“Nice Stay but Pool Issues”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Winchester
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Wantagh, New York
“Nice Stay but Pool Issues”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

My husband and two small boys stayed here in May prior to Memorial Day weekend. We had a nice stay. My only complaint was the pool was constantly closed due to swim lessons, water aerobics, etc. Very hard to explain to two little boys why they couldn't go in the pool. It would have been nice to be notified of this beforehand or given the chance to stay elsewhere. Country Inn - if you're going to have a pool for guests, make sure they get to use it. Especially guests with small children. Otherwise A+.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
CXWNVA, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Winchester, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Thank you for your business and your feedback on our hotel. I am sorry you were frustrated with the pool issues during your stay however you received some incorrect information along the way. Our pool is never closed to hotel guests for swimming lessons. Hotel guests are always welcome to swim in the pool while these individual lessons are going on and if it becomes crowded, swim lessons are cancelled. The only time our pool is closed is 2 evenings a week that we have a water aerobics class. But again, I am sorry this was frustrating for you.

Ellen DePoy-Golden
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Stephens City, Virginia
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Based on a visit to a Country Inn in Cape Canaveral, we decided to stay here while visiting our daughter and grandchildren. We found the same excellent service as we did in Cape Canaveral. The front desk associate, Terry, was extremely friendly and couteous. Being a Carlson Club member, she upgraded us to a suite. The room was very clean and again, the breakfast very good. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our hotel and for sharing this feedback with us. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Ellen DePoy-Golden
GM
NYC
Reviewed July 18, 2011

As a "GOLDPOINTS" member, I've stayed at this location on four separate occasions. The last on July 2, 2011. Each time I stayed the staff was great but the last two times
have "sealed the deal" on not coming back. Keep in mind that I still have faith in "Country Inns". But this location needs to get it's act together .
On my April stay I had room on third floor and was told the elevator was out of order and I wasn't about to carry baggage up the stairs. Relocated to a room on the first floor the tenants in second floor room above made me feel like I was inside of a bass drum.
Not the best experience but we all have a bad day we'd like to forget.

So I didn't hesitate to book again (7-2-11) because I love the close proximity to the Outbak restaurant across the parking lot. To your left is the Alamo Drafthouse multi-plex cinema which is a fabulous dining/movie experience. There's also a McDonald's and a Subway if you want take-out. A gas station/mini-mart is immediately to your right. All this
in very short walking distance of one another.

I reached the end of my rope on my last visit in July. I wasn't expecting miracles, but this time the elevator did work. What I didn't count on was sharing the room with BEDBUGS!
A complete surprise and a total dissapointment. I had to listen to my wife complain about that all the way back to New York. That in itself will keep me from returning.

STAY AWAY FROM ROOM #303

Room Tip: Once you do get a room, inspect bed thoroughly. If you have any additional issues, staff will do the...
3 Thank Johnny-Paycheck
CXWNVA, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Winchester, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
This is a situation and issue our hotel takes very seriously and I apologize that you feel you had negative experiences at our hotel. As I stated in the email sent to you yesterday, I have made a full refund of your room. We would have done this immediately had we known of the problems you experienced while you were here.

If you have any further problems or would like to discuss these experiences please feel free to contact me at 540-869-7049 Ext. 405.

Thank you.
Taylors, South Carolina
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We have been impressed with the Country Inn and Suites chain as a whole. This hotel helped solidify our opinion.

This hotel provided accommodations that were clean, quiet, and a good size.

The breakfast variety was very good and the cookies were a nice treat.

There is an Outback right across the street as well as a movie theater and an Aldi.

Upper Black Eddy, PA
Reviewed July 13, 2011

What a surprise to find real plates and real silverware for the complimentary breakfast - I get frustrated trying to cut the waffles at other hotels using the plastic knife.
Pool water was comfortable and great front desk staff.
Would never want to tell them, however they could charge $20.00 more per night and it would be worth the money, one of the best!

1 Thank TheTraveler2037
Richmond, Rhode Island
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Looking for a change from our usual Winchester, VA area road trip stop, I booked us into the Country Inn and Suites Winchester. From getting the reservation taken care of easily (direct call to the front desk) - to a warm greeting by the night clerk (same young man on 2 trips) - to a great breakfast spread and simple checkout, we could not have been more satisfied. The price was OK- $95- and on a second trip through on Memorial Day Weekend, we ordered from Outback and they delivered right on time with everything we needed to eat in our room. (if it wasn't 11 p.m., I'd have definitely asked if we could have used the large dining area downstairs.) The only drawback here is that I felt the mattresses were a bit firm for me on both trips-- and I prefer a firm mattress. The only other problem I could see- which Country Inn and Suites has no control over- is that you take the exit and right away take the second one immediately after. You'd think it wouldn't be confusing, but somehow it was. Watch the signs carefully and you'll be right there. Exiting I felt that there needed to be a sign directing you to 81 rather than just Rte 11. But that's not a deal breaker.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Luvamoose67
Winchester, VA
Reviewed June 13, 2011

If you are going to be in the area and have time to catch a movie, get the Alamo package. Alamo works for dinner and a show, and you can't beat the package deal.

• Stayed October 2010