“Hair in lasagna. Didn't even offer dessert compensation.”

Violino Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #4 of 292 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We are a small fine dining restaurant specializing in traditional and authentic Italian cuisine. All of our items are made from scratch on premises from the bread to the gelato. The interior decor is old world and eclectic with a strong opera and classical music influence. Our service is professional and attentive . We look forward to providing you with an Italian culinary experience outside of Italy. Buon Appetito
“Hair in lasagna. Didn't even offer dessert compensation.”
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were trying this restaurant hoping to use it for our son's rehearsal dinner before his wedding. About 1/4 of the way through my lasagna, which was okay but not great, I found a very long black hair. I quietly called my waitress over, when she offered to cook another dish. By this time, my husband had already finished his meal. I said a quick dessert would be fine. She brought the bill with the dessert that included everything except the lasagna. This was short-sighted in that it was their tight-wadded behavior that caused me not to use them for the rehearsal dinner, and not the hair, which I'm sure was an accident. I J Cann's ended up serving us well. I recommend them. Otherwise, that $600+ business would have been Violino's.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank RhondaDonadieu
Riccardo S, Owner at Violino Ristorante Italiano, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
I'm sorry that you were unimpressed with the lasagna. We do our best to prevent these things from happening but unfortunately accidents happen sometimes. We did offer to cook you another and also took it off of your bill. I don't think that offering a free dessert on top of that was necessary. Not because we are cheap but because it's excessive.

• Arabic first
Charles Town, West Virginia
“Really Delicious Italian Fare”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Okay, so as some others have mentioned, this restaurant really needs a makeover. The little chairs aren't all that comfortable and you are crammed up so you feel like you are eating with others in the restaurant. Yes, in Italy you do eat with strangers, but this is Winchester, Virginia. That said I tried the lobster bisque everyone raves about. It was good with quite a few pieces of lobster and I added some fresh bread to it to make it even more delicious. Then I decided on the manicotti with pine nuts instead of the vegetarian lasagana and it was a most excellent choice! Really delicious with an alfredo sauce on top. My husband had the ravioli special which had an assortment of different raviolis including pheasant and pear- pretty fancy. He said he now knows he does not care for pheasant- it is a little gamey but the pear and cheese ravioli was delicious. About the time I was dreaming of a cappuccino and dessert, a lady who smelled like she broke a perfume bottle on herself was seated six inches from me. It was allergy attack city- runny nose, watery eyes- just miserable. I got the bright idea to get tiramisu to go. Do not do this! It leaked all through the container by the time I got home. I did not realize it was like ice cream- uggh. I took a couple bites before tossing it and it was very rich- not too sweet. All in all delicious made from scratch Italian food and excellent service. The restaurant is located in a really cute area with many quaint shops minus the Dollar General. They have outdoor seating too for spring and summer which is when I plan to return.

Weyers Cave, Virginia
“Super Good Food!”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

This was an excellent place to eat without a noisy fast pace atmosphere. Very relaxing with exceptional service. It took a little longer than we're used to for the food to be presented. After receiving it my wife and I knew why. Everything seemed to be made fresh from scratch. The food was amazing! How anyone could not enjoy this food is incomprehensible. Exceptional Place. As you can see from my reviews we don't get out much, but when we do its WONDERFUL. No trust fund baby here. Thank you Violino!

Stephens City, Virginia
“Great Anniversary Dinner”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Having just moved to the Winchester area, I searched on the web for a nice restaurant to celebrate our anniversary. This restaurant was on the top of the list of several sites. I went by in the early afternoon to look at the restaurant and met the owner's daughter who assured me I had found the right restaurant for an anniversary celebration. I'm pleased to report that she was right. We had a wonderful evening! It's a family owned establishment, with the owner as the chef, and his wife assisting with welcoming patrons to the restaurant. We started with the calamari which found it light and flavorful. I had the lobster bisque and enjoyed it thoroughly. My wife had the veal with sun dried tomatoes, and I had the veal marsala. Both were excellent with just the right size portions. The service was very good, and a gentleman playing the violin entertained guests throughout the evening. The owner's wife stopped by for a chat and welcomed us to the Winchester area. Just prior to our leaving, the owner/chef arrived at our table and presented us each with a glass of sparkling wine, accompanied with a short song celebrating our anniversary. A very nice touch. I try to visit locally owned restaurants whenever I can, and this appears to be another winner. The prices appeared to be average for an upscale restaurant in that area. Our bill for the appetizers, two main courses, two glasses of house Merlot with tax came to about $85. We will definitely be back.

alexandria, virginia
“Not my favorite food”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I eat out all the time for work and visited for dinner while I was on a business trip. I had a mushroom appetizer which was honestly pretty bland. I also ordered one of the nightly specials, a butternut squash risotto with shrimp and scallops. The shrimp were cooked perfectly and were delicious but the scallops were terrible - almost raw and had no flavor. The risotto was extremely creamy and cheesy, but every so often I tasted a large peppercorn(?) which was quite unpleasant. Overall, it was a bit too rich for my taste. I may give it another chance and try a more "paleo" type meal (cornish hen or pheasant..I can't remember what was on the menu) but more likely I will visit another restaurant one block west, which I dined at previously and had been very pleased with the meal and service. The service was excellent at Violino, but for me, the food just didn't work for me.

Visited October 2013