“Breakfast is not included...but really clean!”

Hotel Modern Winchester
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed August 4, 2013

For my business trip I read all the reviews for area hotels as I am not from this area. My only concern was cleanliness. This place definitely has that Urban upscale feel. Euro style and I loved it plus no funny fumigation smells like most other hotels have. In the elevators they play trendy samba type music, a Miami flavor. Colors are cool and blends well. Rooms are sparse but that's okay. Your fridge is under the bathroom sink (took me a day to find mine) and cool glass showers. And it's true the staff is "indifferent". But not in a rude way. I would definitely stay here again but breakfast is not included?? Who does that anymore?? I observed families really ENJOYING the lounge area. There is a pool table and just a comfy atmosphere that made people want to just lounge. I was told that this is the weekend party spot so be warned. I noticed there was a lady that brought her kids in to swim. If I could spot that, how could the front desk not catch that one?? or are they just "indifferent"?? Room was clean but hallways and elevator areas are dirty! I cleaned the elevator buttons myself they were so gross. This location needs a surprise visit...and these small little problems will not occur again. The surrounding area is NOT the best. The "view" is horrible. You are across from some Latino Plaza and a Food Lion Keep that in mind. You are near buffet's and just down the street near Apple Blossom Mall is all of the standard eateries. The parking lot is safe and no one messes with your car. There is a motel 8 right next door, but a big walled fence protects you and yours. You will see various characters walking to the gas station if you are looking out the window. Around 11pm the train comes. It is sooo loud! but this is Virginia...You will be pleased because of the cleanliness of your room, decor, safety. The location needs a stronger management presence. You feel as if no one is really in charge when you visit here. Also a uniform would be nice. Something to set them apart. Like jackets, or all black or a name tag at the very least!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BunniesOpinion

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This review is based more-so on my experiences with other Aloft hotels, of which I have stayed at a few around the DC area. While I do prefer Aloft when traveling to other hotels, we just had a few unfortunate incidents that put a damper on our stay.

The room was clean, and lobby was great, the staff was nice. We were traveling with our 3 year old, so the pool was a big hit.

The first problem we ran into was when we asked for any kind of sleeping option for our little girl. The only thing they had to offer us was a crib, which we were happy to use for a couple nights. When the crib was sent up, we realized they didn't bring any linens to go with it. This is a common problem we have faced among several hotels, so we just called the front desk asking for some blankets and pillows for the crib. They brought up one very small blanket that wasn't even the size of the crib mattress. I was hoping for even a sheet that we could fold up and make do. Fortunately we had brought our own blankets, and just went down to our car to get them instead of bugging the staff again.

The next problem was the ridiculously loud party happening in the room next door, starting at 10:30pm. I understand this is kind of a luck-of-the-draw thing when it comes to noisy neighbors, but this was ridiculous. I heard every detail of their drunken conversation from my bed (they were literally telling big fish stories). As a pregnant women with a three year old in tow, I was not very happy. We waited a few minutes to see if it would quiet down, but it only got louder. I called down to the lobby, asking if there was something to be done about it. They asked me a few questions, and said they would look into it. We waited another 20 minutes, and my husband was going to call the lobby again, but they eventually started to settle down. We asked the lobby if the people in the room next to us were going to be there the next night, and they said they couldn't give us that information. We clarified that we just didn't want to be next to them again, and they said we wouldn't. The next night was much quieter.

They also do swimming lessons in the pool. I was a little confused, wondering if we were supposed to be there or not while lessons were going on, but I figured as paying customers we were entitled to use the facilities, right? We didn't really have any problems with that.

We had some credits for breakfast, which had pretty good options. I stuck with a bagel and cereal, and my husband tried out the breakfast sandwiches they offer. Unfortunately, they forgot the eggs on his egg and bacon sandwich, so it was just bacon and croissant. We were already in the car when he opened it up, or else we would have just asked them to fix it. My husband also casually pointed out that buying the breakfast combo with fruit is actually more expensive than just buying everything separately. The fellow at the front desk just stared at him. Surely we're not the first people to notice this?

Anyway, it was a clean hotel, and definitely a nicer option in the area than other hotel chains. It is in a nice location close to restaurants and shopping, across the street from a grocery store. But watch out for noisy neighbors and be sure to check your breakfast sandwiches before you head out :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Hotel Modern Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear liliribs,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're happy to hear that you and your family overall enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your honest feedback and always looking to improve ourselves. As for some of the issues you experienced during your recent stay with us, we usually provide a disposable fitted sheet and flat sheet when a crib is requested. However, it sounds like we only provided the fitted sheet originally, and then brought up the flat sheet after that. We will take this information back to the team and ensure they all understand what needs to be delivered when a crib is requested. We're terribly sorry for leaving our the most important part of a breakfast sandwich - the eggs! I'm not sure how that happened, but that definitely was a one off situation and we're so sorry for the inconvenience. Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope this experience does not deter you from staying with us (and other Aloft Hotels) again. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Great pet friendly hotel. Friendly, courteous service and clean rooms. We route our trip north to stay here. Conveniently located to many restaurants and anything you need. Hotel has a new, fresh look and rates are very competitive. GM is very nice and very accommodating. Check it out.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed one night at this Aloft during early July while driving down from New York. I wanted someplace to stop overnight after having been on the road for 8 hours. It was the PERFECT choice to stay here.

I have been to many Aloft hotels over the years, and I'm pleased to say this one ranks among the best. The place was spotlessly clean, excellent modern furnishings, a really active and social crowd in the bar/lobby, and highly generous front desk assistance. (E.g. They even gave me a few extra soaps / lotions, since I love the "True Blue" by Bliss amenities.)

It's so hard to find a non-ugly or badly-designed hotel to stay in -- especially in somewhere as out-of-the-way as Winchester, VA. This Aloft is definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear plt981,
Thank you for your rave reviews. We're thrilled to hear that we provided an amazing escape for you during your recent road trip. We hope to host you again and perhaps next time stay a little bit longer and enjoy all that scenic Shenandoah Valley has to offer.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is a great place! We were passing through the area and it suited our needs perfectly. The Manager and staff were very helpful and accommodating with our car. The rooms were vey innovative and comfortable. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was our first stay at an Aloft property, and it lived up to our expectations! We stay at a lot of Starwood properties and have been looking forward to checking out the Aloft brand. It has a funky vibe and feels a bit like a boutique hotel. The gals at check-in weren't too helpful on some questions we had but friendly nevertheless. The bartender was great and the lounge a great area to grab a drink in the evening. The location is a couple miles from the downtown Main St area, so do keep that in mind. However, we would stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This was our first stay in Aloft hotel. It was different experience in positive way. We have seen more than many hotels during past years. This was an totally un-usual kind of hotel with really smart design. From layout to funny colours, room was not a typical hotel room. Hotel was clean and silent. Staff were friendly and helpful. Fast and good self-laundry machines were also very useful. I can't wait to stay some other Aloft hotel.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Hotel Modern Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear HOHarrison,
Thank you for trying Aloft Hotels during your recent visit to Winchester. We're ecstatic that you love our fun vibe and atmosphere that we have created, enjoy the staff we have employed here, and had a comfortable stay. Thanks for sharing your feedback and we are excited for you to try out more Aloft Hotels in different locations. We also look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel the next time you're in Winchester.