“Brilliant discovery”
Review of Abram's Delight

Abram's Delight
Ranked #10 of 48 things to do in Winchester
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We knew nothing about this site but toured it because we had a 3 site ticket which included it.
Small car park, visitor centre hosts a quilt display, which at first we thought was all there was to see.
The main venue is the old house which was one of the first in Winchester. the house was called Abrams delight by the first owner who was an early settler given a 500 acre plot near the river to carry out his trade as a miller. there is a huge amount of history relating to the Hollingsworth family who originated from Chester in England -records show from about the time of William the Conquerer (1066). they branched out to Ireland and like many to escape religious persecution, they settled here, first in a standard sized log cabin, rebuilt next to the house, also full of history.
A must see if you are in Winchester.

2  Thank MootHouse

Reviewed May 19, 2014

For those who have no time to visit Williamsburg, this was very nice and worthwhile :) The docent was very knowledgeable.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I was running short of time when I visited, so I didn't have the full tour experience. Many thanks to the young lady who understood my time crunch and offered to give me the condensed version. She was so nice to take me through the building, highlighting specific points and answering my questions. I marveled at the artifacts in the basement.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This house is across from the Winchester Visitors Center. There is a small separate building wih a small museum that sells the tickets. You can purchase a multi-ticket for Abram's Delight, Stonewall Jackson's office, and George Wahingon's office. I left the Abram's house for last. Eventhough it was 30 min til closing, they were nice enough to give the full 45 min tour.

The delightful tour gave a history of the town and the Hollingsworth family. The guide was brand new and had to check his note cards, but the tour was still delightful and informative.

If you have an extra 10 min, there is a log cabin on the property that was relocated here for preservation. It is original, but not Abram's cabin.

1  Thank Linda G
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We purchased the block pass to 3 attractions...Abrams Delight ,Stonewall Jackson Headquarters and Washingtons office. It was interesting to see the progression through time since there are several periods represented in the 3 sites. I also found the guides to be very knowledgable in more then just the major details. A lot of interesting facts about individual pieces and people. I would definately recommend this. It is located next to a visitors center, parks and a university

2  Thank Richard V