“Not my favorite food”

Ranked #4 of 290 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We are a small fine dining restaurant specializing in traditional and authentic Italian cuisine. All of our items are made from scratch on premises from the bread to the gelato. The interior decor is old world and eclectic with a strong opera and classical music influence. Our service is professional and attentive . We look forward to providing you with an Italian culinary experience outside of Italy. Buon Appetito
alexandria, virginia
“Not my favorite food”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I eat out all the time for work and visited for dinner while I was on a business trip. I had a mushroom appetizer which was honestly pretty bland. I also ordered one of the nightly specials, a butternut squash risotto with shrimp and scallops. The shrimp were cooked perfectly and were delicious but the scallops were terrible - almost raw and had no flavor. The risotto was extremely creamy and cheesy, but every so often I tasted a large peppercorn(?) which was quite unpleasant. Overall, it was a bit too rich for my taste. I may give it another chance and try a more "paleo" type meal (cornish hen or pheasant..I can't remember what was on the menu) but more likely I will visit another restaurant one block west, which I dined at previously and had been very pleased with the meal and service. The service was excellent at Violino, but for me, the food just didn't work for me.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank nikkirae

• Arabic first
Berryville, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Oldtown Winchester”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Wonderful, genuine Italian menu accompanied by excellent service. The owners were onsite and played the violin for the guests.

Visited October 2013
Winchester, Virginia
“Never a Disappointment”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We have enjoyed dinner at this restaurant for special occasions several times in the past, but our most recent visit was "just a date night." Nevertheless, our meal was worthy of a celebration. From the carefully presented appetizer - my husband loves the portabella mushroom - to the main course and dessert, everything was freshly prepared and delicious. The owners are always a visible presence in the dining room/kitchen, and they are welcoming and gracious. If you are dining in the warmer months, the outside patio seating provides a fine view of the walking mall, giving your dining experience a bit of a European feel.

• Visited October 2013
Upperville, VA USA
“A wonderful place to celebrate a special occasion”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Northern Italian food impeccably prepared! Family owned and operated with father and son working to prepare the mast amazing foods representing their native homeland. Mother and daughter work the front and make sure your every need is met during your meal. Violin music during dinner is a special treat.

• Visited October 2013
Wellington
“The Main Reason We Go To Winchester!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We happened upon Violino by accident about 5 years ago. Winchester was just a stopover on our annual drive from Maine to Florida. Getting into town on the early side - we read about the restaurant and it was in the historic part of town, so we gave it a shot.

We have been back 3 times ... we actually plan our trip, so that we stop in Winchester - only to eat at Violino.

Authentic homemade food - atmosphere and owners, could not be more welcoming, friendly and accommodating.

On one trip, we sat next to a couple from Brooklyn, NY - both Italian - they said their mother's could not have cooked a better meal.
I call it a destination restaurant - hope I get to go back every year!

• Visited September 2013