“A very nice hotel that should probably be a higher end Hilton” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel

The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A very nice hotel that should probably be a higher end Hilton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were almost scared away by previous bad experiences with Wyndham; don't let this happen to you! This old property has been completely remodeled and brought up to date without losing its character. Our only two quibbles were that the lobby bar closed between 9:30 PM and 10 PM, and there were no bathrobes & slippers to use to go down to the pool and hot tub. Otherwise, we would have given this property an excellent rating. The staff were friendly - especially the front desk personnel at both check-in and check-out - as were nearly everyone we met in Winchester. We had a very pleasant stay, and we plan on returning. This is one of the best kept secrets for a high value and enjoyable getaway for people near DC.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are quiet and luxurious.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you so much for trying our award winning property while you were in the Winchester area. I appreciate your business and your feedback. Our bar does close on weekdays at 10PM unless business warrants' us to stay open later, now on weekends the bar is open until 2AM. I'm also sorry you did not have ropes for the pool, it's a Wyndham standard that we put the robes in our suites but not our classic / standard rooms. That said if a guest requests a robe we will certainly deliver that to the room.

Again I'm thrilled you gave us a try and I hope to see you again.

Take care,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We always stay at the George Washington on our trip from up North to North Carolina. We have been staying there about four times a year for the last three years. We have always loved the hotel. The service was spectacular, food great and the accommodations clean and well kept This past December we stayed there and noticed a considerable difference. Our rug was dirty in our room and the dresser was missing a knob. We chalked it up to that particular room and booked another night for February. Last week we returned to the hotel, and we stayed in a different room. Again , the dresser was missing knobs. The chair in the room was worn out and torn. We were disappointed. However, the staff was superb as usual. They were polite and went above and beyond to help us when one of our sons became sick in the middle of the night. The rooms just need to be kept up with items that are broken or need replacing. The staff makes this hotel what it is and we thank them for all of their hard work.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
We love having you as our guest year after year, thank you. I also appreciate your business and the feedback both good and bad. I'm so sorry the rooms you stayed in this time had some minor issues with them. Because of your comments I'll be sending my engineering crew throughout the property so we can repair broken knobs and fix or replace any chairs that are not up to our standards.

Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit.
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I just got back from an overnight stay at The George Washington Hotel. We were pleasantly surprised. It has been very nicely renovated - our room was a good good size and the bathroom and shower were excellent. We ate in the bar in the evening and the barman, Justin, could not have been more helpful and pleasant. My only small niggle was that there was music in the bar in the evening which we could hear in our room which was immediately above. However, it was my era of music and so was not unpleasant and finished early enough not to keep me awake. We had breakfast in the Dancing Goat in the morning - tasty but the poor waitress was very busy trying to keep up with everyone - they need more help. Overall it was a very pleasant stay, right downtown and everybody we encountered was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 1st floor and were immediately above the bar.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
I appreciate your business and the feedback. I'm so glad you did enjoy the music and yes they do finish around 10PM. We actually only have music on Fri & Sat so we do not disturb any of our corp guests on the weekdays. I will also get with my food & beverage team to make sure we are scheduling correctly in the Dancing Goat.

Callaway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This was a grand old hote;. The next room had 2 different groups pf people in 2 nights.. They weren't trying to be terribly loud, but you cpuld distinguish every word they said. I don't know if all the rooms have this problem, but maybe we were given this room since we obtained a lower rate thru Living Social. I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us. I also appreciate your feedback good and bad. I'm so sorry you could hear your neighbors, I'll have my engineer take a look to see if there may be something we can do.

Once again I'm sorry for your issues and if you decide to give our award winning property another try in the future I would be happy to make your reservation personally.

I can be reached at dcavallaro@wyndham.com.

New Berlin, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Update to my earlier review of this hotel. Please see it for some background on me. I just want to take this opportunity to congratulate the staff at the George Washington on winning the coveted Wyndham Hotel of the year for 2011. I'm not surprised, as this is one of the finest staffs, especially the front desk team, I've had the pleasure of encountering. Really, the soul of any hotel is it's staff, they are what set a superior hotel apart. I'm always greeted with a big smile and a friendly hello. It's like I'm being greeted by family. Carrie, Carla, Pat and Lacey are truly a wonderful group and again I say thank you for always demonstrating such kindness, caring and professionalism. I want to say special thanks to Eliza. I almost always receive a call from her fifteen or twenty minutes after I check in asking if everything is alright with my room, and if there's anything else that I need. This is service above and beyond the call of duty, by a hard working, wonderful young lady. My wife and daughter (who's a student at The George Washington University in DC) have joined me for several of my stays and I think they like the hotel more than I. I've read some of the recent reviews and in regard to some of the things that people find fault in, I don't, Five or six dollars for downtown parking is extremely reasonable. The hotel that reminds me most of the George is the Fairmont in DC where parking is forty five dollars a night. The George Washington is a unique hotel built during the roaring twenties and it exudes elegance. If the walls could talk there'd be some stories to be told here. There's no parking charges at a Hampton or Holiday Inn next to a freeway, It just depends on what you're looking for in your hotel experience. You can't compare apples to oranges. Room service is offered from the in house Dancing Goat restaurant, and after a day of airline travel the peace and quiet of in room dining is a welcome treat. I had the half rack of ribs there this week with a fruit plate side that was out of this world. I'm including a photo with this review. I also want to praise the housekeeping staff on a job well done. My housekeeper this week was Renee who did an excellent job. The high standards of the housekeeping department was further evident when Elena, a supervisor, showed up early in the afternoon to double check that everything was perfect. Once again, I love this hotel, it's downtown location and everyone that makes it so great. Thanks, Mike

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Mike, thank you so much for all the kind words, it means a lot to us. I'm so glad my team has delivered on our core values, Be Responsive, Be Respectful, and Deliver Great Experiences.

We love having you as our guest and I hope to see you again soon.