“Helpful staff, nice amenities”

Holiday Inn Winchester Southeast-Historic Gateway
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Caracas, Venezuela
“Helpful staff, nice amenities”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

After a stay two years ago at a bad Holiday Inn, I had sworn off this chain and stayed here only because I was part of a group and had the reservations made for me. This stay showed me that Holiday Inns can be a good deal - thanks especially to the staff here. The hotel had clean and spacious room, and included a small frig and microwave in the room. I had no problems with the toiletries or shower (as a different poster mentioned). The fitness room is decent - one each of a tread mill, elliptical and recumbent bike, as well as some weight machines. Towels available in the fitness room. There was also a small pool, although I didn't use it. I had several requests and the staff, specifically Debbie, were fabulous in getting things in place for me. I also overheard a phone call Debbie received from another guest who couldn't figure out how to get the in-room coffee maker to work. After an explanation, the person still didn't understand, so Debbie offered to go up to the room to show him how to do it. That's some personalized service. The hotel is a few blocks from a small shopping center that has a Food Lion, dollar store, and discount clothing shop. Several casual restaurants are also in walking distance (IHOP, Golden Corral), as is a COSTCO. There is no sidewalk directly outside the hotel, although there is a path and, about a block later, a sidewalk. I didn't use the hotel restaurant, but others in my group did. They gave a thumbs up to the food, although said the service was slow, which could be a problem if you need to leave early. Restaurant opens at 6 a.m. I would definitely return to this hotel. Free wi-fi access in your room, and two computers in the lobby you can also use. It has restored good feelings about the Holiday Inn chain.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for seven nights and was completely blown away. The hotel's building and layout looks much nicer than your standard Holiday Inn. What truly made this stay five stars was the incredible friendly staff. Whenever I saw the reservations representatives they always had a smile on their face and they were always ready and willing to help. The accommodations they made in terms of our rooms and the conference space for our event was above and beyond. I have stayed at Sheraton hotels, Courtyard by Marriott hotels, Hiltons and Hyatt hotels, and none compare to the overall warm and positive energy of the staff at this Holiday Inn.

if you are in the Winchester, Virginia area there is no other option but this hotel. I promise you your stay will be amazing. Ask for Rainee! She made everything happen and will accommodate even the biggest groups. She is very friendly, accommodating and makes you feel at ease.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Heather P, Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester Southeast-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a gracious review of our hotel; we are very appreciative! I am delighted to know that you had a great experience while staying with us. Rainee, our Director of Sales, is wonderful at making each group’s stay customized to their needs and I will certainly forward your review to her! We are happy that you chose to stay with us and we hope that you will continue to stay with us if you are ever in the area again!
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012

A modern and well run Holiday Inn. Reception staff proved a warm welcome and are very responsive to requests. Rooms are perhaps a little older (traditional HInn) in style than the lobby and lounge areas but perfectly good. Free wireless internet access with very simple log-in that worked every time. Business centre in lobby with printing facility. Hotel has a small but pleasant pool and a fitness room. Breakfast OK but didn't eat dinner in the hotel. Great for access to downtown Winchester and a short drive to Front Royal and onwards to the Shenandoah NP. Chose this Holiday Inn over the one at Front Royal due to newness. Happy to recommend - lots of positives.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Heather P, Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester Southeast-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write such a positive review! It is wonderful to read that you had an excellent experience while staying with us and we appreciate that you chose us over other options. The new modern look that Holiday Inn has designed has been really well received by guests, and it great to know that it makes a difference! I hope that you will stay with us again the next time you visit the Shenandoah Valley!
North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here after touring the beautiful Historic Districtional Park in town and on our way to Shenandoah National Park. The hotel was clean, clean, clean and a great stay for us. The room was large, very comfortable and the hotel was well maintained.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ann B
Thank you for staying with us! I am so proud of our housekeeping staff for keeping our rooms always looking fresh and clean! I will certainly let the department know that their great efforts don’t go unappreciated. I hope that you enjoyed your visit through the Shenandoah Valley and that you will continue to come back and visit!
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We take a trip to Winchester about two to three times a year. We have always stayed at another hotel, a trendy one that starts with the letter "A", right off the interstate. It was completely booked this time, so we decided to stay at this Holiday Inn.
When we checked in, we were given a room on the second floor. I immediately opened the curtains, and the view was poor. We were right on top of the roof to the entrance of the hotel, and the a/c units for the hotel were directly to the right of our window. I went downstairs and asked to be moved. The front desk lady, Debbie, was so incredibly nice about it. She gave us options, asking if we wanted a city view or a mountain view (mountain, every time). We were placed on the top floor, corner room, which gave us windows on each side. The view was incredible!
The bed was awesome, so comfortable. There were plenty of pillows. The shower was huge, and the water pressure was strong with plenty of hot water.
The pool was clean clean clean. I tend to get grossed out at hotel pools, but this one was like swimming at home, no worries. The gym was spacious as well as clean and chilly, which is what you want in a gym.
We went to Charlestown to gamble and got back at 1AM. There was a man looking for a luggage cart, but couldn't find one. There are three luggage carts for the entire hotel, and of course there are always super ignorant people who hoard them in their rooms all night so that they don't have to make the extra trip downstairs in the morning (I hate those people). The front desk clerk that night offered to help him take his luggage up to his room, which I thought was nice, considering she could've just said "Sorry, do t know what to tell you".
We will never, ever stay anywhere else when we return to Winchester.

