“Family Now”

Ranked #2 of 21 Williamsburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Family Now”
Reviewed September 19, 2005

Staying at Cedars B&B with Bob and Grace as hosts was a memorable experience. Grace insures your are made to feel special. Bob adds the element of humor. Both together insure your stay is a great experience where you most certainly leave wanting to re-visit.

Thank you both. As Tony would say, your family now.

Best,
Aprile

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Reviewed September 16, 2005

A+!!

My family stayed at The Cedars B&B for my graduation weekend at William & Mary. The graduation party was held in the gazebo and large stone patio. All of my guests (ranging in age from 2 to 65) were able to mingle, relax, and have a good time. It was fantastic! The food was delicious. The Cedars planned and perfected each detail, and I didn't have much to worry about at all. Perhaps more importantly, though, the staff made us all feel like family. I felt very welcomed and pampered. Bob's sense of humor kept us all laughing. This attention to detail and the Tubbs' efforts to make our stay an unforgettable experience also showed in the rooms, which were decorated tastefully (each had its own "personality") and immaculately clean. Breakfasts were indeed gourmet and offered many choices, and Ruth (she's such an incredible cook that when she came upstairs to meet the guests, we clapped) even offered to make individual dishes. My family and I made some wonderful memories at the Cedars, and I definitely plan on going back.

• Stayed May 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
california
Reviewed September 4, 2005

Delightful. The owner goes out of his way to make you feel at home. The room was beautiful, and the food was some of the best so far. Also, the innkeeper has a surprise for each of the guests. It is a wonderful memory to take home. Bravo!

2 Thank class66
Manassas, VA
Reviewed September 4, 2005

I decided to go to Williamsburg for Labor Day weekend 2005. After consulting the TA B&B list for Williamsburg, I narrowed my choices and chose a room at The Cedars.
I was in one of the first floor rooms, the George Washington Suite, which is on the first floor, right by the front door and faces the street. It has a very nice sitting area which is nice to sit down and relax and read. I was slightly concerned about street noise, hallway noise and people coming and going from the Inn at all hours, however that wasn't an issue at all. The only issue was the outside lights that light up the property 24 hours a day. The room has blinds in the sitting area and a set if drapes on the window in front of the bed. The draps and the blinds do nothing to keep the light out, it literally is like dawn in the room. (I did mention this to the owner the next morning at breakfast, and was told it would be fixed that evening but it wasn't so I spent another night with little sleep in a very well lit room).
The bathroom is very tiny in that suite, so if you're not a tiny person, I would recommend one of the rooms with a tub so that you're guaranteed more room. The shower had a leak in the ceiling or something (water kept pouring off the ceiling from either the room above or from the pipes inside the ceiling, not sure), but it wasn't a big deal. The cold water would go out in the middle of the shower every once in a while (not sure if that was from someone flushing or what). They were in the middle of repairing the ceiling in the living room, so there was a large piece of drywall with plaster stains drying in there. Probably from a broken pipe. These are basic plumbing issues when you are in an old house, so if you're familiar with old historic house B&Bs, you know you're bound to see a repair in process from time-to-time and have to go with the flow on the plumbing (pun intended).

