“Spa guest not hotel guest”

The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband bought me a gift certificate to this new spa for my birthday, since my birthday is day after valentines I usually wait to go to any spa, until they calm down from all the holiday gift certificates being used around the time of the holiday. I went on a Friday in the afternoon, when I thought they wouldn't be too busy.They were not busy, but did seem to have a steady amount of clients. I was not given a confirmation call prior to my visit. I arrived 15 minutes before my two treatments, which is all you need to fill out their one page pre-treatment form. The hostess/concierge was not aware that I was getting two services( she did know someone was going to be getting a facial later, but didn't know it would be me for the two treatments).if i hadn't casually asked a question about my facial, she wouldn't have realized it was me who was also getting a facial along with my massage. They do not have a relaxation room, so I was invited to sit down in a chair right at the desk, which is right in front of the men's restroom( which was closed for the time being-thank goodness). The chair had a deep back, and since I am of short stature, I couldn't sit back comfortably, so I perched on the edge of the seat. There was only one thing to read while I waited for my therapist, and it was a book about cancer. I would have preferred to have read a magazine or at least look at a scenic book. The therapist was running late, and she didn't start my treatment on time. Because it is a small place, and I would be changing rooms from one treatment to another, I undressed in one room, had treatment, then adorned a robe, and carried all my belongings to the other room. I would have liked for there to be a basket to have carried my items, instead of bunching all my stuff together and carrying them. The massage therapist did a great treatment( I had 90 minute therapeutic massage) and she had a good technique. because the therapist is tall, her bed was quite high, and there was no stool for me to use, so I had to hop up on it and hop down( I think it can pose a hazard for an older guest or any guest, since you have massage cream/oil on your feet when you are done). The facial was also very good( I had the ormedic facial). The facilities seemed to be clean. The only issue I had was that there was not a special place to relax and wait for services, and there was a pool and hot tub within viewing of treatment rooms, that i was told was"for hotel guests". Well, since I was paying over $200. and I was a spa guest which is located inside the hotel, I was in fact a hotel guest, and it would have been nice to have used the hot tub or pool as an added amenity. There are not that many spas located within an hours radius that has an indoor pool and hot tub and it should be included in the spa. I could have even waited poolside, lounging in a chair waiting for my treatments to begin.overall, it was good services, I just think that the other aspects should be a little more put together, to provide a better spa experience.

Room Tip: Make sure to call to confirm your treatments, in case they don't call you.Don't go too early...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Nikki36_10
Write a ReviewReviews (2,008)

Reviewed March 29, 2013

2  Thank Tracy K
A Wyndham traveler
Sawyer, Michigan
Reviewed March 27, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A Wyndham traveler
Reviewed March 26, 2013

First, I should say that the food in the "Dancing Goat" restaurant was very good. Everything else was just OK, nothing outstanding about this historic hotel. Was expecting more. If you want a great stay in an historic hotel, drive a little farther down I-81 to Staunton, VA and stay at the Stonewall Jackson Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gmanret

1  Thank Martha H

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was one of the most charming places I have stayed in a long time. Extremely clean, wonderful staff, excellent food in the dining room and all for a VERY reasonable rate!