“I'd Think Twice before Returning There”
Review of Opus 9 Steakhouse

Opus 9 Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Opus 9 Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 393 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Courthouse Rd
Description: located in the NewTown area of Williamsburg, VA
Wilmington, Delaware
“I'd Think Twice before Returning There”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The experience at Opus 9 started out good but went down-hill very fast. We had the Sunday night special fixed price surf and turf dinner. Our steaks were not cooked the way we ordered them, but my wife and I swapped steaks and settled for that. However our steaks were not hot and my crab cake was lukewarm. Our server was very chatty and when another couple was seated nearby, he spent long periods of time catering to them, which made our service poor. In the end, I went to the hostess to wait for our check, as the waiter was again in a long conversation with another patron. I'd think twice about returning there.

4 Thank tlscorpio
Lewis_Inc, Guest Relations Manager at Opus 9 Steakhouse, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
At Opus 9, we never wish for a guest to leave unhappy with their experience. We appreciate when a guest informs us of any situation, certainly one as easily remedied as this, when they are here dining with us. It is also a rarity for us to do anything other than offer our most sincere apologies on the occasion that a guests expectations are not exceeded. I am glad to note that our manager did provide you a complimentary wine flight when you dined. We welcome reviews on Trip Advisor, and make improvements in our business whenever needed. However, when the facts mentioned in a review on such a public forum do not coincide with those we recall, we do feel the need to comment accordingly.

We are indeed sorry if your steaks were not prepared exactly as you wished. This is why every guest is asked to cut into their steak (while the server shines a light on the tender center) so that we can ensure each guest has just what they prefer in their steak temperature. We recognize that not every guest will feel that their version of medium-rare is the industry standard. To mitigate that variance, we happily offer this service. If a steak is not just as one wishes, we are happy to replace it. We never wish for a guest to have a steak that is not their preference.

We noted that you did not mention in your review that you spoke to the guests at the table nearest yours (some of our regulars) and made them feel that their behavior was rude as it was monopolizing the attention of your server. I understand that they apologized to you. We are sorry that you will not be returning to Opus 9, but in light of this kind of confrontation, and in the interest of peaceful dining of our guests, this is perhaps for the best.

We did also offer our apologies to the guests next to you, and they were very gracious about your notes to them as well.

Best to You,
Jessica Smith
Director of Sales & Marketing

Newmarket, United Kingdom
“Not value for money”
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Turned up without a booking and we're told the only tables were in the bar area which was fine. What they didn't say was we could have a bar menu also. Very dark so difficult to read the menu. Expensive for what we had. The girl behind the bar seemed to do most of the work.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank 243MaryB
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
“just plane awesome”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

best steak in a long time excellant everything! went there for a birthday celebration. very accommodating

Williamsburg, Virginia
“Birthday Lunch!”
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

Had a very special birthday lunch with my daughter. Our waiter, Jose', provided excellent service and the food was outstanding! I'd highly recommend the place and will definitely return for another visit. You must try this place!

Detroit, Michigan
“Superb Upscale Dining”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My spouse and I had a wonderful meal on Oct 25 at this Williamsburg institution. It was my first time there and reminded me very much of Morton's, and I say that as a compliment. We both had filet mignon, both of which were prepared perfectly and were so tender they could have been cut with a fork. The side wishes were also prepared nicely, though our calimari and shrimp cocktail appetizers were merely average. Dessert however, was five-star. My spouse ordered the "Beethoven's Favorite," which is described as "dense rich Cake of Chocolate-Hazelnut Mousse with Toasted Hazelnuts." She claimed it might have been the finest piece of chocolate cake she's ever had. Service was like-wise first class; very attentive but not over bearing. We will definitely return.

• Visited October 2013

Been to Opus 9 Steakhouse? Share your experiences!