“Not good at all”

aloft Winchester
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
“Not good at all”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel several times now. We stay because we are Starwood Preferred guest and use their hotels as often as possible. The first stay was great. The second stay we had an issue with the television and the sink draining, neither of which was fixed. The third and maybe last stay the sick wouldn't drain well, there was not hot water, and the people in the room beside us kept us up both nights until all hours and woke us up early. When we spoke with the gentleman at the front desk, we told us he would send someone to check on it. They also told us that they would speak with the guest next to us. They may have but it didn't do any good. If anything it got worse. When we check out we again spoke about the water to the same gentleman as the day before. He then told us the entire hotel was having an issue and it had been happening for days. (when the day before he stated we were the only ones complaining.) Now I see on here others were complaining as well. Through all this, no one offered our money back or gave us a discount. Another man was at the desk checking out and stating he had been charged the wrong rate. The desk clerk (same one as above) stated he knew nothing about it. Speak to whoever you spoke to. He then looked over top of the guest and asked me if he could help me. After calling on Monday and speaking with the Manager she stated she would give me my starpoints back. After having to call back again she did credit me the points.

The hotel it's is a nice looking hotel and the rooms are nice but the service you recieve while there really makes me not want to return. The day desk clerk (gentleman) with light hair and glasses really needs to get customer service training and a better personality and the night shift really needs to follow through with what they say. Oh, and did I say theres a bar right as you walk in the door so when you are trying to check in or get to your room you must fight your way through 30 or more people.

Room Tip: If you are looking for good customer service my suggestion is to visit another hotel. Candlewood an...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank vacritter2000
Josh R, Manager at aloft Winchester, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
vacritter2000,

Thank you for the comments. I have been able to use these in further training with our front desk staff.

We did have a problem with the hot water in the hotel, but we were able to get it fixed the next morning. I apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused you.

I hope you will give us another chance when you visit Winchester, VA again.

Thanks,

Josh Reichert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
New York, NY
Reviewed February 8, 2012

My stay was on Feb 7. I've stayed at a number of Aloft hotels in Virginia and Maryland, including the one in Winchester. This by far was the worst. The girl [and I mean girl] at reception did not use the Aloft dialogue, didn't welcome me back, didn't tell me she had my SPG platinum number on file until I asked. She wasn't professional or polite by any stretch of the imagination, although not rude. . I wasn't asked my choice of Platinum amenity. Whatever. There wasn't the music playing that usally is. Again - whatever. So I went to my room. I clearly wasn't upgraded to their best available room [which should be automatic] and there was no water in the room. So i went downstairs and asked about the water. I was told they don't do that. I added "any more" because clearly they had in the past. I asked if she gave me points as my amenity, which she said she did. I asked the girl if that was really the best room avialable. Her answer was "ummmm" and started slowly cliking through computer screens. The parking lot was empty. I just walked away since the only upgrade they could have given me anyway was a larger room or a corner and it wasn't worth the confused dumb look I was getting. In addition to no water, there were no magazines in the room, the cheapest coffee and tea, fewer toiletries. As a platinum I would get a voucher for a snack, or a cocktail, or a little basket of snacks in my room at previous Aloft stays. Nothing. This is not how it was in the past. The next morning I asked for a newspaper. Same girl [I think her name was Lisa] "I don't think they were dropped off". It was 7:30 in the morning. They either dropped them off at 5 when they usually do, or they didn't. By 7:30 if you had event the slightest interest in your job you would know the answer to that question. I should have stayed at the super 8 next door. At least I'd know what to expect.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dsgnrgrl
dsgnrgrl,

Thank you for your comments. I apologize that we didn't meet your level of expectations. As a Platinum member we want to thank you for your loyal Starwood following. As a frequent guest of Aloft you probably have realized that all of our rooms are the same. We do not have any suites or "upgrades". Our rooms are equipped with either one very comfortable king, or two incredible queens. Everyone that stays enjoys all of the same amenities.

Thank you for your stay and we would like you to come back to give us a second chance.

