“Beware of thieving housekeeping and front desk staff who do not care”
Review of Motel 6 Winchester

Motel 6 Winchester
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Hartford, Connecticut
“Beware of thieving housekeeping and front desk staff who do not care”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I really disliked this motel and I have to admit that this is the first time TripAdvisor reviews have failed me in quite a few years. But what really turned me off about this motel is the staff. Here's the story.

My wife is really particular about her pillows. Knowing that Motel 6 is no Ritz Carlton, she brought her goose down pillow with her. Next day, as soon as she realized that she forgot the pillow in the room at Motel 6, we called the motel to ask if the housekeeping found it. The person on the phone said he received no notes from the housekeeping about about a found pillow. He took our number and promised to call back after speaking with the head housekeeper. Needless to say, that he did not call me. I phoned the motel twice more over the next two days and spoke with two other people at the front desk, who took my phone number and promised to call me back. Of course, neither of them bothered to do so.

So, what's the take-home message of this story? Can I believe that the housekeeping mistook the pillow for the motel property? Hardly, because the pillow was a different size (king) and color (green), both of which are very different from what is used by the motel. Can I believe that the housekeepers decided to keep the pillow for themselves? Very much so, because the pillow was very nice, soft, and expensive. And what about the three members of the front desk staff who spoke with me and never called back? I guess, it's well above their pay grade to care about a situation like this. Why would they care about their guests if they are not going to come back? I do not think that any reasonable person who made a mistake of staying at this motel once would ever come back there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank stanberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
philly
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I haven't stayed at a motel 6 in many years, but did so since we were traveling with our two dogs. Check in was pleasant, the front desk clerk seemed a little annoyed he didn't know about the dogs in advance but it was ok. He gave us a spacious king room that was in the same building as the office. It had indoor corridor but our room was right at the end which was great. Clean, quite and very simple. Just wait we needed for one night. I didn't except much for 54.00. I'm a travel agent and know the price of rooms and what you get. I thought it was a good bargain considering no pet deposits or fees which other hotels charge. I would stay here again and I'm pretty picky..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank travelagent15
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 7, 2013

So some reviewers said that the place looks new... Yes, it has been renovated, but what a terrible job they have done. Concrete on the sidewalks is crumbling. Mirrors in the room are crooked. The vinyl floor is so uneven, you can use it as a slide. There is no shampoo in the bathroom. The mattresses are probably the worst I've ever slept on. The room was non-smoking, but the a/c unit was sucking in the air that reeked of smoke, although I did not see anyone smoking outside. And did I mention the lawn? It's covered with dog poop (the motel is pet-friendly). Disgusting!!!

And then there's the staff. The gentleman at the front desk in the evening was quite nice, but his colleague in the morning was an entirely different story. As I came in to return the keycards, he and his friends/relatives were speaking their native language and did not acknowledge me when I dropped off the cards. They did not greet me as I said hi/bye although they all made eye contact with me. Clearly, they didn't care very much about their guests.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank JDoppler13

Travelers are raving about these Winchester hotels

Tiger, GA
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The worst, least inviting motel we have stayed at in decades. Absolutely no amenities in the room, except one bar of soap. No tissues, no coffee, no nothing.Not a single picture on walls. Refrig wasn't even plugged in. Two very hard plastic chairs, no place to put suitcases except on floor. Linoleum floor. We drove around the Motel 6 once trying to find the office, and thought it was closed. Very grim office. The most pleasant thing I could say about the motel clerk was that he was not rude.When asked if there was a swimming pool, his answer was "I wish". Coffee only served in the morning in the office, 100 yards from our room. My family agreed that Tom Bodeck can turn the light off for us. Never again at Motel 6. Certainly never again at Winchester, VA Motel 6.

Room Tip: Go to the next motel in town!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gunnvilla
Fleetwood, North Carolina
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We called for a room at the last min (10.00 more than online rates..oh well). Loved the modern decor. When found about a half inch of water and 3 feet wide water puddle in our room coming from the refrigerator and going under the bed. We were so tired that we just threw a towel over it (11pm, two young children). All night we heard loud noises and were awaken several times. It sounded as if the renovations were being done at night. Our toddler woke up each time. Maybe it would have been better in a different room, under different circumstances but in our situation, we would have been better off trying to make the last leg of the trip. Woke up tired and to more water accumulating on the floor.

On a more positive note, I did like the firm mattress. Just didn't get to sleep much on it due to the loud bangs.

Room Tip: We had room 115 on the back, not sure if we just had loud neighbors or if there was construction goi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ritahoffm
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

The modern decor of the room was a nice change. Staff was extremely pleasant considering we checked in at 3:00am. Room was clean. Bed was extremely comfortable. Room was spacious. Liked laminent floor!!! Had some difficulties regulating water temperature in shower.

• Stayed July 2013
Greer, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2013

On July 6th, we found this motel on the hotel magazine at the Virginia welcome center. We called to see if they had a room available and they did. This motel is under complete renovation and we were doubtful as we drove up with all the workers gear and equipment around. The desk clerk was extremely helpful in recommending a choice of restaurants (see review of I J Canns American Grill).
The room was a complete surprise with the scent of a new home. Everything was new and clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and I had the feeling I was one of the first to use the shower as the bathroom was immaculate. The exterior doors are locked after 11 PM to ensure security although the area was quite upscale and safe.
I had the best nights sleep of the entire trip.

Room Tip: I don't think they have a bad room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple