“Nice”

Museum of the Shenandoah Valley
Ranked #2 of 49 things to do in Winchester
More attraction details
Owner description: The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley (MSV) is dedicated to preserving and enriching the cultural life and heritage of the Valley. This regional history complex includes a house dating to the eighteenth century, six acres of spectacular gardens, and a 50,000-square-foot museum featuring changing exhibitions, a permanent display of miniature houses, and an expansive gallery exploring the history and decorative arts of the Shenandoah Valley. The MSV also includes a Museum Store and café (admission not required). The galleries are open year-round; the house and gardens April through October. The MSV sits on land originally claimed by Winchester founder James Wood in 1735. The property was passed through generations of Wood and Glass families until being acquired by Wood descendant and MSV benefactor Julian Wood Glass Jr. (1910–1992) between 1952 and 1955. Glass and his partner at the time, R. Lee Taylor (1924–2000), worked together to transform the site and its Glen Burnie House—built in 1794 by James Wood’s son Robert—into a country retreat where the couple entertained in high style.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Not a very big museum, but very nice. Very informative. Did enjoy the gardens after we went to the museum. Friend saw behind the counter at the gardens there were audio handsets. He asked for them. Funny the person didn't ask if we wanted to rent one! Audio was a bonus!

1  Thank ladyt202
There are newer reviews for Museum of the Shenandoah Valley

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Went on a Wednesday and lucked out because it is free on that day. We would have been happy to have paid, it is worth it. Great exhibits. Looking at the house miniatures - WOW! The grounds around the house, calming, peaceful. Loved the pond area. Just don't eat at the Bonnie Blue. Expensive and wasn't that tasty. The house on the park is not all that amazing, especially after seeing the Biltmore and Bellengrath Gardens.

1  Thank Patti K
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I did not have a lot of time to explore the museum during my stay in the area unfortunately, but I definitely made my way to the garden area first and it was beautiful. Simply breath taking. Worth the visit, you won't regret it!

Reviewed July 22, 2014

This museum was a pleasant surprise. The exhibits reflect the history of the Shenandoah Valley in several forms…history, culture, art, folk art, furnishings. On my last visit there was a special exhibit on country & western star Patsy Cline who is from the Shenandoah Valley near Winchester and while not an avid fan of the music the exhibit was interesting in how it showed her life from the 1930s to the 1950s.
The admission price includes the gardens which were as much a surprise as the museum. The Japanese garden is one the better ones I've seen and when I visited it was perfectly peaceful with only my wife and I intruding on this lovely setting.

The museum is good, but I'd return for the gardens. How nice it must be there on a warm Tuesday morning when most of the world is at work.

1  Thank Howard B
Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Museum and its contents were a surprisingly good find and experience. The extensive
information regarding all aspects of the surrounding Shenandoah Valley was fascinating and memorable. The Civil War exhibit was also outstanding. I only had one afternoon to spend at
the museum, but will return to visit the areas I missed. The Patsy Cline exhibit was revealing and interesting. Discovered much more about her than I ever thought I would. However, the best part of the Museum was the small intimate cafe they have hidden. My wife and I had some of the best
chowder,sandwiches, and iced tea that we've ever experience.I will return just for the cafe food. The cafe operator owns and operates another restaurant in town. Great find and visit.