“Great Hotel, sans wireless & fridge” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Winchester Medical Center

Courtyard Winchester Medical Center
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Hotel, sans wireless & fridge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

Nice hotel, clean, attentive employees. Quiet atmosphere, comfortable bed, plenty of towels, would definitely stay again. Free internet, but no wireless. No fridge. Breakfast avail for $10...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Wayland, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

We needed clean quiet place to sleep en route to South Carolina on Christmas Day & that's exactly what we got. We didn't attempt to use any other features of the hotel so can't comment. (Don't ever travel on Christmas Day unless you pack your own meals - Nothing is opened!! except a Denny's - FOR CHRISTMAS DINNER????)
We had a basic room which was comfortable and clean with a small functional bathroom supplied with basic products. The room was quiet and the beds were comfortable. The staff was friendly (especially the breakfast egg/omelet chef) and they made sure that we were not impacted by the two tour busses whose arrival and departure coincided with ours. The buffet breakfast was well done. We had planned to stay here on our return trip and we certainly would have if the weather had not forced us to take a more coastal route home.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

We had to make an unexpected trip from NC to PA for two funerals last week. Prior to staying at TownPlace Suites by Marriott both on the way to PA and back to NC, we knew nothing about the hotel. We were extremely pleased with the convenience & quiteness away from the highway. Staff was very helpful, flat-screen tv's were very nice. Beds were extremely comfortable. Everything about TownPlace by Marriott was excellent and we will definitely make reservations at this hotel again while traveling. (Stayed in Wilmington-Newark Delaware and Winchester, VA.)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

This was my second stay at the hotel. Several things were odd. At various times, there was no one at the front desk. Once, I could see a person through the open door at the back of the desk area and when I said hello to get his attention he didn't even turn around for about 30 seconds. Once, a person from the breakfast room helped me.When a person was there, they were generally helpful.

Although the place semed clean enough, I don't know what the problem with the cleaning staff was. It seemed that they really did not want to clean the rooms. One morning, the housekeeper knocked and asked if anything was needed-it wasn't that late to be leaving a room-maybe 9:00 am. After all, it was a vacation. I said we would be out of the room shortly and she could come in then. The entire stay the pillows on the bed were never moved. They were just as smashed down as when we got up. That also happened on the previous stay.

The hotel does have a toilet problem. Last time I stayed the toilet overflowed and this time it took 2 flushes to make the paper disappear. Both times, they were fixed promptly, but I would think a hotel would have more heavy duty fixtures.

I

Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Valley Forge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

Apparently, this is one of the hotels contracted with Priceline because I bid $45/night and ended here. For $45, it was a superior value; rack rate was almost twice that.

As others have noted, the hotel is rather new and not on GPS or maps yet. It's at a high profile intersection (Rtes 37 & 50) so once you find it you're OK, but I had trouble coming in. Apparently, they're building the area up because there are a few access roads to nowhere under construction. Still, the hotel was full and they were unable to accommodate early check-in. In fact, I didn't get to my room until about 3:15.

The public areas are nicer than most Courtyards. The rooms were nice as well, though a bit oddly layed out: the foot of my bed faced the window and the TV was off to the side at the foot of the bed. There was a decent loveseat and a standard workstation in the room as well but no refrigerator or microwave (odd, because there IS an alcove for the fridge.)

My room was exposed to pretty loud external noise; I drew the curtains but it was still a bit louder than I'd like.

All in all, I was satisfied. It wasn't neither horrible or dirty (though I didn't see the pool or the fitness areas) nor was it the nicest place I've stayed, though it was above average by Courtyard standards.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Tampa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

I'm Platinum (3 straight years)--you'd think they'd honor at least 1 thing in my profile, but no. Toilet leaked since we moved in...they brought towels to mop it up. Finally just called again to ask for someone to just fix the darn thing. When they make the beds...they don't even MOVE the pillows...when you buy items from their "market", they are bad (freezer burn---obviously very old). Nothing major --just nothing good. We're staying here on points before we drop my daughter off at school ---we've stayed here on all the school trips to get to this point and each time its been the same. I think we'll just try a new hotel next time we're here. It's not that it is bad, it's just not very good.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

I reviewed this Courtyard about 4 months ago and gave it 4 stars as a solid choice for the business traveler looking for clean, basic accommodation and friendly service at a decent price.

Since that review, I've stayed at the Courtyard near half a dozen times, and while the friendly service is still there, I've noticed the standards of upkeep and cleanliness are declining. In the workout area, the treadmills are now almost non-functioning (only one works, but you can't change the incline). It took a while to get there - first one machine went down, then another - but now it's near impossible to find a time when the single functioning machine is unoccupied.

I began to notice dirt / insects in the public areas and hallways, and then began to notice them in my room. On my last stay, there were cobwebs in the window areas, the bed looked almost made, and a broken shower curtain hook on the floor was left on the floor for two days (a little social experiment on my part).

I can no longer recommend this property. Happily, I've found a nice replacement at the new Aloft.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business