“Just Okay, Lacks Hot Water, Barking Dog Issue”

Hotel Modern Winchester
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed January 30, 2012

My husband and I decided to stay at Aloft after finding a Groupon deal that made it the best price out of the hotels in the area. Our stay wasn't fabulous, but it wasn't terrible either. Checkin was fast and super easy and the woman at the front desk was nice and friendly. The room was clean and modern. The bed was a little firm for my taste, but overall comfortable. The biggest downfall for me was lack of hot water in the shower. It took forever to warm up and when it finally got hot...it wasn't really all that hot, just sorta luke warm. I did tell management about it at checkout and they said they were looking into the issue.
You should also know that this hotel is dog friendly. Being a dog owner myself, I really appreciated that feature (although we did not have our dog with us on this trip). But, if there are dogs on your floor, and they bark, you will hear it. The walls are thin. During our stay, someone left their dog in their room late at night, and that dog barked nonstop from about 11 p.m. until about 3 a.m. I couldn't sleep at all. Even the TV didn't drown out the noise of the barking dog. I know this is nothing hotel management can really control, but it is something to keep in mind if you definitely need a quiet night of sleep.
The hotel also has a snack area in the lobby that is open 24 hours...a nice feature for late night munchies. Prices were high, but nice if you need something to eat in a pinch.
I don't know if we'll ever stay at an Aloft property again, but it's just your average, run of the mill hotel...a decent price for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: find out if there are dogs on your floor! If they bark, you will hear it!
1  Thank jmukurls
There are newer reviews for Hotel Modern Winchester

Reviewed January 29, 2012

Staff friendly. Fitness center and pool were a bonus. Room was clean and comfortable. Only wish the bar/restaurant opened before 5 pm. Will stay again when in town for SU activities, great location to college activities.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Monica J
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Although my family only stayed one night, we found the hotel and staff to be pretty spectacular. We arrived at the hotel well before check-in and the front desk agent Bobby was able to get us in right away.

The hotel has everything you could possibly need. The snack bar, right inside the front door, is well supplied with numerous options, this is also where you would find the ice. There is a coffee bar which is complimentary. They also have pool tables and plenty of seating if you want to get out of your room. The swimming pool isn't very large, however it is enough to keep everyone entertained. The workout room was clean and had several different machines along with free weights.

The rooms are comfortable and fairly spacious. I love the fact that every single room is exactly alike. There are fridges in all the rooms which I think is a bonus. The only issue we had with the rooms is that there was hardly any hot water in the shower.

Bobby, at the front desk, was very helpful giving directions and advice on the area. He was extremely friendly and definitely an asset to the property. As a Starwood employee myself, I have had plenty of opportunities to travel to other properties and I feel that this is potentially one of my favorites. Keep up the great work, but also make sure you keep Bobby around!!!

Thanks for a great stay and we hope to see you again soon.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 15, 2012

My wife and I just did a little weekend getaway and decided to take our chances with a new hotel. Turns out, they had a terrific military discount. The rooms were trendy and nice, TV was a large flat screen, everything was very clean. I've read some of the negative reviews on here... To me, the room was very "efficient." They definitely made the most out of the space provided, but I did not feel the least bit cramped. If you're someone who needs a lot of space to escape from your spouse or children you might look for a larger room somewhere, but there are definitely plenty of amenities around the hotel to distract them during your alone time. We had a great time. The pool, gym, bar, and games in the lobby were great. Yes there was an iron and ironing board, yes the bed was very firm with only 3 pillows. Do you really need more?? Actually that was probably the best night of sleep I've had at a hotel in a long time. We enjoyed our stay and will definitely return.

Reviewed January 12, 2012

This hotel is a year and a half old. It is ultra modern, eclectic decor, bright, clean and shiney. I had never heard of this chain before, but we will try anything once. Check in was easy, having been prebooked and paid for. Our room was on the fifth floor with a nice view facing east, of the outskirts of town, and the mountains. The room was the standard size hotel room, only the space has been mixed up. There is what I would call a partition dividing the room into two sections. The counter with the big porcelin sink sitting on top of it is just inside the door, with the commode, and stand up shower at the end of that space seperated with a sliding door. There is a tiny fridge under the counter where the sink is. On the partition is a small wall safe, and shelving for clothing, jackets, shoes etc. The sleeping area contained the king size bed, with the partition being the headboard with attached shelves on either side the night stands.
At the foot of the bed between the two windows was a vinyl sofa, very uncomforable to sit on but great for placing luggage. In front of each window was a shelf, one overtop of the room airconditioner/heater and the other in front of the second window, the work station and charging station for electronics. There was a modern office style chair at the station. Flat screen TV was on the wall above the couch. There were room darkening roller shades on each window. The bed was comfortable, but the bedding was a little tired. The shower took forever to heat up. On our way to the elevator, we passed the swimming pool which was being well used. I think they were conducting aqua fit classes and swimming lessons for the locals. There was a beautiful work out room with steppers, treadmills, rowers, etc, but no one was using it each time we passed by. There is an elevated section in the lobby with some round tables, and a bar, also off to one side of that area was a fire place and some lounging furniture. On the other side was some more lounging furniture and a full size pool table. There is a so called grab and go section with assorted food that you can help yourself to, pay for and leave. There is an urn of free coffee. There was no manual in this room to explain any of the features that are offered or other helpful advice. I could not find the ice machine, on the floor, had to call the desk and was told that it is in the main lobby. We had a little plactic ice bucket which I took to the lobby to fill, but the ice was pre bagged in little plastic bags in a freezer of the grab and go food section. I did not find the staff to be friendly and forthcoming with advice as to how the grab and go feature works, so we did not avail ourselves to that feature. I found the decor of this hotel to be cold and uninviting. It was January and the beautiful wall mounted fireplace could have been on to add some warmth and comfort but it was off.

2  Thank lovetovacation075
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Quite the pleasant surprise! I lived in nearby Boyce 10 years ago when there wasn't much to expect from Winchester hotels (having had a number of guests stay here). In fact, I was even more concerned since this was an unplanned stay on New Year's Eve. As Starwoods Star Points members, our first surprise that they even had a presence in this historic little corner of VA. The bigger surprise was discovering this chic boutique-style chain for the average budget-conscious traveler.

Some of the stylistic things worked better for us than others, however. While a previous reviewer complained of no irons, I found ours plus a full-size ironing board on the opposite side of the bed in a little cubbyhole. The slanted hanger rack in the "closet" area was more decorative than functional as trying to get hangers on different pins quickly became more trouble than it was worth. The lack of an ice machine also seemed odd. The indirect lighting over the beds was different as were the electric window shades (that REALLY kept out the light). Free in-room wi-fi was much appreciated (not necessarily available at much more expensive Westins!) and the lack of chairs didn't bother us--although if we spent more than one night in the room it would be a different story. We found the bed surprisingly comfortable and the lightweight comforter an especially nice touch.

All the Starwoods chain hotels are dog friendly and guests seemed to know that here. However, the hotel either needs to have someone clean up the waste or make it easier for the guests to do so. There was a spacious mulch covered area in the back of the parking lot that was full of "land mines." A baggie dispenser with a convenient trash can would go a long way to helping folks pick-up after their furry friends.

There was a well-advertised and well-stocked ReFresh food bar near the reception desk and the prices for afternoon snacks seemed reasonable. However, the morning breakfast routine was a tad confusing. It appears like it is a free breakfast buffet, but I'm not sure it is. Perhaps offering trays and putting a sign saying "pay here" would clarify things--unless management is OK with people taking a danish or two. While the free coffee area was separate, you had to return to the food area for cream and sugar. We like our coffee with half-and-half so the CoffeeMate creamer didn't cut it for us. I know they make ultra-pasteurized single-serve containers of the real thing that don't even require refrigeration, so it should be easy enough to provide.

All in all--an unexpectedly pleasant experience. We'll be willing to try another Aloft hotel and recommend this one if you're in the area.

Room Tip: Stay off the 2nd floor to avoid hearing any noise from the bar/lounge area.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jerzy-JD
Reviewed December 31, 2011

We used a Groupon at Aloft so we weren't sure what we were getting ourselves into. This place is fantastic, like no other staged or stuffy hotel in which we've stayed. We were greeted kindly by a knowledgeable young man who fit right in with the fresh and groovy theme. The lobby is entirely open with spaces designated by funky yet comfortable seating arrangements. A large screen on one wall, a gas fireplace on another, a pool table, computer station and a bar all accessible. Food is made on the premises - we had a $15 credit to the bar or for breakfast so we had delicious egg salad sandwiches for breakfast - made by our friendly young man. A fancy coffee maker looked as though it could make anything but i wandered over to fix my own coffee at the coffee bar.

Our room was an excellent example of how to make the most of a space. Large flat screen TV on the wall, bed is low and comfortable, though only three pillows on a king bed is never enough! Bathroom was exceptionally modern and clean with a European low flow water toilet, a glass shower and a nice pedestal sink. They use Bliss toiletry products which smell heavenly plus free bottles of water are available. Desk had plugs for all kinds of electronics but the wifi was a bit iffy and not 100% reliable. In the morning, when I needed a hot steam shower, I was met with luke warm. overheard others complained and nice young man had to deal with the pumps to get hot water to the higher floors. Might ask for a lower room. Also, if you're okay with traffic and horns at night, ask for an odd numbered room (we had 603) because the view of the mountains and of Winchester in the am is worth a few random horn blowers at night. We did not take part in the splash pool or the refresh gym but they were nice to look at - good equipment.

Room Tip: odd numbered rooms look out on the mountains
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple