“Very Nice Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Akron, Ohio
“Very Nice Hotel”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Gorgeously renovated hotel in downtown Winchester, VA. Very close to the walking mall. Did not eat at any of the one site restaurants. The room was clean and very comfortable. The only problem I had was when we went to bed there was a lot of light coming in from the door and also from the windows. That wasn't much of a hindrance, but enough to keep it from a five rating. I would stay at this hotel again in a heart beat. The pool was very unique too with four pillars jutting in the middle of it, made it feel as if it were a Greek bath house.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you so very much for your business and the feedback both good and bad. I know you have choices when you travel, thank you for trying our grand hotel while you were in the Winchester area. I will look into your concerns about the light through the window and under the door to make sure the black-out drapes are working and the door hinges are set correctly.

Take care,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Point Pleasant
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Grand old hotel that had been modernized...Beautiful high ceilings and marble everywhere. Room large with desk, couch, microwave and fridge. Bath had full large glass shower and everything very clean. In center of town and lots of places to eat near by and several historic buildings as well.
I might have given them a 5 if they didn't try to sneak a $1.50 "safe fee" on the final bill. There was no hassle when I asked the front desk what that was for but I didn't appreciate the sneak for just a small amount.She took it off without hesitation but just get tired of "resort fees" and hidden charges.
I'd stay again but I would also check my bill again.

Room Tip: Pay attention to your bill...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
I'm so glad you had a nice time with us while celebrating your anniversary. I appreciate your business and the feedback good and bad. The safe is in the room to provide our customers the peace of mind that comes from an in-room safe and its $10,000 dollar limited warranty coverage. We do not own the safe, that is why we have to charge a small fee but as you know first hand we waive the fee if our guests did not use this service. Thanks again for your comments.

McLean, Virginia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel is a gem. The decor is splendid (the ballroom is majestic). You feel like you've walked into an opulent hotel in NYC. The staff, from the hotel front desk to the restaurant to the spa, is pleasant, knowledgeable and courteous. I found myself saying, "I didn't know that kind and helpful people like this were around in business anymore". Customer service is 10 star. I tried the Saumaj Spa downstairs. It is run by a lady who has experience in a physical therapy clinic so she is more knowledgeable than spa technicians that I've encoutered at the Broadmoor, Homestead, etc. My neck has never felt better. Breakfast at the hotel restaurant is top-notch. I challenge anyone to find a better poached egg anywhere (NY, DC, Philadelphia, etc.). Delicious. The George Washington Hotel is truly a gem. I left with one question; "how can it be so affordable ?" It is. Jack Russell, Wash DC

Room Tip: All rooms are newly decorated.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for being our guest while in the Winchester area. I appreciate your business and the feedback. I'm also so glad you enjoyed our new spa, take care and I hope we can serve you in the future.
chappaqua, ny
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My family and I live in Chappaqua, NY and every year we drive down to Virginia to visit my mother. It is an 11 hour drive so we like to stop halfway to break up the trip. Winchester happens to be the exact midpoint of the trip. I searched for Winchester hotels and luckily came across the George Washington Hotel. It is in a beautiful historic restoration building conveniently located near the walking district of town. The rooms are generously sized and completely clean. The staff are friendly and efficient. I have stayed at this lovely hotel for several years and look forward to staying there again in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
I'm so happy you found us, we loved serving you and look forward to future visits. I appreciate your business and the feedback.

Take care.
Virginia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed one night on our way through town recently and really enjoyed it. The room was very nice as were the hotel lobby, resturant and lobby bar. Much more interesting than your regular roadside hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ed123456
Thank you so much for selecting our Grand hotel in the heart of the valley. I appreciate your business and the feedback.

Virginia
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed here recently to celebrate a birthday and to see a show at the drive-in movie theater. The hotel is conveniently located near the old town area. Parking is a little confusing to figure out, as it's on the side of the building. There really isn't much of a grand entrance to pull into here. The hotel is pretty, with a nice bar area. Unfortunately, there was a wedding going on that day and twice we were informed we needed to move because the bride wanted her photos near where we were sitting. It definitely took away from our enjoyment. They could have at least been nice about it and offered us a free drink! The rooms are very small, but comfortable. The pool is cool-looking and the hot tub was nice but so overfilled with water! It was flowing out everywhere and made the nearby surfaces very slippery! There were a lot of children using the pool and hot tub that day, which is probably why we had a bandaid floating around the tub when we used it! Kind of gross but I removed it with a nearby towel. Breakfast in the downstairs restaurant was great! The food at the buffet was incredibly good! One of the best breakfast buffets I have had in ages! I just wish the waitress would have come around at least once to offer us more coffee! (she was nowhere to be found after we got started). The front desk staff is incredibly unfriendly! When we checked on our room, which wasn't ready when we got there, the woman couldn't even be botherered to look up from what she was reading to answer us!! However, the evening bartender was very nice. When we needed utensils to eat some birthday cake we brought, he was so helpful about finding us some! (the restaurant was closed at this point). This is no doubt Winchester's most upscale hotel, and it has a lot of potential to be wonderful, but it's not there yet. I really hope someday it will be. I had been so excited to try this place out and so thought I was going to love it. I didn't but it was still overall a very nice place and maybe someday I'd be willing to try it out again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Happy birthday, and I appreciate your business and the feedback good and bad. My staff and I truly did enjoy having you with us while you were in the Winchester area. I'm so sorry that the wedding interrupted your stay, for that should not have happened. I will get with my sales & banquet team to see if there could be a better way of doing things so to not disturb our guests that are not in the wedding party in the future. I will also get with the front office to address your concerns, thank you and take care.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The hotel has been very nicely updated. The room was very comfortable ( furniture was slightly over scaled) and the bathroom was wonderful (granite counters and large shower). Typical of most hotels, the doors made a loud noise when shut which was annoying in the middle of the night. The room was equipped with a personal coffee maker and there was plenty of coffees, teas and bottled waters. We found the staff to be helpful and efficient. We had drinks at the bar and breakfast and dinner at The Dancing Goat and were very pleased with all. The hotel is ideally located for seeing Winchester. The downtown walking mall is only blocks away and it was a short drive to the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 504 which was on the street side but did not hear any street noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your business and the feedback. All of us at the award winning George Washington Hotel enjoyed having you with us while you were in town. I'm so sorry about the noise of the doors in the hallways, I will have my engineer take a look and see if we can tighten up the hinges. Again thank you for the feedback.