Thanks,

Josh Reichert
richmond, virginia
Reviewed January 30, 2012

My husband and I decided to stay at Aloft after finding a Groupon deal that made it the best price out of the hotels in the area. Our stay wasn't fabulous, but it wasn't terrible either. Checkin was fast and super easy and the woman at the front desk was nice and friendly. The room was clean and modern. The bed was a little firm for my taste, but overall comfortable. The biggest downfall for me was lack of hot water in the shower. It took forever to warm up and when it finally got hot...it wasn't really all that hot, just sorta luke warm. I did tell management about it at checkout and they said they were looking into the issue.
You should also know that this hotel is dog friendly. Being a dog owner myself, I really appreciated that feature (although we did not have our dog with us on this trip). But, if there are dogs on your floor, and they bark, you will hear it. The walls are thin. During our stay, someone left their dog in their room late at night, and that dog barked nonstop from about 11 p.m. until about 3 a.m. I couldn't sleep at all. Even the TV didn't drown out the noise of the barking dog. I know this is nothing hotel management can really control, but it is something to keep in mind if you definitely need a quiet night of sleep.
The hotel also has a snack area in the lobby that is open 24 hours...a nice feature for late night munchies. Prices were high, but nice if you need something to eat in a pinch.
I don't know if we'll ever stay at an Aloft property again, but it's just your average, run of the mill hotel...a decent price for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: find out if there are dogs on your floor! If they bark, you will hear it!
1 Thank jmukurls
Newville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Staff friendly. Fitness center and pool were a bonus. Room was clean and comfortable. Only wish the bar/restaurant opened before 5 pm. Will stay again when in town for SU activities, great location to college activities.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Monica J
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Although my family only stayed one night, we found the hotel and staff to be pretty spectacular. We arrived at the hotel well before check-in and the front desk agent Bobby was able to get us in right away.

The hotel has everything you could possibly need. The snack bar, right inside the front door, is well supplied with numerous options, this is also where you would find the ice. There is a coffee bar which is complimentary. They also have pool tables and plenty of seating if you want to get out of your room. The swimming pool isn't very large, however it is enough to keep everyone entertained. The workout room was clean and had several different machines along with free weights.

The rooms are comfortable and fairly spacious. I love the fact that every single room is exactly alike. There are fridges in all the rooms which I think is a bonus. The only issue we had with the rooms is that there was hardly any hot water in the shower.

Bobby, at the front desk, was very helpful giving directions and advice on the area. He was extremely friendly and definitely an asset to the property. As a Starwood employee myself, I have had plenty of opportunities to travel to other properties and I feel that this is potentially one of my favorites. Keep up the great work, but also make sure you keep Bobby around!!!

Thanks for a great stay and we hope to see you again soon.

• Stayed January 2012
Reviewed January 15, 2012

My wife and I just did a little weekend getaway and decided to take our chances with a new hotel. Turns out, they had a terrific military discount. The rooms were trendy and nice, TV was a large flat screen, everything was very clean. I've read some of the negative reviews on here... To me, the room was very "efficient." They definitely made the most out of the space provided, but I did not feel the least bit cramped. If you're someone who needs a lot of space to escape from your spouse or children you might look for a larger room somewhere, but there are definitely plenty of amenities around the hotel to distract them during your alone time. We had a great time. The pool, gym, bar, and games in the lobby were great. Yes there was an iron and ironing board, yes the bed was very firm with only 3 pillows. Do you really need more?? Actually that was probably the best night of sleep I've had at a hotel in a long time. We enjoyed our stay and will definitely return.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 12, 2012

This hotel is a year and a half old. It is ultra modern, eclectic decor, bright, clean and shiney. I had never heard of this chain before, but we will try anything once. Check in was easy, having been prebooked and paid for. Our room was on the fifth floor with a nice view facing east, of the outskirts of town, and the mountains. The room was the standard size hotel room, only the space has been mixed up. There is what I would call a partition dividing the room into two sections. The counter with the big porcelin sink sitting on top of it is just inside the door, with the commode, and stand up shower at the end of that space seperated with a sliding door. There is a tiny fridge under the counter where the sink is. On the partition is a small wall safe, and shelving for clothing, jackets, shoes etc. The sleeping area contained the king size bed, with the partition being the headboard with attached shelves on either side the night stands.
At the foot of the bed between the two windows was a vinyl sofa, very uncomforable to sit on but great for placing luggage. In front of each window was a shelf, one overtop of the room airconditioner/heater and the other in front of the second window, the work station and charging station for electronics. There was a modern office style chair at the station. Flat screen TV was on the wall above the couch. There were room darkening roller shades on each window. The bed was comfortable, but the bedding was a little tired. The shower took forever to heat up. On our way to the elevator, we passed the swimming pool which was being well used. I think they were conducting aqua fit classes and swimming lessons for the locals. There was a beautiful work out room with steppers, treadmills, rowers, etc, but no one was using it each time we passed by. There is an elevated section in the lobby with some round tables, and a bar, also off to one side of that area was a fire place and some lounging furniture. On the other side was some more lounging furniture and a full size pool table. There is a so called grab and go section with assorted food that you can help yourself to, pay for and leave. There is an urn of free coffee. There was no manual in this room to explain any of the features that are offered or other helpful advice. I could not find the ice machine, on the floor, had to call the desk and was told that it is in the main lobby. We had a little plactic ice bucket which I took to the lobby to fill, but the ice was pre bagged in little plastic bags in a freezer of the grab and go food section. I did not find the staff to be friendly and forthcoming with advice as to how the grab and go feature works, so we did not avail ourselves to that feature. I found the decor of this hotel to be cold and uninviting. It was January and the beautiful wall mounted fireplace could have been on to add some warmth and comfort but it was off.

2 Thank lovetovacation075