“Clean room but dorm like”
Review of Motel 6 Winchester

Motel 6 Winchester
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We checked in at 9:30 PM on 8/28/13. We asked the front desk clerk where we could go for breakfast in the morning. Her response was "I don't know. I don't live around here. You can drive down the road in either direction and I'm sure you'll find some place to eat". Well, that's a big help. What would it take to type up a list and have this on the counter, or even in a picture frame, so people could see it. When you don't know the area, this would be very helpful.

Next morning, I went to take a shower and there was no hot water, and I mean none. I called the front desk to report it. Because I had an appointment to go to, I washed my hair in cold water, but there was no way I could take a cold shower. After 20 minutes, the front desk called to say I should have hot water again. Told her it's too late for me as I had to get dressed. They did take 25% off our stay, so at least it was something.

Floors were a laminated flooring and the room echoed. The bed was very comfortable and the bedding was new. For the price of the room and since we were only staying for one night, it was OK.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

The room was clean. We liked that it had no rugs and everything was visible. No bar of soap was quite surprising and towels were rough. Noise from neighbors all night setting car alarms and slamming depots.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We had a king-size bed room close to the reception facing the main street. The room itself has been renovated and, everything was as described on their website. There was a fridge and microwave as well. The only flaw we found was no shampoo. There was complimentary coffee in the morning but we didn't try. The location was a short drive from fast food and restaurant choices and shopping plazas. It's a good deal if you book early online.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I really disliked this motel and I have to admit that this is the first time TripAdvisor reviews have failed me in quite a few years. But what really turned me off about this motel is the staff. Here's the story.

My wife is really particular about her pillows. Knowing that Motel 6 is no Ritz Carlton, she brought her goose down pillow with her. Next day, as soon as she realized that she forgot the pillow in the room at Motel 6, we called the motel to ask if the housekeeping found it. The person on the phone said he received no notes from the housekeeping about about a found pillow. He took our number and promised to call back after speaking with the head housekeeper. Needless to say, that he did not call me. I phoned the motel twice more over the next two days and spoke with two other people at the front desk, who took my phone number and promised to call me back. Of course, neither of them bothered to do so.

So, what's the take-home message of this story? Can I believe that the housekeeping mistook the pillow for the motel property? Hardly, because the pillow was a different size (king) and color (green), both of which are very different from what is used by the motel. Can I believe that the housekeepers decided to keep the pillow for themselves? Very much so, because the pillow was very nice, soft, and expensive. And what about the three members of the front desk staff who spoke with me and never called back? I guess, it's well above their pay grade to care about a situation like this. Why would they care about their guests if they are not going to come back? I do not think that any reasonable person who made a mistake of staying at this motel once would ever come back there again.

1  Thank stanberg
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I haven't stayed at a motel 6 in many years, but did so since we were traveling with our two dogs. Check in was pleasant, the front desk clerk seemed a little annoyed he didn't know about the dogs in advance but it was ok. He gave us a spacious king room that was in the same building as the office. It had indoor corridor but our room was right at the end which was great. Clean, quite and very simple. Just wait we needed for one night. I didn't except much for 54.00. I'm a travel agent and know the price of rooms and what you get. I thought it was a good bargain considering no pet deposits or fees which other hotels charge. I would stay here again and I'm pretty picky..

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank travelagent15
Reviewed August 7, 2013

So some reviewers said that the place looks new... Yes, it has been renovated, but what a terrible job they have done. Concrete on the sidewalks is crumbling. Mirrors in the room are crooked. The vinyl floor is so uneven, you can use it as a slide. There is no shampoo in the bathroom. The mattresses are probably the worst I've ever slept on. The room was non-smoking, but the a/c unit was sucking in the air that reeked of smoke, although I did not see anyone smoking outside. And did I mention the lawn? It's covered with dog poop (the motel is pet-friendly). Disgusting!!!

And then there's the staff. The gentleman at the front desk in the evening was quite nice, but his colleague in the morning was an entirely different story. As I came in to return the keycards, he and his friends/relatives were speaking their native language and did not acknowledge me when I dropped off the cards. They did not greet me as I said hi/bye although they all made eye contact with me. Clearly, they didn't care very much about their guests.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank JDoppler13
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The worst, least inviting motel we have stayed at in decades. Absolutely no amenities in the room, except one bar of soap. No tissues, no coffee, no nothing.Not a single picture on walls. Refrig wasn't even plugged in. Two very hard plastic chairs, no place to put suitcases except on floor. Linoleum floor. We drove around the Motel 6 once trying to find the office, and thought it was closed. Very grim office. The most pleasant thing I could say about the motel clerk was that he was not rude.When asked if there was a swimming pool, his answer was "I wish". Coffee only served in the morning in the office, 100 yards from our room. My family agreed that Tom Bodeck can turn the light off for us. Never again at Motel 6. Certainly never again at Winchester, VA Motel 6.

Room Tip: Go to the next motel in town!