Unlike smaller B&Bs, which are run by the owners and the owners typically live in the house and do all of the cooking and cleaning themselves, this one has a staff in addition to the owners (because it is so large and has so many rooms). Upon arrival I had to ring the bell twice (apparently everyone was checking in at the same time or everyone inside was busy). From this moment on, I kept getting the impression that something had happened and there was some sort of problem/crisis going on. Everyone seemed to be stressed the entire weekend about something and the innkeepers seemed nowhere to be found except at breakfast. It was not my normal B&B experience. I was finally greeted by the housekeeper, who was incredibly sweet and very apologetic for having to be the one to greet me since everyone was busy. She gave me my room key and showed me my room and how to ring for the innkeeper, but couldn't answer any of my questions about the inn (like when is breakfast, etc.). I was told the innkeeper would be in to see me soon, so I got my things out of the car and went into my room, and then looked around the living room area for a bit. I waited 30 minutes and then decided to leave since I had a lot of things I wanted to do in Williamsburg. I met the owner, Bob, at breakfast the next morning (but I didn't know it was Bob for a few minutes since he didn't introduce himself--I thought he was another guest). I never met Grace. I was told she was in the house but she never saw her the whole 2 days I was there. The house is very clean, well-decorated, lovely antique pieces in the suite as well as the living room. There are no tvs in the bedrooms, which is a nice change of pace for a long weekend. Breakfast is served buffet style, and consists of mostly casserole-type fare. The first day they served scrambled eggs with cheese casserole, a spinach/egg casserole, a fresh fruit plate (cantalope, strawberries, pineapple), and another fruit dish (I can't remember what it was but it was very good). They also have boxed cereal, store-bought or boxed mix bread and muffins, juice, coffee, tea and milk. The second day breakfast was scrambled eggs with cheese casserole, an oatmeal casserole dish, and the fresh fruit. In the afternoon, hot water (for tea or instant coffee), soda and water is out for guests as well as some individually packaged snacks like cracker jacks and crackers with cheese. There is powdered milk for coffee, but I am sure if you want some half and half or something, they would be happy to bring it to you. You get your picture taken at breakfast (so make sure you're in picture taking mode ladies :D) and Bob makes a cute brochure with your picture on it to take home. I traveled alone on this particular trip, so I think my experience is a little different than those traveling in a group or as a couple (i.e., I notice more details). I've stayed at about 15 different B&Bs up and down the east coast and Canada in the last couple of years and this is definitely one that I would stay at again and would recommend to friends; however, I did not have the same glowing experience that others on here seemed to have had at this place. I think a little of that has to do with the fact that it was a very busy holiday weekend with every room filled.

• Stayed September 2005
6 Thank VaBelle35
Reviewed August 8, 2005

On a recent trip to Williamsburg, Va., I had the pleasure to be staying at the Cedars Bed and Breakfast where I experienced the pleasure of being treated like royalty.
The rooms were beautifully decorated with old world charm, very clean, most comfortable; the breakfasts were just outstanding and plentiful.
Of all the bed and breakfasts or hotels that I've stayed at throughout the years (including overseas), I've never felt more welcome or personally cared about than I did at the Cedars.
The staff, the food, the atmosphere, genuine concern for the guest's comfort and even their sense of humor made my stay there a very memorable one. I hope to return every year.
The only thing I could suggest that would make the Cedars better would be if Grace and Bob Tubbs could move their B&B (with entire staff, of course,) a little closer to Ohio-like Middleburg Hts. (my hometown)!
Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed May 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 6, 2005

This was a great first B&B experience! I would recommend it to anyone-couples, families, all are welcome! Breakfast was great every day and the staff was very friendly and helpful!

Florida City, Florida
Reviewed July 29, 2005

THE CEDARS WAS FABULOUS !!! We secured the entire B&B for family and guests for the weekend of my daughter's wedding. From the start of our planning and throughout our stay, both Bob and Grace and their staff couldn't have been nicer. The rooms were absolutely lovely, each appointed with care and were spotless. The flowers inside and the beautiful gardens outside spoke to their personal love and care of their home. It is a business, however, it is clear that they personally take pride in making it feel like a home to their guests. They added to our many w/e memories by taking pictures throughout our stay, sharing a 'CD' of them when we left.

The backyard Gazebo, complete w torches, was a terrific gathering place each evening for guests to enjoy "down time" and a fantastically beautiful setting for wedding photos.

Snacks available throughout the day and the scrumptious homemade morning breakfasts were wonderful and made the daily costs very fair.

An older home, the bathrooms were not large, but well adequate for most anyone...except for a person of VERY large size.

Bob and Grace were easy to work with while planning for the finances of our group to secure all of the rooms. their emails were prompt and easily understood. They were helpful with regard to sightseeing and restaurant recommendations. They were easily accessible throughout the day, however, guest privacy was, also, respected.

I would HIGHLY recommend this B&B to anyone and I feel that the cozy, home like feel of this B&B, FAR outweighs the more impersonal nature of larger hotels in the area.

If you don't stay here, you are REALLY missing a wonderful experience. BELIEVE !!!

• Stayed June 2005