“Red Roof Inn Winchester just a place to lay your head”

Red Roof Inn Winchester
Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed July 28, 2008

This hotel/motel is adjacent to the Interstate. Our room faced the interstate and there was a lot of road noise. I guess for the price, it was a value ($55.00) however there were some shortcomings. When we entered we noticed a stale smell although no smoke smell. It was a very small room with 2 full (not queen) beds. I had trouble sleeping on the bed however my teenage son did not...I think he could sleep on anything. The desk help was extremely helpful in suggesting places to eat. We chose the Mexican restaurant across the street which was very good...I guess another review for Los Toltecas. The breakfast in the morning had coffee, juice, doughnuts, waffles, toast, and muffins. On the plus side: cable tv, breakfast, & price. On the minus side: beds, some noise, room size, and (initially) the smell. The air conditioner was the typical type for a motel and functioned properly.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed July 25, 2008

Room was fair - newly decorated. The continential breakfast was a joke. Opened at 6AM. We went at 6:30 and no food was left. We tried to get someone to do something and the help was very poor. Finally someone brought out a bag of bagels - for a bunch of people. We asked about the pancakes and waffles they were suppose to have and she said that they were frozen. She truly couldn't have been more unfirendly. We had to go elsewhere for breakfast. Will never go to a Red Roof again.
KR Charlotte, NC

Reviewed June 28, 2008

After having read the reviews on tripadvisor for this hotel, we booked 1 night for our drive to Florida. What a disappointment. The beds were very uncomfortable and the towels felt like sandpaper. We skipped the continental breakfast which consisted of donuts and some bagels. I would have expected more from a Red Roof Inn. On our last trip we stayed at the Best Western Jackson Lee (which was rated lower) and found it to be a much better hotel.

Reviewed June 5, 2008

For $65/night, this motel was just about right for a quick trip to the area. It has been recently updated with modern furnishings and pseudo-upscale light fixtures, and good taste was used in chosing paint and materials - nicely done. Of course it's still a motel, with not so quiet guests in the parking lot right outside your door and the usual motel noises, but it was clean and friendly. Complimentary breakfast was minimal, with cereal, bagels and thawed-waffles (no yogurt or fruit), but it was fine for a quick start. It's on a busy commercial strip (right next to I-81 entrance/exit) so there are plenty of options if needed. Yeah it's a motel, but at least Red Roof put some thought and money into the upgrade - better than expected.

Reviewed May 9, 2008

This is like no Red Roof we ever stayed at--the rooms, bathrooms, beds, etc. look more like a 4 star hotel--very well done. We were on the road and used a Roomsaver coupon for a rate of $50 which was very reasonable compared to the prices in nearby places--the motel is right off I-81, so we asked for a room in the rear and on the right side of the motel, which seemed to be the quietest area and we heard no noise.

There is a continental breakfast consisting of cereal, bagles., doughnuts, juice, etc. Pretty basic, but good. There is a computer in the breakfast room for using the internet and a USA Today paper was also provided.

There are many motel options along this road--this is a very good choice.

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed April 12, 2008

Great place to stay. Easy access from the highway. Room was clean. Front desk staff was very friendly.

I prefer staying at hotels with interior corridors, and was surprised that I never heard any noise from outside at this location. They did offer a free breakfast, which I've never seen at a Red Roof Inn before. It consisted of bagels, cereal, coffee, juices, and dougnuts. I wasn't expecting it, so it was a nice bonus to get me on the road the next day.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I had not stayed in a Red Roof Inn before, so I was a little unsure what to expect. I was very pleasantly surprised by the Red Roof Inn in Winchester, VA. It was obvious that the place had been recently redecorated and the furniture had the look of a more upscale hotel. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful and the location was easy to get to, right off 81.

Red Roof Inn is still a motel, with flat beds, simple bedding, bath towels on the smaller side, and limited bathroom toiletries. That being said, some of the upgrades were impressive – hard wood floors and a heat lamp in the bathroom and a nice 27” TV in the bedroom. It would have been nice to have a fridge/microwave or even a coffee maker in the room. But the place has a nice breakfast area with a 24 hour coffee maker that makes a bunch of specialty coffees (mocha, vanilla latte, etc).

All in all, my husband and I were really impressed with the Inn, especially at a little over $50/night, and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple