“If only the Room coffee was "drinkable"”
Review of aloft Winchester

aloft Winchester
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Bristol, Virginia
“If only the Room coffee was "drinkable"”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Clean, modern hotel with bright happy colors and terrific rates. No extra charge for a small pet and he even gets a big Milk-Bone dog biscuit! The staff is friendly and helpful. Don't plan on eating anything "substantial". Little snacks, mostly healthy and drinks also. There is a bar, pool table, a swimming pool and there are many restaurants and stores within walking distance. A comfortable place with a small room....kind of European style...but with everything you need. A lot of room in a small space. The hotel did have many menus and web-sites for nearby restaurants...just ask. No ice or vending machines on every floor seemed kind of strange, but not such an awful inconvenience. Bliss toiletries provided...nice touch, also. Most hotels this comfortable and clean charge a lot more money. I guess it depends what your priorities are.

Room Tip: My only tip would be to bring your own coffee and coffee maker. The coffee in the room, as in most h...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We needed to spend a night in Winchester, and when we used Priceline to get a cheap room, we ended up booking the Aloft. It sounded fun on their website, so we were happy. Then we saw that they're 100% smoke-free and we were THRILLED, we didn't have to make a phone call requesting that! The Priceline raiting for the hotel was 3-star, so I expected that.

The hotel was good - the room was clean, the beds were pretty comfy, I appreciated the decor and fun colors and design throughout. The in-room amenities were sufficient - soap and lotion at the sink, dispensers 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner (didn't try it) and body wash (smelled great) that reminded me of being on a cruise but unfortunately we weren't ;) , two free bottles of water that we put in the small refrigerator and were GREAT the next VERY hot day, coffee maker (without much creamer or Splenda, as usual for hotels), etc. Free WiFi made things easier, too. The pool and exercise room looked good, but we didn't get a chance to visit them. The lounge area also looked nice, but again, no time for us. :)

Our biggest downfalls were that we were travelling with younger children, and the sinks, although fun in design, were very challenging for our kids to manage because of their height (and our kids are tall!)... it would have been nice to be offered a stool since they were so much higher than most sinks. We also found the shower (no tub) a bit of a bummer, simply because the shower head wasn't hand-held, so it was challenging to clean two shorter bodies. ;) My husband and I were fine with the shower, of course. The chairs in the room (desk chair and a bench) were uncomfortable, but I probably wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't trying to fill my time quietly while my kids were sleeping.

There were convenience-food items available for purchase by the lobby, which was nice to have, but they were much pricier than if you just ran to a closeby store for the same items. I understand that, but wished I could have justified the cost of a breakfast sandwich in the hotel. :)

Overall, for the price we paid, I was pleased with our stay. I do think the star-rating was a bit off... it seemed to me pretty similar to 2.5-stars like Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express, just without the free breakfast.

Room Tip: Outside noise was pretty noisy - if you don't have a sound machine or white noise app on your ip...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed there for 2 nights during memorial day weekend on our trip to Luray caverns and Skyline drive..Location is good & had many dining options near by.. The Hotel did not have a nearby restaurants menu, which I expected.. Hotel appearance is very attractive to the younger crowd.. the front desk and lounge & well setup... We had a king bed on 4th floor (410).. Room design is well done to best utilize every available space.. This is a not like a typical hotel room, has sleek & modern design.. No bath tub, instead glass door shower... Also there is a smoked glass to the bed room from the shower, which gives a romatic touch.. Not sure if other double bed rooms also have a smoked glass... coz it can be really awkward when you are sharing room with family (parents) or friends...Main issue I had was the outside noise that I could hear + the A/C noise...My sleep normally doesnt get disturbed with little noise... I woke up more than three times due to outside vehicles (motorcycle) & noise other rooms...You can literally hear when someone opens or closes another room's door, which I feel is a bad construction for such a new Hotel..The bed was fine, but pillows were not that comfortable.. it could be a personal choice though... Also I'm now used to a refrigerator & a microwave which is missing in Aloft...There is no ice on the floor, but you can get packed ice from the lobby, which is fine...The staff were very friendly & they were very prompt in getting me more coffee when requested...Pool is small, but functional & the gym is good, though I did not use it..One more point to note is this hotel is pet friendly & I didnt have any issues during my stay.. Overall I would still go for it for the cheap rate that I got through Hotwire..

Room Tip: Check out A/C Noise & also dont forget to get ice while checking in...
1 Thank Hari K
Stow, Ohio
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This was our base hotel for a Virginia Winery weekend. On price line, we got a great deal on the room. Aside from the decor, this is a great hotel. First, our room was very clean. Next, this is the most room I have had in a hotel shower. Finally, I did not hear any noise from any other room. We slept comfortably both night we were there.

