“A wonderful Surprise in Winchester!”

Violino Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #4 of 298 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We are a small fine dining restaurant specializing in traditional and authentic Italian cuisine. All of our items are made from scratch on premises from the bread to the gelato. The interior decor is old world and eclectic with a strong opera and classical music influence. Our service is professional and attentive . We look forward to providing you with an Italian culinary experience outside of Italy. Buon Appetito
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Our hotel (The George Washington) recommended this restaurant as the best restaurant in Winchester. When we looked it up on TripAdvisor they too seemed to agree with the number on slot for Winchester. Once we ate here we too agreed that this was the best meal in town!
The restaurant is front and center on the main mall street in Winchester, easy to find and was an easy, enjoyable walk from our hotel.
We did not have reservations, but were welcomed by the hostess (who may have been one of the owners), she had a nice welcoming smile and gave us a nice table.
I was impressed with our waitress I could tell she had been welled trained by the kitchen as she knew the menu backwards and forwards and helped us make some nice selections. She also had a good pronunciation of the Italian names. She was attentive through out the meal, but always in a friendly way and never seemed overbearing. Even our bus person was friendly and made sure our glasses were always full. The staff here is not only friendly, but hard working and they seem to enjoy being a part of Violino.
The room is pleasant. It's a little homey, cozy. It feels right for a smaller town like Winchester but may not fit in a bigger urban environment like DC.
I had a wonderful salad that was fresh and a good size. I then had a special of three fish. It was wonderful. It had three kinds of fish on it, each slightly different in texture. The fish was cooked to perfection and was tasty. The sauce was perfect, just the right amount to accompany the fish but not over power the fish.
Our meal here was perfect. There were three of us at the table, we each had a different item and each one of us were raving about the food here. Winchester is a good area for local produce and this restaurant seems to utilize good, fresh, local ingredients. There was not a bad bite at our table.
This is a special occasion restaurant. The prices were a little pricey for the town the size of Winchester, but certainly worth the price as this was food at it's best. We watched as the chef came out of the kitchen and sang to a young couple on their anniversary. This is a family affair and you can tell they take great pride in making Violino a special spot.
So once again I agree with TripAdvisor, this was one of the best meals we had on our weekend in Virginia. Winchester is lucky to have such a great restaurant in it's heart of downtown!

2  Thank James S

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Violino is an Italian restaurant located on the Walking Street in Winchester, VA. When they are not doing construction on the street, there is a small area where you can sit outside on a nice day and enjoy a meal. Otherwise, you can enjoy your meal inside accompanied by decorations of musical instruments and Italian themed art. (I would recommend that you call ahead for reservations.) You can expect to have a leisurely meal which may or may not be accompanied by the chef singing opera at your table. I had the lobster bisque, which was by far the best thing I have tried. I also had veal ravioli which were bland, a chocolate molten cake which wasn't very good and a delicious hot chocolate. In total, for 4 people (4 appetizers, 4 entrees, 3 desserts, 1 glass of wine and 3 hot chocolates) the bill came to over $200. The staff was extremely attentive, the service was top-notch and the food was presented beautifully. Unfortunately for me, I thought for the most part the food lacked good flavor or at least the Italian flavor that I am used to. Because of the extremely high prices and so-so flavors, I am not sure how soon I will back to Violino. However, Violino is a local favorite and the staff and owners are very kind… if passing through and you have a few extra dollars in your wallet, you should check it out.

1  Thank CreativeOfficer
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have visited Violino a number of times recently for lunch and have invariably enjoyed the experience. Violino is located on Loudon Street, the pedestrian mall in Winchester, and is convenient for many shops and attractions. A few tables are placed outside on fine days. The food is varied and the helpings are generous. The decor of the restaurant is part of its charm. The walls are painted colorfully and they are decorated with many pictures of Italian scenes or operatic stars and numerous musical instruments. All customers receive a warm welcome on arrival and the service is consistently excellent.
We strongl recommend Violino as a most enjoyable place to dine.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

A wonderful dinner - interesting food, service like Europe and serving sizes that allow you to walk comfortably out the door to return in a week or two!!!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I feel bad writing this because everyone was so nice. They were able to accommodate our party of 25 on a Monday without a reservation. But the food was just blah. A cured meat plate was basic. The breadsticks came out of a box. The ravioli special was undercooked. And we had to send three bottles of wine back because they were cooked. No wonder, they were stored above the bar.

2  Thank RugbyMike15
Riccardo S, Manager at Violino Ristorante Italiano, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Just a quick reply. We have never served breadsticks out of a box. We don't serve anything out of a box. Everything at Violino is made in house fresh every day especially the breadsticks.
Did you mean that the wine was corked? I have never heard of wine being described as cooked. Please expand Thanks

Been to Violino Ristorante Italiano? Share your experiences!