“Surprising little gem”

The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed December 4, 2008

The hotel is in downtown WInchester. Lovely. Completely redone. Excellent location. Across the street is the walkable Old Winchester. Fun shops. Very pretty.
We stayed over the Thanksgiving holiday . The hotel was quiet, but the staff were professional and on their game.

The bar is modern, as is the restaurant. We did have drinks in the bar. Very nice. We were visiting relatives for Thanksgiving so we never ate in the restaurant.

The pool is fun, especially for kids. It is not a lap pool. It is pillared throughout. And there is also a hot tub.
The small cubicle of a gym is sufficient, nothing great--but it has enough & we worked out there each day.

We booked a suite. The bedroom and bath were top-notch.
Gorgeous. But the living room was odd.

We walked into the suite and there is a pretty couch, tables, chairs, lamps, flat screen TV. All the furniture was pushed to the walls and there is no rug. The room is just a large expanse of hardwood floor. It looked like the hotel ran out of money and couldn't furnish this room properly. The rest of the hotel is plush and strewn with fabulous Oriental rugs. By comparison, our suite living area was bare and out of place. And yet, the bedroom area and bath were warm and tastefully decorated.

Didn't make sense to us.
The morning maid said that all the suites looked this way--with no carpet or rug in the livining area of the suite. She too felt that the room didn't match the rest of the suite or hotel. We brought guests up to watch a bit of a football game, but we all left, and went back down to the bar--the room was that stiff and poorly thought out.

This is a little gem in the middle of the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. It's reasonably priced too. I recommend it.
Just tell corporate management to come up with the money for a few rugs to finish off the suites and this gem will sparkle like the diamond it should be.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank KateOK
Write a ReviewReviews (1,981)

Reviewed November 4, 2008

My husband and I stayed for his birthday weekend. It was absolutely beautiful. It felt like we were staying at a very upscale, expensive hotel. Clean, comfortable, great staff, smelled new.
We also loved the walking mall a few blocks away. A+experience at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2008

Great old restored hotel in the heart of old town Winchester. Rooms have all the modern amenities with just enough of the classic grand hotel feel. The bathroom was spacious and very elegant and for $99.00 (AARP) a night the price was a bargain.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 5, 2008

We stayed at the George Washington Hotel for our one year anniversary and truly enjoyed our stay. It was very affordable, everything was new (just renovated) and the staff were friendly and helpful. We needed directions to dinner in White Post, and they looked them up and printed them out in less than a minute! Our room was clean and very nice, obviously new and well kept. We would stay here again if in Winchester, although we can't say much about the town as we didn't look around too much. Overall, a great price for a nice hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 28, 2008

My husband and I spent the night at the GW on our way from Michigan to the Outer Banks. We found the hotel to be absolutely beautiful. I felt like I was staying at a very upscale hotel but the room was only $120 a night. The lobby was elegant and impressive. Our room and bathroom were very plush. It all seemed very luxurious. The bed was super comfy and I loved the shower! My only complaint was the parking situation. We had to park on the street a block away and I was a little nervous about someone breaking into our car. But, thankfully no one did. Also, the ladies at the checkout counter could have been nicer. It was after 11:00pm when we checked in, so they were probably tired, but they didn't seem very welcoming to us. All in all, though, it was a beautiful place.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2008

I decided to take my boyfriend out for a little get away for a night, and chose the George Washington Hotel. Mainly because since it had opened I wanted to stay, and we both work in the hospitality industry and enjoy seeing other properties. Let me tell you this place is gorgeous! I highly enjoy older buildings, they have so much character, and do not look like any other property. I indulged in the King Luxury Suite, the price was $249 plus the 10% tax, but well worth it!!! When you walk in the guest room, the first thing you see is hardwood floors, very clean lines and neutral pallete. There is a 40 inch plasma tv above the fireplace in the living room, and to your right is your wet bar, and a cute dining room with a modern chandelier. All surrounded by the original windows of the first George Washington Hotel. When you go to the bedroom which is behind two doors, you have berber carpet, a four post bed with a sheer linen at the head of the bed (which was very romantic) the bed is top of the line serta mattress. Another rather large tv at the foot of the bed and you have an ipod hookup on your alarm clock. The room comes with two robes for your hot tub experience. After you have gone through the bedroom you have another set of two doors that open to your marble floored bathroom. Two person vanity, AMAZING SHOWER!!! The shower has several options, you can use just the standard shower head, or you can use the rainfall shower head along with the standard wall mounted head, plus did I mention there are four wall jets? Unfortunatly I am too short to use them face forward (they got me in my eye) but we didn't want to get out!!! Your toilet is also in a seperate room, which is a huge plus! I do have some minor complaints, but nothing worthwhile for me to go to the front desk about, like lipstick still on my glasses at the wet bar, I just washed them myself and got over it, I didn't want to ruin a good night. Another complaint was the minimal options for room service. But other than that I love this place and we will definatly be staying there again!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2008

This historic hotel is beautiful in every way with the exception of front desk hospitality. My planned stay was for a regional educational conference in late September, 2008. After driving five hours, my three colleagues and I arrived at midnight to find a mix-up in the reservations. We were unable to stay at the GW as planned, and had to travel across town to a Wingate Inn, where we had excellent service and very comfortable accomodations after checking in at 2:00 a.m.

When we arrived at the GW Inn, the representative at the front desk was unfriendly, angry, and unaccomodating. She stated the hotel was full, but comped rooms for us at the Wingate across town. Not only did we miss out on staying in the historic hotel with foot access to Old Town, we missed the morning portion of our conference including breakfast because we were so late getting into a room the night before. To make matters worse, GW billed us for rooms we never stayed in at above the conference room rate involving more time and effort to get the overcharge credited.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Grandmere2
cmbotto, Managing Director at The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2008

We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to evaluate how we may have fallen short of guest expectations, and subsequently implement corrective plans. Our research revealed that this guests travel arrangements were made by their supervisor. This contact was informed at the time of the reservation that the requested room types were not available for the requested date. Alternate room types were then offered and accepted. This information may not have been passed along by the person making the reservation to their employees, causing them to learn at the time of arrival that their original room type requests were not available. We understand how frustrating this could be and as a goodwill gesture our team relocated the guests to another hotel and paid for their rooms at the alternate hotel. We strive to provide positive and friendly service when guest issues arise and this guest experience has been discussed fully with our team.