Richmond
Reviewed May 19, 2012

We are spending our first (and probably only) time in Winchester's Aloft Hotel. Our first impression is a positive one. Very modern and sleek design, obviously plenty of time went into designing it. But then we got down to the amenities we are used to and it was lacking in most everything. There are no ice machines in this hotel. There is no restaurant, therefore no room service. The bar does not open until 5pm, so if you want a mimosa in the late morning, you will need to go across the street to Food Lion and the ABC store to concoct it yourself. The pool. Oh the pool is a joke. It is tiny, and should be more described as a hot tub for 20 people. The breakfast offered was a continental, with 2 coffees, orange juice, a pastry, croissant and a bagel costing $16. We certainly expect to pay well for breakfast, but not a cold one and not for a coffee machine that ran out of beans after the first coffee we made. The greatest problem at this hotel really was the service. While the girl working the night shift was very pleasant and accommodating (brought a dog bed to our room without hesitation), another girl who worked the day shift on the Saturday we were there came across as less than helpful, happy to tell me no, and certainly had no intention of bringing anything to my room. I called down for a wine key, and when she never showed, I went down to find her eating pizza completely unsurprised I was coming to retrieve the wine key. She was entirely unaware that when hotel guests call down for something, that means bring it to me!!

Any moderately light sleeper should know that even on the fifth floor, the traffic was very noisy in our room. The hotel is on the busy Millwood Pike of outer Winchester, and they clearly did not splurge on the noise-proof windows. The cleaning crew, however, does a spectacular job. The room we stayed in was immaculate. My only complaint was the bleach stinging our eyes as it wafted off the comforter. That reminds me, any guests walking into Aloft will be punched HARD in the face by the fumes of chlorine that suffocate the lobby. Actually, the entire hotel for that matter.

Overall, Aloft is perhaps attempting to portray the image of a swanky hotel, but failing to follow through with the little touches that people who frequent boutique hotels will expect. Room service is key. Bell hops, available ice, a restaurant and bar open at least for brunch, and a reasonable sized pool when a pool is advertised are not too much to ask. This particular Aloft appears to only have young people under the age of 20 on the clock at any given time. How much experience and respect can you expect to receive in this scenario?

Dear RedkeliRichmond,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It appears by your comments that we didn't meet all of your expectations.

You noted the lack of ice machines on property, no restaurant, no room service, lounge not opening before 5pm, the pool size, cold breakfast with ala carte price of $16, chlorine smell from pool, lack of bell hops, and only people under the age of 20 working at any given time.

I appreciate all reviews of the Aloft hotel both good and bad (you can tell by our response to other reviews) as it helps us gauge our goal of the 3 E's. Exceeding Expectations Everytime. Your review seems to be slightly off base and let me explain.

No Ice Machines - Aloft does not want ice machines on each floor because guest complain about the noise and while this may seem as an inconvenience for some, it’s designed this way so that 1. We can serve you and bring the ice to you or 2. It helps us get to know you better when you come to the lobby and find pre-packaged ice out of the coolers in the Re:fuel area.

No Restaurant - Aloft has the WXYZ Lounge which serves food. It opens at 5pm every day. While the WXYZ Lounge does serve food, it is more along the lines of finger foods and appetizers. There are very few items on the menu that cater to a sit down style restaurant with a waiter/waitress.

No Room Service - If you call down to the front desk and ordered off of the WXYZ Lounge menu, we would either have it in to-go boxes for you at the lounge to pick up or we would gladly bring it up to your room.

WXYZ Lounge - You are correct it doesn't open until 5pm. WXYZ Lounge isn't set-up to be open all day long. It is designed to be a cool hip place to hang out after work or other weekend leisure activities. It wasn't designed to be the only place you visit while at the hotel.

Pool Size and Chlorine Smell - Aloft's pool is a salt water pool therefore no chlorine would be used. Although it isn't an Olympic size lap pool, it is 27'x14'.

Lack of Bell Hops - Aloft prides itself on service. If you needed help carrying your bags to your room or to your car we would have been glad to help out. Aloft doesn't have Bell Hops or Valet Parking it isn't our style.

Cold Continental Breakfast for $16 - Aloft has a chef in the morning preparing made to order hot breakfast sandwiches - Bacon/Egg and Cheese, Turkey/Egg and Cheese, Ham/Egg and Cheese, or any combination of the list. The items you listed are also on our menu, but the price for which you listed those items is slightly inaccurate. Each of the items - bagel, pastry, and croissant are $2, the juice is $2.50, and the coffee is complimentary. Unless you bought multiple of each item (which wasn't specified) it couldn't have added up to $16.

"This particular Aloft appears to only have young people under the age of 20 on the clock at any given time." - There is only one employee that is under the age of 20. Aloft doesn't discriminate based on age. According to Virginia law, anyone serving open liquor must be at least the age of 21.

Although I wish we could have exceeded your expectations, I feel that a full-service "bells and whistles" luxury hotel such as a Westin would have been a better choice of hotel to meet your specific needs.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me personally. I appreciate you trying Aloft - Winchester.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

We have stayed at the Aloft in Winchester several times and have always had a good experience. If you are not familiar with the Aloft Brand (Westin owned) the furniture and look is more of a modern style. They also have a grocery style approach to food and beverage which may be purchase ala carte in the lobby. They have pool, excerise room and nice lobby with pool table. Aloft in Winchester does have a bar. The rooms and beds are comfortable. In addition FREE wireless and FREE parking.

• Stayed May 2012
RJG1214,

Thank you for the review. We couldn't have said it much better ourselves!

We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Morfelden-Walldorf, Germany
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Fun, modern hotel with lots of great amenities such as a nice workout room, laundry facilities, pool, and things for everyone of every age!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kandis b
kandis b,

We really appreciate the 5 circle rating that you gave us! We also really appreciate the business. We look forward to you staying with us again!