Fife & Drum Inn
The Historic Powhatan Resort(Williamsburg)
$100
  • Pool
Rodeway Inn & Suites(Williamsburg)
$60
$59
$53
Official Website
Good 3.5/5
Quality Inn & Suites(Williamsburg)
$42
Bassett Motel(Williamsburg)
$58
$48
Good 3.5/5
All reviewsb bcasserolecolonial williamsburgham biscuitscommon roomchef's kitchenperfect locationwashington roomcollege of william and marybreakfast was deliciousmerchant squarewithin walking distancetwo blocksblue talonfat canarywalked everywhereplace to stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The fife and Drum is a lovely b&b. Great location, shops and restaurants are outside your door. The location is perfect everything is walking distance, even colonial williamsburg. The rooms are nice, we stayed in the conservancy room, perfect for couples, with its own bathroom and shower and a romantic old fashioned tub in the room. The room was clean noting on what another person said the place is not "worn" by the way. There is fresh baked cookies and lemonade out all day. Hot water for tea, and also a bowl of snacks for you (chips,pretzels,crackers). Breakfast is served buffet style from 8-9. And all three days me and my boyfriend stayed the breakfast was delicious! Fresh fruit, bacon, real southern biscuits (not frozen like the other person said in a review you would know this if you knew a good biscuit. very good!) some had ham in them. Also we had some sort of blueberry french toast, another morning breakfast quiche. I loved breakfast, very delicious!

Bill and Sharon are VERY friendly and comforting. You feel at home, they have true southern hospitality. They also have lots of knowledge of the history and things to see and do. Just ask them they are very helpful.

Also check out there place to eat next door called retros, themed 50-60s style. Great burgers, hot dogs, fries and more, and quick!

My boyfriend and I had no complaints, we enjoyed our stay overall. We have no complaints if your looking for a great stay this is the place. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Samantha P
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We would definitely recommend the Fife and Drum Inn! We loved the location, car stayed parked because we could walk to Colonial Williamsburg( one block away). Plenty of shops and restaurants right outside your door. We stayed in the Restoration Suite and it was perfect for my husband and I in one room and my adult daughter in the other small room. The suite was small but cozy, very nice linens and the bathroom was very clean. Great breakfast and there always seemed to be a plate of cookies and a pitcher of lemonade in the commons area which my daughter loved. Looking forward to going back for a winter get away weekend!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Our second stay. One block from entrance to Colonial Williamsburg and many excellent restaurants. Innkeeper Billy Scruggs is delightful knowledgeable and helpful. Breakfast is plentiful and delicious.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Fife and Drum Inn has very nice rooms. My husband and I stayed in the George Washington room and his mother was in the William and Mary Room. I had picked these two rooms based on website pictures and it turned out that the W&M room has a handicapped bathroom (which I never saw advertised on the website) that was nice for peace of mind. You may want to test your shower in advance, however. Mine was lukewarm and I was told later that could have been adjusted easily. However, I did not know there was a problem (sink had nice and hot water) until I was in the middle of my shower - a bit late.

Billy arranged for us to have dinners at two of the very popular historical taverns. That was very helpful. I will say the sheets were so cozy and soft that it was difficult to get out of bed!

The inn is very convenient if you want to walk around the restored area. Rhonda was fabulous! Be aware that there is a straight flight of stairs up (about 19 steps and they are high) from the street to the inn proper.

Room Tip: This place is nice but also all about location, location, location - that's why you pay what you do I think.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Patricia M
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Just one block off Duke of Gloucester Street, the Fife and Drum is perfect for vacations where you do not want to drive. Park your car in their lot (one block away) and you do not need it until you leave. Colonial Williamsburg is just a stroll away, William and Mary is one block away and food and shopping is all around you. The Scruggs are fabulous hosts and their inn is a delight (the stairs going up are steep but worth the climb - the inn is on the second floor). Billing and Sharon are great resources for what is going on and what you need might want to see. Each room is different so check out the website to pick the room you want. Reservations are easy.

Room Tip: The rooms away from Price George Street are quieter but the early morning noise of service trucks is not that bad if you pick a room facing the streets. The suites are generally the quieter rooms but even the non-suite rooms have more than enough room to be comfortable.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends