“Excellent place to stay”

The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Spent 2 nights & enjoyed our stay. Rooms were immaculate & very tasteful. Good value for the money. However, Wyndham (which owns this hotel) is the pits. They advertise special rates on their website, but you can't get them. FALSE ADVERTISING.

I first called the George Washington & was told discounts must come from Wyndham. No suites or upgrades were available so i booked a $99/nite room (the best they had for that weekend). Then tried the website, which only gives basic reservations (no discounts).

I called Wyndham & was first told the discount wasn't available for that hotel. I asked why it was included in the list of participating hotels? She had no answer, so I asked for her supervisor, who proceeded to dance around the issue. Finally, he said he'd give me the Wyndham Weekender rate on a $139/nite basic room. I told him I'd already talked to the hotel & those rooms are $99/nite! He was polite but knew I nailed him. We didn't get a discount, & will never consider Wyndham for accomodations again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,008)

Reviewed January 24, 2010

Needing a night away from all the hustle and bustle of everyday life, my husband and I decided to book a room in Winchester. After reading all the reviews we decided that GW Inn would surely meet our standards. Little did we know that they would not only meet our standards but exceed our standards. From the courteous customer service, to the cleanliness, to the beauty of it all....we were thoroughly impressed. Our suite could not have been any more romantic. From the fireplace (which was lit and ready for our arrival) to the 2 person jacuzzi to the spacious shower.......everything was just perfect. Lets not mention the most comfortable bed I think we have ever slept in! This will most definately be on the top of our list for most romantic destinations! Thanks so much for the wonderful stay!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank happycplnmd
Reviewed December 7, 2009

We travelled the weekend of Thanksgiving with our four-year-old daughter. The first thing I think of is the service. We were promptly greeted by a hotel bell hop who helped us with our luggage and parking. The front desk attendants were extremely helpful in providing us information on where the main attractions were, etc. Check-in was quick and painless.

The rooms are beautiful and spacious. The hotel's renovation is just beautiful. My daughter loved the huge Christmas tree displayed in the lobby. I was very surprised that the hotel's restaurant "The Dancing Goat" was actually very good. We ate breakfast there each morning. The pancakes and breakfast potatoes were our favorites. We would have tried lunch and dinner, but we had to get out and see a bit of Winchester.

The hotel is in walking distance of the pedestrian mall near by. For children, the Discovery Museum in there so it was a perfect activity for our daughter. We were also able to enjoy the indoor pool. The decor of the pool sort of resembled an old Roman bath. Very nice.

We would definitely stay again. Lovely hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 24, 2009

What a beautiful hotel near historic downtown!

I cannot say enough about this historic hotel. Fantastic location, beautiul decor, fine dining and wonderful ambiance throughout!

We will stay here again soon!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Beautiful renovations in the great, interesting, cool and unusual hotel in downtown Winchester. Bed was very comfortable with lovely linens. I did have a few problems with my stay, most of which dealt with being almost directly over the bar on Saturday night. First, I could hear the music from the bar in my room. Second, there seemed to be more than a usual number of drunks (though this was not the fault of the hotel) and they all seemed to be staying on my floor. Lots of slamming doors and drama in the halls, which went on for more than an hour. Barking dog in the room across the hall. I did complain about the noise, but talking the the noise-perps directly put an end to it. I will stay here again in an upcoming trip, but will ask for a room away from the bar and recommend you do the same.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2009

excellent value great location.loved the town. pet freindly

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2009

We stayed here for a weekend getaway. The hotel underwent a $20+ renovation and is in great condition. There is a large bar off the lobby, which was busy and active. There is a piano player at night. The lobby is nice with a lot of marble. The front desk staff was very nice and efficient. We had a corner room and is seems a bit larger than your normal room. We heard that each floor has one room with a fireplace. There is free wi fi Internet in the rooms; you have to wonder why Wyndham and Omni can provide free Internet and others like Sheraton, Westin and Marriott still do not. The bathroom is very nice for a hotel in this level and price- large with a huge marble shower. No tub in this bathroom. The vanity is a nice granite, but a little small for toiletries. Towels are good quality. Flat screen tv in the room and a good sized desk, plus a leather sitting chair. There was a small hair on the bed by the pillow, which I hate hair in a room as I note in many reviews- so I've marked down the room for cleanliness. The is an interesting roman style indoor pool. It is too small for swimming laps. There is a hot tub as well. The gym is not great. It has a treadmill, elipitical and bike, plus a rack of hand weights. There are free water and towels in the gym room. Certainly a workout can be done, but the equipment is obviously limited. The location can't be beat. It is a block from the pedestrian mall where there are many shops and the best restaurants in town. Be sure to check out Violino restaurant, which is wonderful. The chef's testing menu is the way to go; he comes out to the table to discuss with you and then the wonderful food starts showing up. I have reviewed other restaurants in town- including The Dancing Goat, One Block West, and La Nicoise. The Shenendoah Museum and Glen Burnie House, plus Belle Grove Plantation are worth a visit. I don't think you can go wrong with a visit to The George Washington hotel and spending some time in this lovely town.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple