“Very Happy, Pet-Friendly Stay”

Red Roof Inn Winchester
Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I were making a very long relocation trip from Texas to Connecticut (approx. 25 hours) with two cars, one carrying our dog.

After some research we decided to stay at three pet-friendly hotels that didn't charge a deposit/extra. The Red Roof Inn in Winchester was our second stop.

Having driven for about 10 hours for the second straight day, all we wanted was a place to stretch our legs and rest before the next day's drive. Honestly, of our three stops, this Red Roof Inn was our favorite.

First, there was lots and lots of outdoor space to walk our dog, let her use the restroom and for her to just relax outside after traveling in the car most of the day. There was also plenty of space in the room for us to set up her bed, crate, and food/water bowls without feeling cramped.

Our only (small) complaint is that while the room was updated overall, the bed could've used new sheets and a softer mattress.

But, I have to admit that the location to the highway was convenient since we got right back on it the next day, and it was near lots of food choices for dinner.

I even liked the fact that the rooms were open to the outside, since it provided us the easiest way to get our dog and stuff in and out of the room without much hassle.

We grabbed breakfast early the next day, which was adequate, and we were off to our next location. But, we would have gladly stayed an extra night or two if needed, considering the price was also extremely reasonable (approx. $60).

If you have a pet, don't hesitate to consider this Red Roof Inn. We were definitely happy with the choice.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KS_DB_14
There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Winchester

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Check in time is 3 p.m., but we found ourselves running ahead of schedule. Called the motel and spoke to Drew, explained we were going to arrive early and asked if we could check in at 1 p.m. There was no problem. Room was clean, smelled fresh, ac worked great, staff was extremely helpful and friendly. A great place to stay, rooms reasonable, restaurants close by and historic district easy to find.

Room Tip: Rooms 159 and 259 are enormous with one king bed. Had I known, I would have chosen the first floor...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Judy T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2014

Thanks for your wonderful feedback. We love to hear from our guests and we hope to see you soon.

Judy

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We needed a dog friendly hotel, and this one fit the bill nicely. No added pet fee. Priced lower than many other hotels in the area. The rooms were very nice. Actually nicer than the resort hotel we stayed in earlier in the week for 3x the money. My only concern was not with the hotel - but with fellow dog owners. Some of us sometimes NEED to travel with canines. Those of you NOT SCOOPING THE POOP and ruining things for everyone. Hotels like this are a gem. Treat it as such and clean up.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Playswdogs
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The workers were friendly and pleasant. The room was clean. The bathroom was clean. Extra towels, shampoo and bars of soap were provided. The room even had a hairdryer. The internet is not password protected and it is by fat the fastest internet I've gotten at a Red Roof Inn, here are the http://speedtest.net results (http://www.speedtest.net…). One thing to note is that this Inn has TONS of big dogs. Just driving through the parking lot, we saw at least 10-15 large dogs. There was a dog show that weekend.

The spring bed was alright. Definitely not the best bed I've slept in. The other Red Roof Inns had better beds. If they were spring beds, couldn't feel the springs at all. Could feel the springs over here.

They have a decent sized area for you to eat the continental breakfast. They use Styrofoam bowls and plates. They had muffins, bagels, cereal, oatmeal, apples, orange and apple juice, hot water, coffee, and waffles. It's nothing fancy, just good enough to fill up your stomach before going on a hike =P

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mystiqz
Reviewed August 29, 2013

relatively easy access from I-81. Helpful, friendly front desk staff. My only complaint was a peculiar odor somewhere around our room (might just have been a trash can near by
pet friendly, short list of rules posted at the front desk, all of which are very reasonable. I'd come back if i was in the area again

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jmelair
Judy T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Thanks for your kind words. We hope to see you in future travel.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have stayed at this Red Roof location before and have always had a positive experience. Housekeeping did a great job keeping my room tidy. The front desk staff was has happy to go out of their way to ensure everything was up to my standards. I even received a phone call shortly after entering my room to ensure everything worked and that I was happy with the room. It's rare that I receive calls like that. I would certainly stay at this location again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Thanks for your kind words about our staff members. I'm very glad to hear that you really enjoyed your stay. Please give us another chance in the future to serve you again. Thanks very much.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

When we checked in, I was happy the room wasn't worse.
(Dog hair here and there, corners not vacuumed,
filthy mirrors, stains in the tub...ok...tried not to be too fussy for the price.)
When we tried the bed--it was hard, horrid, and felt like lying
on box springs. What the ?
IMMEDIATELY went to check out & was told NO REFUND,
even for the 2nd nite we had reserved.
Later via e-mail attempting to get a refund was told we
stayed the entire night so tough--still: NO REFUND.
So they not only have a lousy place, the desk clerk messes
up the records and says I stayed one night when I didn't?
What? The toilet was broken also and continued to run--
bad to worse experience. Best Western is about the same
cost (down the street) and 100% better!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cls265UpstateNy

I'm very sorry to hear that you were not able to enjoy your stay with us. I want to let you know that recently we have made some changes in our housekeeping policies and we are doing everything we can to ensure that our guest don't run into any problems during their stay. I would like to encourage you to read our recent reviews on hotels.com or expedia.com to see that we have better reviews than best westren down the street from us. I hope you give us another chance in the future to earn your business back. Thanks.