$96
$93
Sleep Inn & Suites(Winchester)(Great Value!)
$80
Country Inn
$99
Hampton.com
2,105 results
All reviewspedestrian mallhalf note loungeparking garagelobby barlovely hotelhistoric districttwo blockshotel restaurantlarge bathroompool and hot tubrestaurants and shopswalk in showerspent one nightshenandoah valleyroad tripking roomgw
Reviewed September 28, 2008

My husband and I spent the night at the GW on our way from Michigan to the Outer Banks. We found the hotel to be absolutely beautiful. I felt like I was staying at a very upscale hotel but the room was only $120 a night. The lobby was elegant and impressive. Our room and bathroom were very plush. It all seemed very luxurious. The bed was super comfy and I loved the shower! My only complaint was the parking situation. We had to park on the street a block away and I was a little nervous about someone breaking into our car. But, thankfully no one did. Also, the ladies at the checkout counter could have been nicer. It was after 11:00pm when we checked in, so they were probably tired, but they didn't seem very welcoming to us. All in all, though, it was a beautiful place.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2008

I decided to take my boyfriend out for a little get away for a night, and chose the George Washington Hotel. Mainly because since it had opened I wanted to stay, and we both work in the hospitality industry and enjoy seeing other properties. Let me tell you this place is gorgeous! I highly enjoy older buildings, they have so much character, and do not look like any other property. I indulged in the King Luxury Suite, the price was $249 plus the 10% tax, but well worth it!!! When you walk in the guest room, the first thing you see is hardwood floors, very clean lines and neutral pallete. There is a 40 inch plasma tv above the fireplace in the living room, and to your right is your wet bar, and a cute dining room with a modern chandelier. All surrounded by the original windows of the first George Washington Hotel. When you go to the bedroom which is behind two doors, you have berber carpet, a four post bed with a sheer linen at the head of the bed (which was very romantic) the bed is top of the line serta mattress. Another rather large tv at the foot of the bed and you have an ipod hookup on your alarm clock. The room comes with two robes for your hot tub experience. After you have gone through the bedroom you have another set of two doors that open to your marble floored bathroom. Two person vanity, AMAZING SHOWER!!! The shower has several options, you can use just the standard shower head, or you can use the rainfall shower head along with the standard wall mounted head, plus did I mention there are four wall jets? Unfortunatly I am too short to use them face forward (they got me in my eye) but we didn't want to get out!!! Your toilet is also in a seperate room, which is a huge plus! I do have some minor complaints, but nothing worthwhile for me to go to the front desk about, like lipstick still on my glasses at the wet bar, I just washed them myself and got over it, I didn't want to ruin a good night. Another complaint was the minimal options for room service. But other than that I love this place and we will definatly be staying there again!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2008

This historic hotel is beautiful in every way with the exception of front desk hospitality. My planned stay was for a regional educational conference in late September, 2008. After driving five hours, my three colleagues and I arrived at midnight to find a mix-up in the reservations. We were unable to stay at the GW as planned, and had to travel across town to a Wingate Inn, where we had excellent service and very comfortable accomodations after checking in at 2:00 a.m.

When we arrived at the GW Inn, the representative at the front desk was unfriendly, angry, and unaccomodating. She stated the hotel was full, but comped rooms for us at the Wingate across town. Not only did we miss out on staying in the historic hotel with foot access to Old Town, we missed the morning portion of our conference including breakfast because we were so late getting into a room the night before. To make matters worse, GW billed us for rooms we never stayed in at above the conference room rate involving more time and effort to get the overcharge credited.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Grandmere2
cmbotto, Managing Director at The George Washington a Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2008

We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to evaluate how we may have fallen short of guest expectations, and subsequently implement corrective plans. Our research revealed that this guests travel arrangements were made by their supervisor. This contact was informed at the time of the reservation that the requested room types were not available for the requested date. Alternate room types were then offered and accepted. This information may not have been passed along by the person making the reservation to their employees, causing them to learn at the time of arrival that their original room type requests were not available. We understand how frustrating this could be and as a goodwill gesture our team relocated the guests to another hotel and paid for their rooms at the alternate hotel. We strive to provide positive and friendly service when guest issues arise and this guest experience has been discussed fully with our team.

