“Unfortunate Stay”

America's Inn
America's Inn
Ranked #70 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed August 30, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. I had two rooms booked. When I arrived, my key wouldn't open the door and every time I entered, it took 4 or 5 swipes to get in. The toilet seat was broken, the coffee maker took 3 hours to make coffee, the air conditioner above our room started leaking into our room causing the floor to get wet and mildew, I had to ask to get my sheets changed, the complimentary computer was not working, there was no washing powder in the dispenser to use in the washer, the side walks had mulch and debree on them for about 3 days of our stay, after which they mowed and had grass on the walkways, the ice bucket was cracked down the side in one of my rooms. When I complained, they just smiled and did nothing. I will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank grk0120

Reviewed March 14, 2007

I stayed here with my family in mid Feb. The staff was friendly and accomodating especially the people at the front desk. It was a enjoyable stay and I look foward to returning again over the summer.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank peneylayne
Reviewed September 8, 2006

We've stayed here every year for many years. It has good points and bad points. The place needs to be updated, but we always find it clean. We've NEVER had any bugs as a few reviews have mentioned. Some areas are poorly lit and it seems like a simple enough thing for them to fix, but they don't. The pool area is always clean & nice. The one HUGE problem they have is noise. The past 3 years we've always had 1 nights fee removed off our bill because of noise. Williamsburg seems to have alot of school groups and this hotel always has a ton of them there. Because this means alot of money for them they don't do much about it when the kids misbehave or make noise, disturbing other quests. In April there was a group from South America. Oh My!! These kids pulled the fire alarms (twice). They partied at the pool several nights until after 2:00 a.m. Our room faced the pool and it was not pleasant! We complained and complained. They would ask them to be quiet but the chaparones were partying with the kids, so that didn't work. Others complained. I can't understand why the place didn't throw them out or call the police, but they refused. Every time we go, there are kids groups. Some are quite well behaved, but others are awful and keep you up all night. It can definately ruin your night.

Also, I can't believe some of the prices reviewers have paid. We never pay that high. Ask about the cheapest rate. Join their free club and get low rates. We've paid $50 & even lower. I'd never pay $100 here.

For some reason we really do like it here and will continue to stay here. In fact, we'll be going later this fall.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Bampa
Reviewed July 25, 2006

I think the title sums up my stay at this hotel. I stayed here over a weekend in July '06. I didn't mind that my room (#130) was a smoking room, even though I don't smoke, but one of the double beds had bugs on it! Luckily, the other bed didn't after I did a thorough check of the bed and sheets. I also didn't wake up with bite marks.

The room was big, but very dark. Inadequate lighting made the room feel like a dungeon.

The air conditioner unit had many colonies of some sort of mold-like species growing in it. There were many species present, as evidenced by the different colors of the colonies. That may have been great for a microbiologist, but not for a weekend tourist like me.

Needless to say, I'll never stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank alexnova
Reviewed June 7, 2006

The pictures are totally misleading. Looks and feels like a tenament apartment complex. No elevators, poison ivy bordering all sides of our parking lot, police drug bust in the slums next door. Unlit and concealed entrances to the detached building. I could not believe the shoddiness of the construction of this place. I could hear and feel the floor flexing as you walked on it. We booked 3 rooms and we could hear each others TV's and conversations.

VERY STEEP and smelly entryway. Again, no elevator so my Mom had real trouble getting to her room. Can't imagine what an elderly couple with bags would do.

The bathroom was cramped, moldy and smelled. Housekeeping had not cleaned behind the door in years with mold and accumulated hair and other unknown substances. The tub was stained and worn with faied non-slip applique attempts still showing.

The main lobby area looked like it was being demolished. The free breakfast was a joke.

I can't believe I paid $110 a night for this dump. Best Western should be ashamed of themselves for letting a facility like this put their tag on it. Should not be a problem for long. I can't imagine that word won't get around.

• Stayed: June 2006
13  Thank Chris J
A TripAdvisor Member
Northern, New Jersey
Reviewed May 20, 2006

Here's a breakdown of the motel:

Exterior/Interior- Horrible. The pictures online make the motel look like a decent hotel. Well, the truth is, most of the "complex" has outdoor hallways that do not appear to be well lit. On my two night stay, I was placed in the building with interior hallways that you can see in the pictures. This was no better. My room was on the 3rd floor and there was no elevator. Secondly, the staircase looked like it could belong in a parking garage. IT WAS THAT BAD. White brick walls...Florescent Lighting...Metal Staircase with no carpet. :-( [Beware- the windows seem to break a lot] [Also, you may have to drive to your room]

Service- Ok. Just Ok.

Pool/Gameroom- Thumbs down. Little kids were throwing rocks at the building. The window broke and glass went all over the pool floor and actually into the water. After the staff closed the pool, the entire crowd, which was quite large, went into the gameroom which was hot and sticky. Other than this, it was fine.

Room- Nothing Special. Although the carpet was a little "iffy". Also, the bathroom was ok exceptfor the shower which had minimal pressure.

Other- Close to Busch Gardens. Overall, stay at the Hilton Garden Inn or any other hotels in the area. STAY AWAY!!! STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed: April 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 19, 2005

We stayed there last week (Aug.12-14th) for a quick weekend trip. We decided to go about a week before and take our shih tzu so this hotel allows small pets. We had actually stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn next door and loved it, but they don't allow dogs. The main building doesn't look bad from the outside, but it goes downhill from there. It looks like they are trying to "update" here and there (at the rate they are going..it everything will be outdated before they finish!) Lobby..looks OK, but as you go to the pool and rooms..forget it. They have several buildings either 2 story or 3 story. No elevators. It needs paint. It needs power washing. It needs ALOT of things. We were on the second floor. Hallway smelled of mildew. Room wasn't too bad. Rooms were a nice size. Bathroom was small. None of us would get a bath or shower. I'd rather be dirty and there was no way I was going to let my 2 year old get a bath in that tub. Beds were comfy, but judging by the looks of the hotel we opted to sleep ontop of most of the sheets. There was a hole in the wall. There was no chain lock on the door as an extra security measure. There was no escape/emergency route sticker on the back of the door or anywhere else. Isn't that required by law? There may have been a sheet of paper in this binder thing, but in the case of a fire..I am not going to be headed for the door..not a binder! The carpet looked older than me (I'm 33). Oh and so did the vaccuum cleaners the male housekeepers were using! The free continental breakfast was a total joke. Rubbery bagels and boxes of cereal. DH went the 1st a.m. and came back and walked back across the parking lot to McDonalds. (We're not fans of NcDonalds..so if that tells you something...) Oh..we also had room key problems. Mine din't work & when I went to get it fixed..then my Dh's didn't work. We had to take both back at the same time. Was told that if they fix one, the other gets wiped out. So you have to do it to both. My best advice is to keep looking. There are some newer nicer hotels on Bypass Road..Homewood, Quality Inn, Country Inns and Suites and another Quality Inn and a Courtyard by Marriot (closer to Busch Gardens). I don't know how there service is but I bet it's a whole lot cleaner and newer! Really..keep looking.

• Stayed: August 2005