“A Great Place to Stay”

The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Business brought us back to Winchester after living there for a long time, and we were able to stay at the George Washington Hotel. We traveled to Winchester once a month for a year and were able to stay at the George Washington every time but one. The hotel is beautifully restored and has a wonderful staff...a winning combination. The bar on the main floor is beautifully done and the dining room downstairs, The Dancing Goat, has accomodating wait staff and good food. The rooms are well decorated, clean, and spacious. At the check-in desk in the lobby, there are maps and brochures, and it seems like the staff is knowledgeable and willing to answer any questions you might have. The hotel is located just a block or so from the pedestrian mall so you can walk to many of the restaurants.

Room Tip: The rooms that we preferred ended in '06'...so 306, 406, or 506. Those rooms were spacious...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

We so love having you as our guest. Thank you so much for coming back again and again, it truly means alot.

Your like family now, and look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I had my wedding there and stayed for 2 nights. The staff was helpful and friendly. We had a junior suit that was beautiful and well kept. I would highly recommend this hotel! The breakfast we got from room service was o.k the fruit was mush, fried potatoes raw and the omelette was bland. The food for our wedding was completely different. Every guest agreed the hor' deouvers and dinner was delicious! I just wish breakfast could have been the same.

• Stayed: September 2012

Congratulations on your big day, we were so thrilled you selected the award winning George Washington for your reception. I also appreciate the feedback both good and bad, I will get with my chef about your issues you had with your room service order and also give him the great feedback you had about hor' deouvers and dinner from your reception.

Congrats again and I wish you both a lifetime of happiness.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Gorgeously renovated hotel in downtown Winchester, VA. Very close to the walking mall. Did not eat at any of the one site restaurants. The room was clean and very comfortable. The only problem I had was when we went to bed there was a lot of light coming in from the door and also from the windows. That wasn't much of a hindrance, but enough to keep it from a five rating. I would stay at this hotel again in a heart beat. The pool was very unique too with four pillars jutting in the middle of it, made it feel as if it were a Greek bath house.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so very much for your business and the feedback both good and bad. I know you have choices when you travel, thank you for trying our grand hotel while you were in the Winchester area. I will look into your concerns about the light through the window and under the door to make sure the black-out drapes are working and the door hinges are set correctly.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Grand old hotel that had been modernized...Beautiful high ceilings and marble everywhere. Room large with desk, couch, microwave and fridge. Bath had full large glass shower and everything very clean. In center of town and lots of places to eat near by and several historic buildings as well.
I might have given them a 5 if they didn't try to sneak a $1.50 "safe fee" on the final bill. There was no hassle when I asked the front desk what that was for but I didn't appreciate the sneak for just a small amount.She took it off without hesitation but just get tired of "resort fees" and hidden charges.
I'd stay again but I would also check my bill again.

Room Tip: Pay attention to your bill...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

I'm so glad you had a nice time with us while celebrating your anniversary. I appreciate your business and the feedback good and bad. The safe is in the room to provide our customers the peace of mind that comes from an in-room safe and its $10,000 dollar limited warranty coverage. We do not own the safe, that is why we have to charge a small fee but as you know first hand we waive the fee if our guests did not use this service. Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel is a gem. The decor is splendid (the ballroom is majestic). You feel like you've walked into an opulent hotel in NYC. The staff, from the hotel front desk to the restaurant to the spa, is pleasant, knowledgeable and courteous. I found myself saying, "I didn't know that kind and helpful people like this were around in business anymore". Customer service is 10 star. I tried the Saumaj Spa downstairs. It is run by a lady who has experience in a physical therapy clinic so she is more knowledgeable than spa technicians that I've encoutered at the Broadmoor, Homestead, etc. My neck has never felt better. Breakfast at the hotel restaurant is top-notch. I challenge anyone to find a better poached egg anywhere (NY, DC, Philadelphia, etc.). Delicious. The George Washington Hotel is truly a gem. I left with one question; "how can it be so affordable ?" It is. Jack Russell, Wash DC

Room Tip: All rooms are newly decorated.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Thank you so much for being our guest while in the Winchester area. I appreciate your business and the feedback. I'm also so glad you enjoyed our new spa, take care and I hope we can serve you in the future.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My family and I live in Chappaqua, NY and every year we drive down to Virginia to visit my mother. It is an 11 hour drive so we like to stop halfway to break up the trip. Winchester happens to be the exact midpoint of the trip. I searched for Winchester hotels and luckily came across the George Washington Hotel. It is in a beautiful historic restoration building conveniently located near the walking district of town. The rooms are generously sized and completely clean. The staff are friendly and efficient. I have stayed at this lovely hotel for several years and look forward to staying there again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

I'm so happy you found us, we loved serving you and look forward to future visits. I appreciate your business and the feedback.

Take care.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed one night on our way through town recently and really enjoyed it. The room was very nice as were the hotel lobby, resturant and lobby bar. Much more interesting than your regular roadside hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave15122

Thank you so much for selecting our Grand hotel in the heart of the valley. I appreciate your business and the feedback.