Reviewed September 14, 2008

My family (me, wife and 3 year old daughter) stayed at the George Washington in early September 2008 and had a great time. The hotel is mid-priced, but FEELS like a much more expensive place. The service was excellent from check-in to check-out. There was a jazz band playing in the lobby bar/restaurant that had my daughter transfixed, and she loved the uniforms of the doorman and bellboys. The building has a lot of history, and it shows. The rooms are small (we had 2 doubles) but VERY comfy. The beds are soft and the sheets are just right. Bathrooms are hands down the nicest I have seen in a hotel, including in hotels that cost 3 times as much. Rooms have 32 inch lcd tv's, which are nice. BUT - a waste. I don't understand why hotels provide HDTVs, but no HD content! They do have HDMI inputs if you have an HD camcorder or laptop with a Blu-Ray drive. I was able to hook my Nikon D300 up to view photos. Hotel is smack dab in the middle of downtown, one block from the pedestrian mall. There are several nice shops and restaurants on the mall, including a bookstore with a good selection of childrens books, and a childrens museum that we highly recommend for families. Oh - the pool is wild! All in all we rate this hotel a MUST STAY!

Pros: historic architecture, comfy beds, outstanding bathrooms, friendly service
Cons: Parking stinks - they are in the process of building a garage, and until then, parking is SCARCE! I would stay again in a heartbeat though.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 25, 2008

Where to start. My wife and I booked a room for our honeymoon back in May. Being from the area, we were aware of all the buzz in regard to the NEW George Washington hotel. Since this was a second marriage for both of us and with five kids at home, we didn't want to venture to far from home.

Our expecations were never met. For starters, when we booked the reservation over the phone NO ONE from the hotel was able to describe ANY of the rooms. Np one knew of any amentities or what was different amongst the room. We were transferred to several different people and was finally transferred to HOUSEKEEPING for them to describe the room.

We finally booked a room. As a previous writer stated, the hotel seems empty, but was unable to book anything other than a standard room.

We get to the front desk and immediately could tell that the front desk person didn't really know what to do. Didn't give our keys in a lil package, didn't tell us where the elevators where etc.

We get to the room and the key didn't work. Went back downstairs to the front desk and explained the situation. Very apologetic at the desk and was given new keys. Well, you guessed it, those keys didn't work either.

Almost comical at this stage. I was actually still giving them the benefit of the doubt, being new and all. My wife contacted someone within Wyndham to explain our stay. We weren't overly complaining. We thought someone needed to know what bugs they needed to work out. They gave us a free night stay at any Wyndham property which was really cool..We decided to go back last week to the same property..again...
five kids at home.don't allow much for travel. We had upgraded the room to a JR suite..Which was nice..fireplace, flat screen, rain shower, hot towel rack, jacuzzi tub....The rain shower flooded the bath room, and the hot towel rack didn't work.

The entire stay costed us $44.00 dollars. When we got home and checked our bank statement online, we noticed that they charged us 94.00. We called and the hotel explained that the extra fifty was an advanced charge to cover any incidentals like room service and that the 50 would be credited back. I just checked my statement and instead of crediting me back the fifty, they credited me back the 44.00!!

Called to explained the sitaution and "they have know idea how that happened" I had to leave a message for the manager who isn't working today to call me back. I am sure it will be recitified, but is still very aggravating. What would have happened if I didn't check.

Probably last visit to this hotel. At the end of the day, the local Hampton Inn has just as decent rooms

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank child_of_the_hoodlum

We appreciate this feedback as it allows us to evaluate how we may have fallen short of guest expectations, and subsequently implement corrective plans. This guests response covered two different stays. The first stay involved issues with the reservation agents knowledge of the different room type options, as well as an issue with the keys not working. Reservation inquiries are handled by an offsite central reservations office. As a new hotel, the agents were not familiar with the different room type options offered. The hotel team has worked closely with the reservation office to remedy this issue including regular test calls to improve training. The hotel has also resolved the issue with the electronic keys and guestroom water issue as we fully understand how frustrating this would be to any guest. As a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience, a complimentary free night stay was offered and used for a return visit. Following their second stay our management team made direct contact by phone to discuss the guests hotel experience. The guest informed us that the billing issue was simply that they did not understand how financial institutions handle debit card transactions and apologized for making this a hotel issue. This guest also informed us of how professional and friendly the hotel staff was during both stays. We apologized for the guestroom issues that arose and for not meeting their expectations. These issues have been remedied. We strive to provide an outstanding hotel experience and will always work to improve our guests experience.