• Stayed August 2012
Heather P, Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester Southeast-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us and for writing such a nice review! I am happy to know that Debbie was able to accommodate you with a better room view and I will let her know of the job well done. We try to make our guests feel as comfortable as you would be at home and it’s wonderful that you were able to experience that while staying here. We look forward to having you stay with us again!
Long Island, NY
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This brief stop was an overnight stay on our way from TN back to NY. We just wanted a nice and clean stay in a good area right off the highway and got SO MUCH MORE! The room was IMMACULATE, the bed was huge and COMFY, the pillows were perfect, the bathroom was beautiful and the food from the restaurant was yummy! We were even able to put our son in his pack and play to sleep and used the closet and bathroom door as a barrier from our side of the room so he had his own little dark, quiet sleeping area while we had dinner and watched t.v. (good thinking by my hubby!). Kind of wished we stayed here longer because it was such a beautiful hotel and room! We didn't want to leave to get back on the road! We also wished we stayed at this hotel on our way TO Tennessee since our choice of another chain's hotel was more money AND left us with bad back pain (and it cost more than this stay!). Oh - the breakfast here was good, too. Wish we could have experienced the pool, but we didn't have time. We had one problem with a non-working refrigerator in our room upon arrival, which we needed for the baby's bottles, and the staff acted so quickly to bring us a working fridge, so the problem became a non-issue. I would DEFINITELY recommend this hotel and am saving it on our car's GPS so we'll stay next time we head west! :-) Other hotels should learn from this one as to what amenities to provide for a guest to be comfortable (like an amazing BED!). Good job, Holiday Inn! You gained a frequent guest in me!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Heather P, Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester Southeast-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Your remarks about our hotel were so very kind and sincere—thank you! Your husband’s idea for your son’s sleeping area was genius, and I’m glad that everyone could have an enjoyable stay. I will thank our staff for their prompt response to your problem and I am glad that it was quickly resolved! Thank you for giving us a try, and I hope that you will continue to remember us when you are traveling through Winchester!
illinois
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is by far the best hotel I have visited. We were in need of a room on very short notice and were so happy that this hotel was able to get us in our room immediately. The staff is very courteous and helpful.
The hotel is beautiful and very well maintained. Our room was super clean, very spacious, and the beds are very comfortable. I love the fact that the coffee pot is located on the counter top above the fridge (most hotels keep their coffee pots in the bathroom .... yuck!) We were also surprised by the wide variety of cable channels available ... many more than other hotels I have visited. The pool was clean and comfortable, the kids really enjoyed it. Another plus ... kids eat free in the hotel's restaurant.
The location of the hotel is right off 81, near a wide variety of restaurants, gas stations and shopping.
We are very pleased with this hotel and it will be our choice when returning to the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review of hotel and I am so happy that you were pleased with your stay! We take Holiday Inn’s goal of being a great hotel that guests love, and this affirms us that we are on the right track! I must admit that I’ve never understood the coffee pot in the bathroom either and I love that we have a counter for the coffee pot and microwave to be altogether with the mini-fridge, too! We actually have the DirecTV Residential Experience in all of our rooms which allow guests to enjoy a variety of channels! It is a new feature that our owners decided to add when we decided to go completely HD earlier this year. Thank you for staying with us and I hope you will come back the next time you visit Winchester!