“volunteer gave us a private "tour"”

Kernstown Battlefield and Pritchard House
Ranked #9 of 49 things to do in Winchester
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I was expected a much larger battlefield with statues, tours, etc. But I should have been tipped off when I went there on a Friday and they were not open. They only open on the weekends I assume, as we went back on a Saturday and the gates were open. That being said, we learned so much from the volunteer who came out of the visitors center and met us at our car! He explained how they recently saved most of the acreage from development and he was very proud of it, as he should be! He proceeded to tell us all about the history of the two battles and the surrounding area. We walked around the home and went up the hill to read to some of the surrounding historic plaques. There really is not much here compared to much larger battlefields in the area, but the personal touch was well worth it! I am very impressed with the dedication to helping preserve areas like this, just for that alone it is worth visiting.

1  Thank minniejan
There are newer reviews for Kernstown Battlefield and Pritchard House

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I didn't even realize this was so close to home. There is so much history, so many facinating stories, so many passionate and dedicated people, right here in our own back yard! The volunteers at the Kernstown Battlefield and Pritchard House Museum are so knowledgeable and so respectful of the property. Nothing is rehearsed or memorized. Everything is coming from their own knowledge and their hearts. They truely love the property and it shows. The background and stories are amazing. We walked the grounds and explored and chatted and imagined and it was a wonderful day. I took my husband there for his birthday and he said it was the best present ever.
The property needs a lot of financial help but you are never pressed for funds or resources. Beware of black snakes around, but they are harmless and the property is beautiful. It is well worth the visit.

1  Thank KatrinaSFristoe