WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel

The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
roanoke, va
“Elegantly restored affordable boutique hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2011

What a wonderful stop on our way to Philadelphia! This recently restored downtown hotel offered all the amenities of an upscale hotel, but at a modest cost. Right in the center of historical downtown Winchester (only a few miles off Rt. 81) and only a block from the shop-filled pedestrian mall, the George Washington is a convenient location. Parking was only a few steps from the building. Check-in was friendly and quick. Our room on the fifth floor was so pretty and well appointed. The bed was heavenly, the linens luxurious, the shower made you want to linger, and the vanity was so spacious.
We ate at the Dancing Goat restaurant on the pool level. Attentive service and creative entrees.We each had the beet salad (because we didn't want to share) with greens, beet mousse and pickled beets in a citrus vinaigrette. It was awesome! My husband had the stuffed quail and I had the grilled scallops.
We ended up in the Half Note bar on the lobby level for an after dinner drink. What a beautiful room with two 12'x8' paintings of jazz singers and rich woodwork. They even had live music --on a Wednesday night.
Will we stay here there again---absolutely. BTW the room was $97 including tax.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Fairfax Station, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2011

The lowdown:
-Reasonable price (89/night with good view)
-Well appointed rooms (comfortable bed, elegant decor)
-Two blocks from the main square with shops
-Friendly staff
-Beautiful swimming area (indoors)
-Slamming doors (hallway noise) - only negative
-Restaurant food was so-so (we went for breakfast)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
New Berlin, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2011

I work for a major retailer. Part of my job is to check on the quality of our printed materials on sight at our print vendors. We have print vendors across the country supplying 30-45 million newspaper inserts per week. Needless to say I stay at quite a few hotels over the course of a year. The George Washington is one of my favorites. It has a lot of personality and quite a history. First let me say that I never review any hotel until I've stayed there at least three times. My last stay was late November early December 2010. The front office/desk staff are always very accommodating, professional and kind. I suggest you ask to have the room safe charge removed when you check in (if you don't intend to use it). The $4 per night parking charge seems fair for downtown parking. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are quite large. I always make it a point to have breakfast at the Dancing Goat Restaurant located next to the elevator on the pool level. They had just started a new breakfast menu on my last trip. The manager stopped and asked how everything was as did the chef. The chef offered to make anything from the old menu if I wanted. My meal was excellent. Thanks to all for making me feel at home.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

My husband and I always make this our choice of hotel coming back from NY. The price is great and we enjoy staying at this hotel very much. It is close enough for us to get back on the freeway returning to our home. We plan to go back for a weekend the walking mall downtown is so quaint lots of places to eat...
I would recommend this little town...
It has come a long way since we first started staying in Winchester four years ago...
This hotel is worth the trip...

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2010

I enjoyed this Hotel as it is very clean and up to date with luxurious furnishings, a great Bed and Great Bathroom. My only negatives were when I asked the Front Desk girl to switch my room because the neighbors were so loud, she was very impatient with me and quite nasty. She did let me switch to a quieter room, but I could tell I made her mad. Also the Restaurant downstairs was nice and the food was good...but the service was TERRIBLE and the PRICES WAY TOO HIGH for what you got. Waiter was awful. He made no conversation whatsoever and did not seem to know what he was doing. He never checked on us and we constantly had to ask where he was.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jake4868
Onancock, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2010

Stayed on a Sunday night at room rate of $87 for 2 very comfy queen beds in a beautifully remodeled hotel in historic area. Great restaurant on-site. BUT additional tax of $8.70 + a safe charge of $1.50 (didn't use) + $4.00 on-site parking (didn't use the garage-parked in lot for restaurant). Can't do anything about the tax, but you should argue the other two charges.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LEG482
GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2010
I appreciate your business and thank you for your comments. The hotel is in a historic downtown area with limited parking, unfortunately since parking is at a premium we have to charge a small fee for overnight guests. The parking fee does include in and out previlages with unlimited valet / bellman services. The safes were installed to give our costumers the peace of mind of a $10,000 limited warranty for their valuables. The safe fee can be waived as detailed on the sticker on the front door of the unit.

Thanks again and happy holidays.
Winchester, Virginia USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

I won a free night at the The George Washington Hotel from the John Handley High School Key Club. I live less than a mile from the hotel and used the occasion for a quick night away my wife. We had a wonderful time and the George Washington Hotel is a gorgeous property in an excellent location. We also had excellent drinks and an appetizer at The Half Note which is the lobby bar. The George Washington Hotel is second to none in Winchester and I can't imagine why anyone who visits Winchester would want to stay anywhere else. It is a short walk from the hotel to several fine downtown dining establishments including One Block West, Village Square and Violinos. Many thanks to Glen Burke who owns the property and very graciously donated the room to Handley's Key Club. This hotel has been lovingly restored and Winchester is a better community because of it. And lastly, I love this hotel enough that I have made a reservation for family visiting for Thanksgiving. I am sure they will love it!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple