“Quiet, reliable hot water, friendly front desk staff, but smoky hall”

Super 8 Winchester VA
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Schenectady, New York
“Quiet, reliable hot water, friendly front desk staff, but smoky hall”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed overnight here 8/21/13 and 9/1/13 because the rate (about $57 for one person, including taxes) can't be beat. But in some ways, you get what you pay for. My nonsmoking room didn't smell very much of smoke, but the hall outside was smoky enough that, when I arrived at about 7 pm 8/21, I had to hold my breath while moving my stuff into my room. I arrived about 2 hours earlier on 9/1, when maybe there wasn't as much time for smokers to break the rules, and didn't have to actually hold my breath that time. The blankets and thin bed linens are, however, pockmarked with cigarette holes. In spite of this, I slept very well, probably because the room was very quiet each night. The parking lot of this motel does not have much room for trucks, thanks to its location between other hotels, so there's no fear of being awakened late at night by arriving trucks or early in the morning by departing ones. However, it is pet-friendly, so the night of 8/21 I was bothered a bit by a small dog barking in the hall at 9:15 when its owners checked in. This didn't last long, though. There appears to be only one employee at any time, so when my bedside lights didn't work on 8/21 the front desk clerk had to leave her post to figure out the problem, and when my smoke alarm started screeching at 7 pm 9/1 (while I was in the shower!) she was alone in fixing that situation too. This "rogue" smoke alarm terrorized my eardrums and forced me to pick up all my stuff and move to another room a few doors down. But the clerk didn't hesitate in assigning me another room, and I was grateful for her fast, uncomplaining response in both the bedside lamp and fire alarm cases. My room was pretty clean on 8/21, but only the bathroom was clean on 9/1. The continental breakfast is minimal, with no fresh fruit, but who can expect much for such a low room rate? Conclusion: if you want to stay cheaply, the Super 8 is a good choice, but don't expect much more than a quiet room and a good shower.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
South Pittsburg
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Room and the bath were clean enough. Actually the bath was very clean and had what looked like a new tub and enclosure. The air conditioner worked quite well and cooled the room down to sixty six nicely. The room had two double beds with old mattresses but slept reasonably well. The room had one old square table with chair pushed under it pushed back in corner. The microwave looked ancient so I'm glad we didn't need it. The continental breakfast was a disappointment by 8:30 when we got there and didn't look like it had ever been anything to write home about. Very good number of cable channels and the TV had a good picture. This place offered the good, the bad, and the ugly. Depends on what you want overnight.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We were disappointed. The room smelled odd, the carpet was sticky, and our television image was fuzzy. The pillows were very, very thin.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family