New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

113 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Good Bucket List Item”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

My hubby and I are doing our best to visit every Civil War battle field. The visitor center is well laid out with items to read. The battle field is just a short walk with interpretive signs.

Visited September 2013

NYC
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Beautiful site, interesting visitors center”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We came to this site when they were technically closed. But volunteers were there getting ready for the weekend and they allowed us to tour the place. Very friendly staff. Small gift shop with neat shirts.

Visited August 2013
Inwood, West Virginia
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Self Paced Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I pulled into this location and notice that there were only laminated posters mounted on wooden stands (this is located near a church. The posters were informative. Overall, not too bad, but nothing to make you go out of the way (unless you already know a lot abou the battle)

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Thomas J
philadelphia
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“volunteer gave us a private "tour"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I was expected a much larger battlefield with statues, tours, etc. But I should have been tipped off when I went there on a Friday and they were not open. They only open on the weekends I assume, as we went back on a Saturday and the gates were open. That being said, we learned so much from the volunteer who came out of the visitors center and met us at our car! He explained how they recently saved most of the acreage from development and he was very proud of it, as he should be! He proceeded to tell us all about the history of the two battles and the surrounding area. We walked around the home and went up the hill to read to some of the surrounding historic plaques. There really is not much here compared to much larger battlefields in the area, but the personal touch was well worth it! I am very impressed with the dedication to helping preserve areas like this, just for that alone it is worth visiting.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank minniejan
Paris
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Go Back In Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

I didn't even realize this was so close to home. There is so much history, so many facinating stories, so many passionate and dedicated people, right here in our own back yard! The volunteers at the Kernstown Battlefield and Pritchard House Museum are so knowledgeable and so respectful of the property. Nothing is rehearsed or memorized. Everything is coming from their own knowledge and their hearts. They truely love the property and it shows. The background and stories are amazing. We walked the grounds and explored and chatted and imagined and it was a wonderful day. I took my husband there for his birthday and he said it was the best present ever.
The property needs a lot of financial help but you are never pressed for funds or resources. Beware of black snakes around, but they are harmless and the property is beautiful. It is well worth the visit.

Visited June 2013