“Wonderful dinner”
Review of One Block West - CLOSED

One Block West
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Description: A seasonal farm-to-table restaurant featuring the best products of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in a la carte and tasting menus that change nightly. Chef Ed Matthews has been named to Best Chefs of America by his peers in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

While visiting Winchester we were
fortunate to have dinner at One Block West. The service was excellent not stuffing or pretentious. The food is incredible and it is obvious the chef is quite talented. The wine list is excellent. I wish we lived closer so we could try every dish on the menu.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you for visiting us all the way from Goochland County! I am afraid nobody will ever be able to try all the dishes on the menu as we change it every day. But never feel afraid to call ahead and ask if we can make something that you really want to taste. If we can, we will.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We were in Winchester and not expecting too much. This turned out to be a great meal from the beginning, The waitress went out of her way to create the perfect martini for my friend. The appetizer and salads were perfect. We had 3different entrees and each was different, but extraordinary. My red snapper was crispy and prepared well. My son's steak was perfectly prepared and my friends tile fish had a lovely flavor. I eat out often, this was a wonderful place and I would highly recommend it for a special meal.

Thank you for your kind words. Many people are surprised that we really do have first class food here in Winchester. Our advantage is that we are in the midst of beautiful farm land and we have very dedicated farmers that bring the best of what they grow to us before they take the remainders to market closer in to Washington, DC. I hope that you will visit us again the next time that you find yourself out this way.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

CHEF/OWNER EXTREMELY RUDE AND COMBATIVE. I took my wife, 3 children, and my parents who were visiting from out of town to One Block West as it's one of the nicer restaurants in Winchester. I spent a little over $300 for dinner and it's usually worth the price, as the chef uses local produce and crafts seasonal menus. My mother ordered the Kobe beef, high end cut, but it was riddled with gristle. My mother asked to speak with the chef, when he came to our table, my mother showed him the gristle, and the chef replied, "what would you like me to do about it". He went on to say that "all I do is order the beef from a company". I was stunned by his rude demeanor and combative behavior. As a manager I take responsibility for everything I and my employees do, my customers are always treated with respect, even when I may feel differently. If you're a top notch chef, you take responsibility for the food that comes out of your kitchen and you do not speak to you're customers in a demeaning manner. Needless to say, I won't be spending my money here any longer or recommending this place to anyone for the sole reason that the chef was pompous and rude. My wife also had the Kobe beef which had a fair amount of gristle, but she was too scared to say anything after witnessing the chef's behavior. What a shame...

4  Thank TW158318
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

I am not even sure that I should dignify this mudslinging with a reply. Your comments are very much in keeping with the tenor of current policital ads. That is, you have taken two comments that I made very much out of context and twisted them to suit your means.

If I were as rude and combative as you suggest, I would not have been in business for 10 years with largely stellar reviews and a large following of regular customers.

You fail to mention that your table was combative and rude to the server all evening long. You fail to mention that your server tried to replace the beef as soon as you reported a problem. You fail to mention that the first thing I said when I came to the table is "I'm sorry." You fail to mention that the second thing I said was "I'm taking the beef off your bill." You fail to mention that I tried to replace your mother's meal. And you really failed to mention that during a busy night, your mother insisted on dragging me out of the kitchen to scold me in front of the dining room, either to humiliate me or to gratify her need for attention or possibly both.

After apologizing, indicating that the meal would come off the bill, and trying to get your mother something else to eat, it was only then that I asked her what more she would like me to do as she was continuing to pursue the issue.

Of all the things you have said in your diatribe, I believe we both concur on your choice to not return to my restaurant. You may take it as a sign of my hospitality and good graces that I did not ask your table to leave much earlier in the evening.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Driving through Virginia, we discovered ONE BLOCK WEST in Winchester. A bit out of the way, but well worth the search. We were pleasantly surprised as to how nice the atmosphere is. Cozy, quaint and welcoming. Food presentation and taste was very very good. They also have a very nice wine list. Good place for a romantic dinner as well as a lively dinner with friends.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We visited on a Saturday night and did not have reservations. Fortunately, it was early and we were given a table. I would definitely recommend a reservation, especially on a weekend. The food was excellent. The service was also excellent and the atmosphere very pleasant. Save room for dessert because the bread pudding is wonderful.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thanks for giving us a try! It's always a bit of a dice throw to walk in on a weekend night and I am glad that you got a table. If you can, please do try to reserve with us. Even (especially) if it is a slow night, it helps us make sure we have enough staff to give you the service that you deserve. Glad you like the bread pudding; day in and day out, bread pudding is our top seller for dessert. Not the fancier desserts, but old school bread pudding. Of course, we put the highest quality bread, cream, and duck eggs into ours. No shortcuts here! Thanks for your review.