“soap scum and tons of hair”

Courtyard Winchester Medical Center
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Visited this hotel was given a handicap room the beds were ok but shower was gross soap scum on shower head and hair in bath tub, hair on the floor hair in the sink, yuk!!! poor job of cleaning. had to go to my car found drunk man in stairtower passed out.. worst marroitt ever will not come back even if it was free. saw comments here and thought it would be good must be the luck of the draw on room selection.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank tiger b
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Winchester Medical Center

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay at this property! Everything was new, comfortable and clean. Will definitely stay again when we travel in the area. Front desk personnel were very accomodating. A+++

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Nice big room and bathroom. On a tour of Virginia, this was the only hotel we stayed in that breakfast was not included - however it was available at a good price, good choice and in a nice eating space. Also had a bar and a little food market in the lobby. Strange though that the more upmarket the hotel the less likely it is the room will have a fridge! (None here).

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sicarius1
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We were surprised that this room did not have a mini refrigerator as most hotels do anymore. This was more of a 70's type hotel room that needs some updating. The TV was not an HDTV but an older big model. We were placed on the parking lot street side which was a bit noisy and the walls were paper thin and we could hear people two doors past ours. We have particulars listed on my Marriott rewards card that we had to ask for, such as extra towels and newspaper delivery. When I asked the clerk about the newspaper, she said we don't deliver a paper on weekends, but we were there on Thursday night and did not get a paper on Friday. This was just an average stay, we were out most of the weekend so I did not complain about a fridge. This was certainly below Marriott quality. We will not stay at a Courtyard Marriott again since they cannot live up to the standards of the Marriott name.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the street side, get one on the inside, there were plenty available.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Lorraine B
Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

We were part of a group of about forty out of town guests staying in Winchester for a Memorial Weekend baseball tournament.
Not only were we given a fair rate with breakfast for the weekend- but, after we checked out,and then rained out of our last game, the hotel went the extra mile and eased us comfortably back into a third nights stay.
Fresh omlets for breakfast every morning helped energize us for enjoying Winchesters environment.
Even after we checked out the Courtyards customer focused staff came to our rescue by phoning us to let us know we had left some medicines in our room and held them at the front desk until we returned to pick them up,

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 28, 2012

...but it's not a Super 8. It's a Courtyard whose rating would quickly be higher with a little more effort by the staff and owners to do what should be done, especially for a Courtyard.

When I review a hotel I look at three major areas. The first is basic for every hotel from a Red Roof Inn to a Hyatt Regency: Is it clean (including the environment) and does everything work as it should? Every traveler has the absolute right to a room that's clean and everything works as it should.

Second, I compare to other hotels of the brand and then, third, of the competition and/or local area. When a Courtyard isn't up to snuff it's serious stuff because this is the brand that advertises:

--The best surprise is no surprise.
--Designed by business travelers for business travelers.

So Courtyards are evaluated as well on whether there are unpleasant surprises and whether the property fits in with the model of being business traveler oriented.

The Winchester Courtyard is probably less than a decade old and SHOULD be one of the nicer properties but staff and management neglect and chintziness bring it down.

Checkin was painless and friendly. I got to my room and things looked OK -- but then I got my first surprise.

I opened the door for the refrigerator cabinet to put away my bottle of soda. Surprise! The refrigerator was missing. (Not all Courtyards have refrigerators in the room but if they do there's a space for them.)

Then I went to the desk and saw that slightly under half of the space was occupied by a TV that was state of the art at the end of the last century. Not necessarily a deal breaker but there was dust on the front that I wiped off. Then I pulled out the chair and it had several stains on it. It also would not raise up from the ground. I took the stained kindergarten chair to the front desk and several minutes later a replacement arrived.

I lost some valuable time waiting for the replacement chair. While waiting for it I got some ice to have a glass of soda. Another surprise: no glasses! Just two flimsy plastic cups. Motel 6 would be proud of this chintziness. There was a pen and note pad by the bed but not on the desk. Another chintzy move unbecoming a Courtyard.

The next surprise was in the bathroom. The shower head was gross with significant deposits of lime, calcium or some other sediments. The jets were partially clogged although water temperature and pressure were OK. No lotion in the bathroom (another chintzy move). There was also some sloppily repaired vandalism in the elevator.

So, was everything clean and did it work as it should? Nope. Compared to other Courtyards this one was below average. I'll give it a D+. It also does not rate well vs. Hilton Garden Inn which has real glasses, a very good chair, a refrigerator and microwave and even pads and pens on the desk and by the bed.

This place isn't horrible and what I didn't mention was certainly up to Courtyard's norm. As stated, this would be one of the best Super 8 properties. But it's a Courtyard and the stadd, management and ownership need to get on the stick. Except for something like a burned out bulb a guest shouldn't have to bring a deficiency to the hotel's attention. There are hotel employees in virually every room virtually every day. For example, that gross shower head should have been repaired or replaced and same for the chair. If the hotel's employees don't catch these things and management doesn't have them repaired, shame on them.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank 6530bx4
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I stayed at this property one night last year and booked a return for 4 nights, followed by another single night. Upon arrival, the front desk staff person went out of her way to meet my requests for top floor/king/with in-room fridge. My room was spacious and comfortable. Everything worked properly. Two nights later, when I returned for the single night, I got another top floor king on the other side of the building; the side facing the interstate. It was quite noisy the next morning. I still like this property very much and would highly recommend it; just ask for the back side of the building if noise will bother you.

Room Tip: Ask for the side away from the highway.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo