New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of aloft Winchester

aloft Winchester
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
New York City, New York
“Funky chic Pleasant surprise off Interstate 81”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Husband & I traveling from Asheville to New York up interstate 81. We wanted to stop overnight about halfway. Decided on Winchester Virginia. Read that they had an historical downtown. Thought it'd be nice to walk around after a day of driving.
Went on Hotwire and did the old book blindly three star for $77. Worked out well. The Aloft was a pleasant surprise. Very funky European design. A welcome change from the disguising bedspreads and carpets of tired motel rooms.
May not be everyone's cup of tea but I loved it. Room lay out fit the king bed well facing a wall mount flat screen over a leather bed with desk. The closets and bowl sink are separated by a partition wall behind the bed and the toilet & shower by a pocket door , all beautifully tiled (no tub) which was a nice change. Bliss bath products & fluffy towels.
One shower wall is all smoked glass facing into bedroom. I guess you can make out the person if you really tried but you are sharing a bed.
Don't stay here if you're looking for warm and friendly, this is non B&B. they have snacks & coffee available for purchase. You can sit in their very funky lounge. Reminds me of Virgin Airlines design. We were scared about the reviews regarding parties going on the lounge. We didn't see any and unless you're hanging out in the bar, it shouldn't effect you.
You will not receive helpful advice about the area from the staff. (At least the girl we encountered at the front desk). Like I said this is no B&B.
The location was great for travel on I 81 but about 2 - 3 miles from the downtown area. Hotels near by we're the Red Roof in & Best Western. Lots of chain restaurants nearby but you'll need to drive or walk about 2 miles to get anything else. We walked to the paper
Mill diner (a local favorite) but we like to walk. Especially before starting a 5 hour drive. Husband tried scrapple - yuck.
Old Down town was weird. I believe I feel that way due to the time of our arrival. Must have been 5:30 Saturday? Pretty much everything closes at 4 so it was dead. Scary ghost town dead. Plenty of parking, meters stop at 4 too. Lots of restaurants waiting for people. It did liven up a bit as we ate at Brewbakers - ok pub, we got spoiled in Asheville. If you going go early to see sites.
For the price the hotel was fantastic. We pay $75 for a flop house in Asheville (but it was down town). If you appreciate funky style & design Aloft is for you.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
cape may, nj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

False advertising. Bar supposed to be open 630 to 11 PM. Arrived at 10:30 told no alcohol, Wanted a drink to relax after a long drive. Reason we picked aloft. Always appreciate the rooms And the pool table

Stayed May 2013
Fairfax Station, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

A welcome change from the cookie cutter hotel chains of the past. Some unique design features makes me feel transported to Europe, even in Winchester. Dog friendly, small fridge and nice tv in the room. Plenty of outlets. Convienent location. Bar and entertainment in the lobby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jorgensen2016
Silver Spring, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I enjoyed the design features of the room, but had issues with some things. The bed felt like I was sleeping on a slab of cement, and I couldn't get up early to shower without waking up my partner because of the window in the shower that looks out by the bed, and the close-up photo of cow fur over the bed was--unique! My biggest issue was the fact that there were loud parties going on throughout the hotel until just before I had to get up. I was later told that some students from the nearby university actually live in the hotel. If I'd wanted to stay in a dorm, I could have stayed at the school!

Room Tip: find a different hotel!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Reston, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We thought hotel is good after reading others review but when we went there the front desk lady was very rude and not helpful and looked she does not care of customer and in night about 10pm when we came back after a trip from town found there is no parking and when we went inside we saw a big party going on near the lobby with very loud sound and again the same frond desk lady told they rent the lobby/bar every weekend for party and so there is no parking and told us to come back after 2-3 hrs when the party is over to find parking and we cant believe she said that even we are guest of the hotel they do not care and looks like they are just trying to make money by giving the space for party.We also saw people drinking even with kids around and few people drinking even in parking space and as we have kid of 6 year we did not feel safe and we stay in so many hotels and never saw such bad environment and not sure how can they allow people drink in parking lost with kids around and should complain to police and so will recommend no one to stay and if you have kids never think of staying in this hotel as you will only find party with loud noise and no parking spot and rude font desk.Mark my words...

Room Tip: As said do not stay in this hotel and there are many other good 4 star hotels near by with cheap pri...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Aloft hotels are a nice option for a quick stay, the bathrooms are nice and TV set up is great but not movies at this location, very dog friendly.
There is not microwave and very little choices to grab a bite there's only old sandwiches and junk down in the lobby, very limited choices in walking distance. The staff is great, gym and pool are also great. A few drawbacks a little pricey for the area.

• Stayed May 2013
Winchester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I rented the Aloft Hotels patio for a birthday party and it was above AWSOME! The staff was very accomadating and gave excellent customer service! Several of my guests and I stayed there and the rooms are very modern, clean and nice!
I highly reccomend this hotel and I actually use it to put up my clients from out of town there!

Room Tip: It is also pet friendly!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends