“Beautiful hotel...if you have to go to Winchester ;)”

The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed May 4, 2012

This hotel is lovely. Wyndham has done a great job keeping the old style of the building, but with all the modern amenities you'd want. We enjoyed the Dancing Goat onsite, as well as the Picadilly pub next door. Great pub food in both locations. Hotel staff was wonderful, actually everyone in this small town was so friendly. Great value for the rooms and location.

Heard charming rumours that the hotel is 'haunted', but unfortunately we saw no ghosts. ;)

We were in town to help out a friend, so while conservative Winchester (or as we renamed it "Mayberry", kept expecting Andy and Opie to come walking along any moment, LOL) is not high on my list of great destinations, if you go during Apple Blossom festival like we did you will find things to keep you busy. Great Virginia wine tasting festival on our last day there.

Definitely would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

I have heard a lot of great stories of the hotel being haunted also, but I to have not encountered any hauntings since I've been managing this beautiful hotel either. During the 1930 and 40's Lucille Ball and Bob Hope spent the night with us and many more celebities in more recent years like, Val Kilmer, Tim McGraw and the Beach Boys.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and I thank you for your business. Hope to see you for next years Apple Blosson Festival during the first weekend of May 2013. Remember to book early for this weekend is always sold out many, many months ahead of time

Reviewed April 25, 2012

We booked this hotel as part of our extended trip to USA because it was city centre and had its own on-site restaurant ' the dancing goat'. We arrived to a very functional greeting at reception to be told that the restaurant was closed for refurbishment but that that meals were being served in another room which was effectively part of the main ballroom. No apology was offered, nor had any prior notification been received, although we were offered a fifteen percent discount voucher on the cost of meals only. A subsequent visit to the alternative room showed a scattering of tables, no atmosphere and just one couple dining. Fortunately help was at hand in the form of the 'Violino Ristorante Italiano' which is just 50 yards away and gave us an excellent meal.
Our opinion of the hotel was not improved by the fact hat we had to request robes which eventually arrived 45 minutes later after a reminder phone call. Again no apology; housekeeping were apparently busy parking cars! Too add injury to insult we received a phone call at 8am the next morning to enquire if our robes had turned up!
Two more complaints; our bathroom only had a shower with no bath. Breakfast was ok but cost a lot more than the better meal we received at the Marriott Courtyard we stayed at the previous night.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a bathroom that has a bath as well as shower make sure you request it.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

My staff and I certainly appreciate your business and thank you for choosing the George Washington Hotel while you were in the Winchester area. Our core values are; Be responsive, Be respectful, and Deliver great experiences. When these values are not delivered I simple need to say I'm sorry. Our Restaurant dinning room was under contruction while you were with us that is why we converted the Grand Ballroom for three days as our main dinning room while we improved the Dancing Goat. Clearly that message should have been communicated better to you the guest, so again I'm sorry. Wyndham does not require robes in all rooms but it certainly should not have taken 45 minutes for deliver.

I truly do appreciate the feedback and will use this information as a training tool to improve our overall service. If you would like to discuss your concerns further I can be reached at the main number 540-678-4700, take care.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

My husband and I were so pleased with our stay. The beds were extraordinarily comfortable, and I am very picky. The shower was my dream shower, marble with a thick glass door, and super hot water.
Located in the heart of the historic district, choices abound for eating out. Everything from English Pubs to Thai food is footsteps away.
It was also a lot of fun to read about various celebrities who had enjoyed a stay at this historic hotel as well.
All in all, superb.

Room Tip: We got a super deal through hotwire.com. Of course we didn't know the name of the hotel, but lo...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank irjagirl
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My company hosts several meetings at this hotel over the course of a year and it just gets better and better with every stay. The staff at the hotel is wonderful and extremely accommodating. They go above and beyond every time. They make myself and all of our attendees feel like VIP's. The accomodations and historical renovations to this hotel are beautiful. The food is great and so is the lobby bar. This hotel would be great for a meeting, a wedding, a party, family stay or even a romantic getaway!

Room Tip: Junior suites are gorgeous!!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
GWHotelManager, General Manager at The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

My staff and I certainly appreciate your business and thank you for choosing the George Washington Hotel while you were in the Winchester area. I'm so thrilled that the staff delivered on our core values; Be responsive, Be respectful, and Deliver great experiences. I will pass on your comments to my team members. Again thank you so much for the feedback.

We would love to serve you and your family on Mothers Day in the Grand ballroom, seating starts at 11AM and reservations are required. If your interested you may call the hotel for details.
540-678-4700

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Luxurious, comfortable, great staff and appointments, walk to the downtown area. But, they do try to stick you with a $1.50 fee for the room safe. And they need to be called out for this annoyance.

Yes, there was a small reference to a possible safe fee in the confirmation and, when asked, the front desk quickly took it off the bill when questioned.

Some may say this is a little thing, but nickel and dimeing like this shouldn't happen at a four star property. What's next, an added fee for the TV or how about a towel fee.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RickR

Thank you so much for choosing the George Washington Hotel on your recent visit to the Valley. My staff and I apprecaite your business and the feedback. Yes we do charge for the safe with limited warranty that reimburses you for up to $10,000 dollars if anything were forcibly taken. You are also correct that we do not inforce this fee if the guest informs us that the safe was not used.

If your in the area for Mothers day, please do consider us for brunch in the grand ballroom. Seatings start at 11AM and reservations are required. If you would like more details please contact the front desk at 540-678-4700

Again thank you for your business, take care.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

Solid 4 star standard hotel - clean, spacious, polite service. Very good value for money. Restaurant in basement is excellent for breakfast and dinner. Swimming pool small but nice.

Only complaint is that walls are a bit thin so was noisy on saturday night.

If you are heading into Shenandoah - this is a great place to rest up.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mattb80

Thank you so much for the feedback and thank you for choosing the award winning George Washington Hotel. I will certainly look into your comments regarding the noise issues you experienced, so hopefully future guests do not have the same problem. If your ever back in town please let me know before hand and I'll make sure you have a very quite room on the top floor.

Thank you for your business, take care.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

We traveled to Winchester for our anniversary get away. Enjoyed the gracious and welcoming attention of all of the front desk staff. Room was very clean and the bathroom was amazing. Slept well until the housekeeping staff arrived early the next morning. Our room was near the service elevator and the housekeeping staff used the area outside our room as their breakroom. They were exceedingly loud. We stepped into the hallway to find the source of the noise and made eye contact with one of the housekeepers. Unfortunately they continued with their conversations and phone calls. It was truly a shame because we had enjoyed everything else about our stay.

We tried to use the business center but the equipment was antiquated and the internet connection was unreliable.

We had dinner and breakfast at the Dancing Goat restaurant in the hotel. Dinner was fabulous. Breakfast was disappointing. We also visited the Half Note lounge for Happy Hour. They offered Dancing Goat menus but no "bar food."

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the service elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for choosing the the award winning George Washington Hotel. I appreciate the feedback and will certainly talk with the Executive Housekeeper about her team members. Our core values / pillars are; Be reponsive, Be respectful, and Delivery great experiences. Clearly we did deliver on our service culture, but will use your story as a training tool moving forward.

I'm also happy to report we just purcahsed new computers for our business center.

Again I apologize for the noise on your hallway, and I hope we can serve you in the future.