“Great stay, perfect to access Downtown Winchester”

The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Ohio
“Great stay, perfect to access Downtown Winchester”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I'd been wanting to stay at the The George Washington to explore downtown Winchester.
I found a great rate and booked my stay. The rooms where beautifully appointed, though some areas are showing there age. I guess it makes sense, its was originally constructed in 1924 and recently remodeled, sometimes its hard to conceal cracks from settling. The staff was pleasant enough. Downtown Winchester is great and I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Urban_Photog

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were given a trip to our favorite getaway city (90 minutes from home, perfect if something goes wrong while they have our three kids) from my in-laws for Christmas, and we chose the George Washington Hotel because we had never stayed there but always wanted to.
Upon arrival we were given a gift certificate that my in-laws had purchased for us to use at the restaurant, The Dancing Goat. The front desk ladies were very nice, asked if this was a mini vacation before the baby arrives (I'm 36 weeks pregnant), and told us a brief history of the hotel. We were given our key cards and we headed up to our room.
The room itself is furnished very beautifully, and the bathroom is large with an incredible shower that was never short on hot water. The bed was comfortable, there were plenty of pillows that fit the bed (I hate it when the pillows are too small for the bed), and the TV selection was good. My complaint on our room was the view. The hotel wasn't booked, but you would think it was from our not so pleasant view of the rooftop of the lobby! A view of downtown would have been great, but it is what it is, right?
We ate dinner the first night at The Dancing Goat, and had a server named Brianna. She was very attentive, we never lacked for anything. Our food was amazing, too, from the Fried Green Tomato BLT to the Creme Brulee. Everything was just perfect.
The pool was nice and clean, and it was a great temperature as well. I asked about the temperature of the hot tub and was told it was 101, too hot for me right now, but my husband loved it. There was a record hung on the wall of the chemical balance in the pool which appeared to be checked daily.
On our third night there was, according to the front desk, a "celebration". After we returned to the hotel from dinner the small parking lot was full (including a florist van for the "celebration"), so my husband and I asked where we should park. The front desk girl, Eliza, asked our room number and said to park in the garage, that we wouldn't be charged extra (parking is $5/night, but with only 25-30 spots, it is tricky). My husband parked in the garage, named George Washington Garage (not run by the hotel, rather by the city, which is confusing since they share a name). About an hour later I needed ice cream, and went to the front seat with the ticket from the garage. I asked another girl what I should do with it, since it was supposedly not going to be charged. She had no clue what I was talking about, so I told her what Eliza had told us. She asked her about it, and Eliza said I was wrong, that she never said that. Never smiled, never said sorry but that maybe I misunderstood (I didn't). Just downright rude and unprofessional. The other girl told me to park in the valet lot upon my return. I called my husband when left because I was pretty upset. I felt that Eliza was basically calling me a liar, and the fact that she doesn't seem to know how to smile (which I noticed our second night there) seemed to really bother me for some reason. I feel like if you are going to work at the front desk of the most "upscale" hotel in town you should have a friendly demeanor, instead she has a look on her face as though she has smelled something foul.
While the room was nice, the food was awesome, and the pool was great, all it takes is one rude person to taint an experience. Will we go back to Winchester? Of course! But we will go back to the Holiday Inn, where the beds are just as comfortable, but the front desk went above and beyond our last visit. It makes all the difference in the world.

Room Tip: We had room 405, a horrible view!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tennesseegirl1990
GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you so much for selecting the award winning George Washington Hotel while you were in the Winchester area. Your feedback is important to me and clearly there was some communication breakdowns with my staff and your party as it relates to our parking lot / valet service we offer at the hotel, I'm very sorry for that. I would love to have the opportunity to discuss this matter in more detail, I can be reached at 540-771-2725 or you may email at dcavallaro@wyndham.com

Take care,
Maryland
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The hotel itself is quite nice, but the immediate surroundings could use some work. The accommodations and facilities check all the right boxes. The suite has much as anyone would ask for, it's comfortable well appointed and well maintained. The staff was pleasant and very helpful too.

The only negative we experienced was noise. The room's HVAC system was loud and all of the other room's exterior doors seem to operate much louder than they should. We were awaken every time some one entered their room, which seemed to occur all through the night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

1 Thank D D
I appreciate your business and the feedback both good and bad. I will look into your comments with my engineer and we certainly will try to fix the door issue, it my be something as simple as tightening the hinge.

Thank you again, take care.