, glasses, etc. and real silverware. Very nice to drink coffee from a cup there and the rest of the time in lobby. (Take-away cups are available.) Oatmeal is a favorite that they make up special.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
CXWNVA, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Winchester, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you so much for all of your kind words. It is greatly appreciated. I say all the time that I am blessed to have the staff that I do and I mean that. They are all great at what they do and it certainly does go a long way and making our guests feel comfortable, welcome and happy!

So glad to hear also that you like the dinnerware and silverware. That is new for Country Inn & Suites and the response has been overwhelmingly positive. It is a nice touch and it also decreases our carbon footprint on the enviornment since we are not putting all of that paper, foam and plastic in the landfills. A win for everyone involved!

We certainly hope you will visit us again when in the area.

Ellen DePoy-Golden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Ottawa, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

We were traveling down from Ottawa to Williamsburg VA, and decided to do a one night stop over in Winchester because we wanted to see the caverns a bit further down. We picked up a coupon book at the Virginia welcome center and saw a coupon for the Country Inn and Suites. I really didn't want to stay because I wanted to head further south towards the caverns and stay the night. Well I am glad we did! We booked a suite (we had 4 of our children traveling with us).
The suite was very clean and had a fridge and micro which is a plus for a large family. There are lots of restaurants as the hotel is located at the edge of a strip mall. We had a swim then went and had dinner and then my husband took the older boys to the movies which right next door.

In the morning we had a great breakfast (loved the salsa omelet) and another swim and continued further south.
The staff were super friendly

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our hotel. I am glad your family had such a wonderful time and we certainly hope to see you again in the future.

State College, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I have traveled extensively and, in general, CI&S hotels tend to be a great value and this one is one of the best! Clean, comfortable and featuring a great staff, we stay here again and again, particularly since we have family in the area.

We've only ever had one problem and that was when a group was on the patio outside our room at 2am, laughing and carrying on. A quick call to the front desk and the problem was solved.

Overall, a great place when traveling the I-81 corridor!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CXWNVA, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Winchester, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We love to hear from our guests and are so happy we were able to meet all of your expectations.

Binghamton, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

First a warning - Google has the wrong location for this hotel, so if you use Google to navigate, you will end up out in the middle of nowhere. The hotel is only about a mile from I-81. Search for the address instead of the property name.

As far as the hotel goes, everything was as you would expect: clean, quiet, and comfortable. Standard make-your-own-waffles breakfast. It seems that a lot of guests use this as a stop-over when traveling, as there were a lot of families around, but it was not loud or crowded.

Special thanks to Jeremiah from Corning! He was very friendly at check-in, took care of getting us a roll-away quickly, and made several dinner recommendations. We took his advice to go to his wife's favorite - I J Canns - and we enjoyed it. My wife was only disappointed that all the shops around it were closed before 9 PM (me, not so much).

Room Tip: Second floor is convenient since you can use the stairs in the lobby and not wait for the elevator e...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We love to hear from our guests and are so happy we were able to meet all of your expectations (except for the Google directions - so sorry about that!)

Daytona Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

This hotel was the first stop of several that we made on a two-week sight-seeing adventure. We spent two nights here and found the room to be clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. Our room was on the backside of the 2nd floor and we didn't hear any of the road noise. My dad was able to use his Nook on the wireless connection with no problems in the room.

There are several restaurants within walking distance (Carrabba's, Outback, McDonald's, Subway and the Alamo Drafthouse) plus several more not too far away. Evan was working the front desk one evening and assisted us in getting a meal delivered from the Alamo Drafthouse. Evan and Margo were both great in making recommendations and providing instructions for getting around town. (Contrary to popular belief, there really are some neat things to see in Winchester.)

Fresh cookies, lemonade and coffee were available and provided a great little afternoon snack or top-off to dinner. The breakfast in the mornings included a nice selection of food items from which to choose. It was nothing spectacular but was still nice to be able to eat without having to trek over McDonald's or elsewhere.

If I ever plan another overnight stay in Winchester, this is where I'll stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tulip76

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stopped short of giving the hotel 5 stars, because of the quality of breakfast. I ate bacon and made my own waffle so I was happy, my family thought the quality of the breakfast could be better. However, it's included in the price so it's still a good deal to me Actually I would say it deserves 4.5 stars.
From the moment we checked it, we were greeted as if we were personal guests, not just paying customers. The beds were comfortable, the room was one of the cleanest hotel rooms, I have ever been in and I'm comparing it to 5 star hotels. This was my first time staying at the chain. My sister, frequents them and recommended te hotel. I will definitely put them at the top of my list of hotels to check availability in the future when we travel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dmwj
CXWNVA, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Winchester, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We love to hear what our guests have to say good or bad as that helps us fine tune our operations and hopefully improve where we need to. Please keep us in mind should you return to the area in the future.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Nice clean rooms We got the one with the hot tub and it was worth the upgrade. Staff very friendly and helpful. Several good restaurants nearby as well as gas station and a movie theater. Breakfast was ok but not memorable.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to complete a review on our property. We value what our guests have to say. Please keep us in mind if your travels bring you back through our area.