“Pleasant surprise”

One Block West
Ranked #5 of 290 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Description: A seasonal farm-to-table restaurant featuring the best products of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in a la carte and tasting menus that change nightly. Chef Ed Matthews has been named to Best Chefs of America by his peers in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I decided to try this restaurant as we have a weekend getaway not far away. Service was excellent! They didn't have any of the finer bourbons, which was a disappointment, but have a very good wine selection, and the food was top notch! My wife had crabcakes, and I had duck, and both were very good. We plan to visit again.

ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
I'm really glad you enjoyed both your food and your service and I look forward to your return visits. As for not stocking the premium bourbons, that is very true. We have no call in our market for bourbon. But next time you book, let me know what your favorite brand is and I will make sure we get a bottle of it for you.

VirginiaUSA
“Crap Shoot”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I was shocked to see this has good ratings from anyone. Makes me wonder if the reviews are being stacked by friends and family. This place is on an alley and it has an "alley" feel to it both inside and out. The interior has been decorated on the cheap....like they were going for shabby chique with a modern twist BUT MISSED BY A MILE. Consequently, it feels cheap in a nasty, unclean way. They really need to invest in a good decorator.
The food is underwhelming. Some items are fairly good but others (soups) seemed salty as though they came out of a can. Inconsistent comes to mind.
I live in Winchester and, among local foodies, this place never makes the A-list. The only consistent thing about it is that it never changes....but that means it never gets any better and is always a mixed bag.
If you want to know you will get extremely good food in a clean and comfortable atmosphere, you should head to Violino (Italian) or Village Square (American Bistro). This place is a crap shoot on food and just plain crappy on atmosphere.

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank The4Rowans
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Wow! This almost seems personal. Have I offended you in some way? If so, I apologize.

I'm skeptical of reviews of any restaurant that start by attacking the decor. That's often a sign to me that there isn't anything substantive in the review.

If you have been coming here for a while now, then I have two questions for you:

1. Why do you keep coming back?

2. I'm always in and out of the dining room. Why have you not mentioned any of your issues to me? Let's take your hypothetical of a soup being too salty. There is nothing I can do about it now. Had you mentioned it at the time, a) I would have happily replaced your soup with something else and b) I would have retasted the soup and taken it out of service were it badly seasoned.

I'm really OK with it if you prefer other restaurants better to mine. Not every restaurant is right for everybody and we all have our favorites for various reasons. But this "review" just seems more like an advertisement for other restaurants than a reasoned review of mine. I invite you to call (540-662-1455) or email me (info@oneblockwest.com) and let's sit down over lunch (at my expense) and talk about what the issues really are.
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“Superb Food and Service”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

My wife and I have lunch at one Block West about twice a month while traveling to our weekend home in the Shenandoah Valley. The food is always imaginative and enjoyable and the service both friendlty and efficient. The owner, Ed Matthews, makes a special effort to use organic foods from farms in the surrounding area as well as to serve fresh fish every day. He also offers a varied wine list, coupled with recommendations on the dishes that the wine should be paired with. In fine weather it is a pleasure to sit outdoors on the small patio and enjoy a peaceful meal.
Strongly recommended for couples and small groups who appreciate good cuisine.

• Visited May 2012
Orlando, Florida
“Tasty Combinations”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We saw the head chef at a festival in Winchester and decided to visit the restuarant. He shops at a local farmer's market and takes what the season has to offer and makes heavenly dishes!

Visited October 2011
ChefEd, Owner at One Block West, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Thank you for your kindness and your recognition that this is an ingredient-driven restaurant showcasing the finest of what is at the market, right now. When I shop at the farmers market (three days a week) I am excited by each new ingredient as it arrives. Today, it was the first sweet cherries of the year. Two days ago, it was Swiss chard. I buy the best of what is for sale and bring it back to the restaurant, and from that, the crew and I decide how best to use what I have bought. We really love customers like you who appreciate this approach to creating a menu. Thanks again!
Paw Paw, West Virginia
“One of the Best Restaurants I've Ever Eaten At”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My wife and I decided to give this restaurant a try. We'd heard good things, but were hesitant. What we found was by far one of the best meals we have ever eaten. The touch that I most appreciated was that each item on the menu was paired with a wine and all wines on the menu were available by the glass. This meant that we could enjoy a paired glass with each course, and when my wife ordered a sea food dish, and I a lamb dish, we could enjoy the proper wine with each. No need to find a bottle that would go with everything. Another nice aspect is that they use local ingredients. We both had ramp soup paired with a Gavi. Ramps are in season here, and I have never seen them on a menu before. The wait we had was phenomenal and ever so attentive to detail.

Visited May 2012