“The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly”

Travelodge Winchester
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed June 7, 2012

On my drive home I was thinking about this review (not much to do on a car ride home alone) and wondered how a hotel that was bad at everything I really needed could really be that good? This hotel is very strange and have never experienced a hotel that both ticked me off to no end and also made me feel right at home.

The lobby is very clean, people at the desk were very nice and check-in/check-out was quick. It started off great! Then I get to my room, which was all the way at the end of the hotel, closest to the Steakhouse that is right next door. I get into the room and it smells like any other hotel would smell, not great but not smoky at least.

At the end of a long drive I like to relax for a bit before doing anything else and check the news on the internet. This is where "ugly" showed his nasty self. The internet connection was almost non-existent. I tried for an hour to get connected and gave up. This is one of three things I ask for no matter what the cost of the hotel might be: Good internet connection, a clean room, and a fridge. I called to the front desk and was told that the connection was working properly and that I should turn my computer off and turn it back on. Obviously this gentleman had no idea that I work on networking systems for a living and tried to blow smoke up my butt because his hotel's network was cheaper than my home network. I gave up for the night. The next day, just to try it out, I went into the parking lot to try and connect, and guess what? IT CONNECTED! Over an hour of trying INSIDE the room would not connect me, but I got a connection in the parking lot and was able to hold it until I got back to the room.

But the misery was just starting. I got back to the room, set the computer on the desk, and the connection dropped. There was no way the connection would only hold in ONE part of the room, right? Well, that is what happened! As you can see from one of the photo's I have attached I had to use the computer right next to the bathroom which is right next to the door for the room. I have no idea if I ticked anyone off with late night Skype conversations, but if I did I am very sorry.

Now to the good! The bed was wonderful, although the pillows felt more like what you would make a brick pizza oven out of than something you would want to sleep on. Never the less, I always bring my own pillows so I didn't have a problem. The room was very clean for a travelodge, which surprised me in a good way.

Now the bad! While there are times I will nit pick on some things in a room, the curtain for the window should not be right over the vent for the air conditioner. You have two choices: Pull the curtain back to get maximum air release in the room or pull it closed and hope for the best.

While I would not recommend this place if you have to stay more than one night, one night MIGHT not tick you off so bad. Having said that, get a room closer to the center of the hotel for maximum internet connection. Overall I cannot complain all that much but number one on my list of HAVE TO HAVE in a hotel is a good internet connection and no other Travelodge I ever stayed in ever had such a poor connection. Spend the extra money per night and stay down the street if there for more than one night, you will be thankful you did!

Room Tip: Closer to the center of the hotel, near lobby which is probably where their wi-fi is coming from.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank swd112083

Reviewed May 23, 2012

I experienced an overnight stay at this Travelodge on May 17, 2012. On the next day I started itching all over my arms, legs, neck and various places. Soon I was coved with bite marks in all those areas. Between the itching and burning I could not sleep and was so stressed out. Soon to be told by many people I had been biten by bedbugs. I do not wish this on my worst enemy. I spoke to the manager at this hotel and he didn't want to hear anything I had to say. All he wanted to know was my room number. Of course I didn't give it to him as he wasn't interested in me. He was very rude and nasty at the 1st words I spoke and soon after hung up on me without hearing anything I was trying to say. I have notified Hotelsone.com whom the room was reserved by. They spoke to the manager and he refused to give a refund. So I went 1 step further and notified the Health Dept. at 540-722-3470 and spoke with Donna whom is pursuing this problem. I encourage everyone that has the same results from this hotel to call Donna. She is very understanding. I am currently waiting to her from her.

Room Tip: Beware of bedbugs, dirty ice buckets, and coffee pots with stale water from who knows when.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We spent 3 nights, 2 days at the Travelodge in Winchester Va. Very satisfied with the room. It was neat and clean. We also had a refrig and microwave which came in handy. The beds were very comfortable. They offered a breakfast but we never seemed to get up intime for it. It was a good location for us. Restaurants were nearby. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Booked this room months in advance for the convenience to Shenandoah University Graduation. TripAdvisor reviews were mixed...many Excellent. Well let me set you straight...the room was not clean or maintained...It is obvious the owner is not putting a dime back into this hotel. We were stuck because the town was full with families up for graduation...WISH I had stayed at ALOFT just up the road. Beautiful accommodations and many extras...I would have gladly paid $40 more instead sleeping in "below camping conditions" at the Travelodge...

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 1, 2012

The rooms were clean and fresh. While the furniture was limited, and no fridge or microwave, nothing extra was really necessary. The hotel is older, but seems to be cared for. Noise from the vending machines was a little distracting in the hall, but didn't bother us at night. Our traveling companions are discriminating and didn't have anything negative at all to say about the property (they turned down rooms at a Howard Johnson and Days Inn on the return trip for example). The front desk staff attended to every request (including one to be located on the side of the hotel away from the highway) although that appeared to be unnecessary as the highway is naturally shielded from the hotel and isn't audible from the rooms. The complimentary breakfast was the best we have had lately, including French Toast and hard boiled eggs on request. It was well attended when we were there, and was in a bright and pleasant location. Staff replenished bread, buns, squares etc. as required. Juice, coffee and milk were all available. Only problem was finding a seat right away as quite a few people were enjoying their breakfast then. The property is really close to a steak house, IHop and a Cracker Barrel, so finding an evening meal shouldn't be a big problem. It's also across the street from a large mall.

For an overnight on a long trip we found the experience very good overall - particularly the helpfulness of the desk staff.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 199Gerry
Reviewed May 1, 2012

The price was good. I don't know what rooms the others stayed in, but mine was clean. The heater smelled like something was burning, but really didn't need it. I mentioned it to the desk clerk and the maintenance man was there and said he would take care of it. I've stayed at the Super 8 and that place was dirty and smelled like an ashtray. Red Roof wasn't much better and hard to get in and out from the highway. Of course, Travelodge isn't a 5 star hotel, but if that is what you want, go to one and pay the price. I found this place to be clean and a good place to stay for the price. And I did a lot of research on the web. I actually stayed there twice in one week, once on my way south and the other on my way back home. Both times, the room was just fine.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I've stayed here once every year on my way home from down south for the last 8 years and the place just keeps getting worse - will look for someplace else next year. This year, the first time I used the bathroom, the toilet leaked all over the floor - they had to put me in another room.
The place is old and the rooms are showing their age (carpet, AC, tile, tub, etc.)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo