“Much improved from previous visit!!”

Hotel Modern Winchester
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
“Much improved from previous visit!!”
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Had stayed at the aloft about 3 months ago.was very unhappy with the service. This week seemed to be new staff.the bartender was Jamie was great.my coworker n I came down for a nightcap.It was after midnight but she had no problem waiting on us as if we were her first guests at the bar. She had the personality u like to see which was lacking before with past bartenders.

• Stayed October 2011
Josh R, General Manager at Hotel Modern Winchester, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
Review4uinva,

Thank you for giving us a second chance! We are glad that your stay was much improved. Our staff strives to give each guest a wonderful stay.

We look forward to seeing you again really soon!

Josh Reichert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
syracuse,ny
Reviewed October 10, 2011

When traveling along I81, I also make a point to stay overnight at the Aloft. The hotel is very clean, comfortable bed, large shower, refrigerator, large screen tv, safe to store items. Bar is located off lobby, snacks and sandwiches available. Indoor pool and exercise room. Nearby are good places to eat as Texas Longhorn Steak and the Golden Corral. Apple Blossom Mall is nearby also. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful (esp Amy). Acess to I81 is quick and easy. The only negative is lack of a relaxing chair in the room, but this doesn't fit into the Aloft's "hip and modern" theme. Wifi is also available.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
lakers69,

Thank you for your continued business! I really appreciate your kind words.

We are really conveniently located off of I81 and within 2 miles of the Apple Blossom Mail.

I look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Winchester!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Not a big fan of the ultra modern decor, but the hotel was clean, neat and apparently well run. Sitting at the bar and looking up at the exposed piping, etc., reminded me that I need to make a trip to Home Depot. I'm old, and prefer the more conventional, but I would still recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011
Heyupmac,

Ikea could make a great hotel, but we are hip and modern and designed to look like a European boutique. Nothing against Ikea!

And for your Home Depot shopping needs we are conveniently located within 2 miles. We are also conveniently located from several great stores/attractions/restaurants/etc. in Winchester!

Can't wait to have you back at the Aloft!

Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed October 8, 2011

For a hotel of this type, price point, and location, I am not impressed. I had been eyeing the new(er) hotel, and decided I wanted to check it out, as I was in the area looking for a new place to live. From the start, it just was missing the mark. The desk associate at check in spoke as if I were an inconvenience to her. Then, when I went to my room, I was not impressed that for a "newer" hotel (I understand it's just over a year old), the amount of blemishes I saw on the walls and furniture. Whatever chemicals are used to clean the carpet make it sticky. The tile in the bathroom and sink area looks like the mop water wasn't removed. The shower leaks water all over the floor. Later in the day, a maintenance man walked RIGHT INTO MY ROOM without knocking, apparently coming in to clean the air conditioner (?). The hallways are noisy. This morning, I woke up to the sound of carpet cleaning in the hallway at 8:30 AM! PS, the bed really isn't THAT comfortable and the sheets were not spotless! Next time I will stay with Hilton... this is not enough value for the buck!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank mountainview540
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We were excited to try aLoft as looked like a nice change from the many cookie-cutter hotels in Winchester. Our stay was on Saturday, September 17th and we had a lovely room on the 6th floor that was spotless. We never could find glasses or cups to use in the bathroom and didn't know if that was part of the design or just overlooked - but we found coffee cups and they were a fine substitute.
We were looking forward to having a drink at the bar that evening but the experience was a bit uncomfortable. The couches and tables were all occupied so we took the only 2 seats available at the bar. I ended up sitting next to a man who seemed friends with the bartender. She was serving him glasss of water and chatting with him - while he was eating a large bag of food from Taco Bell. I personally didn't think that was appropriate - he was not a patron at the bar and the food was not purchased at the hotel.
We enjoyed our stay and will definately consider aLoft for future trips to Winchester.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Alexander B
Alexander B,

You are correct! No COOKIE CUTTER hotel here! If you want the exact same thing over and over and over again, look somewhere else. Ok, so try us...We won't deny the opportunity to change your mind...

Your comments and business is very much appreciated. Since your comments, we have strictly enforced our rule of when the bar is open, "your food, your room; our food, anywhere!"

I look forward to seeing you again!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 24, 2011

wow. gorgeous hotel, great modern design. but we are never staying here again. it's far from old town, which I just should have thought about beforehand. but the worst is the noise and the service. when we arrived, the person at the front desk ignored us for probably five full minutes while she flipped angrily through a notebook looking for something. when she finally turned her attention to us, she could not complain enough about how crummy her day was and why. lots of missed niceties as well, such as not stating the room number, just pushing the keys across the counter at us, and having to be asked how to get to the room. when we returned from dinner out, she was rather cozily adjusting the clothing of a man attending what appeared to be a lively party in the lobby/bar area. when we reached our room, we could hear the loud music from the party. it's now 9:32 (I just had to write this review while it's all unfortunately fresh in my mind), and the music is still going strong and loud. it's awful.

• Stayed September 2011
Wordgirrl,

As an Aloft we occasionally have live music or dj's play in the evenings. Its part of our culture. This weekend (NOV. 5th) in fact we have 80's dance night.

As a security issue, we do not verbally say room numbers out loud as they are labeled in the key packets. Anyone in the lobby could hear your room number and visit your room later. We care about our guest safety and make it a major priority in our hotel to protect our guest. We also have great outdoor lighting which creates a safe exterior environment.

We hope to have you back to give us another try.

NE Tennessee
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Stayed there twice this month, and was very impressed with all the employees that we encountered. In all respects they do an excellent job. Our biggest praise is that we stay there every time we are anywhere near there, and the timing is convenient.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Josh R, Manager at Hotel Modern Winchester, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
mickywine,

We really appreciate your response, but we appreciate your return business even more! There are words and then there are actions. Your actions of being a repeat guest is truly what we try to achieve as a hotel.

We have had a great staff since I have been here in August and we will continue to show guest our great service and true passion for our guest.

Thank you so much for your ACTIONS! Please ask to speak with me the next time you are in town. We will make it worth your while!