All reviewscafe provencalquichewilliamsburg winerywinery tourthe gabriel archer tavernprovence roomeuropean countrycomplimentary tourchampagne roomfurnished with antiquesworking fireplacewonderful weekendhardwood floorsromantic getawaycontinental breakfastyogurtstayed longer
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Located at the Williamsburg Winery in Williamsburg Virginia. A quaint inn. The rooms are nicely decorated and very comfortable. Although the property is new, it has the feel of an old inn with antiques and wood burning fireplaces. There was a wedding party on the property- would be a great setting for a wedding. The people were friendly, welcoming and very accommodating. We ate there at the Cafe and had an excellent meal. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary. Honestly the only thing we didn't like were the pillows! We are feather pillow people and didn't like the foam pillows. We did not call the desk - they may have been able to accommodate us.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linda756
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Wedmore place for 1 night to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary, and it was absolutely perfect! We were greeted with warm hospitality where the receptionist upgraded our room for no additional charge! The hotel is located away from the busy streets, nestled next door to the Williamsburg Winery. By staying at the hotel, all guests receive a complimentary tour & tasting at the winery (such a great bonus, and a great date for couples!). Also, each guest received one free glass of wine at Cafe Provencal from 5:00-7:00pm. Our room was absolutely beautiful, gorgeous decor and a comfy king-sized bed. A delicious complimentary breakfast was included the next morning, and you could order additional items if desired. Overall, it was a great value, and all the extra perks really made our stay special.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VBeachRunner
Reviewed October 10, 2010

This place was attractive to the eye upon first glance, but once I actually spent some time in the hotel, I was severely disappointed. The bathroom was tiny and contrived, it felt like I was taking a shower on a boat. For the price you pay and the kind of place it appears to be, these bathrooms were the smallest and strangest I have seen.

The worst part - I could not successfully get any sleep, because the entire place is hardwood construction like an old home, meaning you can hear EVERYTHING, including the overbearing owner's loud, fast footsteps as she circles the hallway all morning long micro-managing her employees and trying to impress guests with 'service' that is really just inconvenient and in this case, hindering most enjoyment of staying in the hotel. The bed was against the wall that was adjacent to the hallway - yet another bad move. Even with earplugs in, I could hear every last thing, including the drawers being opened in the room above me, people having conversations in the lobby, etc. If nothing else, you should be able to get a good sleep at a hotel. Don't count on it here.

And each time you want ice you have to summon someone from the front desk, which is about as inconvenient as it gets. It may seem like great personalized 'service' from their end - but really its just a big pain. People don't want to call everyone sometime they want some ice - and its not like theres a fridge in the room either........Anyway I assumed the staff have to run down to their 'restaurant' - Cafe Provencal - to retrieve the ice - a restaurant which does not resemble ANY real french dining I have had in the past in the States, and certainly does not warrant its excessive pricing.

The hotel makes no effort to bring guests food either, unless you want to order the overpriced breakfast room service from their restaurant, which was extremely underwhelming. I never knew an omelet with crab, spinach and goat cheese could possibly be so disappointing. Not to mention a croissant which clearly was not made in house, bought somewhere else, and not even a real croissant shape. How you can claim to be 'European', have a 'french' restaurant, and then not even have a real croissant?

The wireless internet connection was horrible, so I got a network cable from the front desk and then after a long time searching, had to call them into my room in order to find the ethernet plug, which was behind a gigantic armoir in the room - yet another task that requires calling the front desk for help for something that I should be able to do on my own and not having to keep inviting staff into my temporary living space, nor should it require having to move a very tall, heavy piece of furniture in order to access it. At least once I used the cable the internet was good, but I am probably one of few who read in the hotel book that they have network cables and then also made sure to find the hidden data port.

Their 'library' downstairs was slightly impressive looking but disappointingly full of cheesy magazines and lots of novels that you can buy at a grocery store, peppered with a few european classics here and there.

One good thing to say - the employees and especially night-time clerk were friendly and very helpful with every request, and unfortunately I could tell that they were clearly under the thumb of the over-bearing owner, micro-managing most of their moves during the times of day she is there.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank seventhitythree
kduffeler, Owner at Wedmore Place, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2010

At Wedmore Place we strive to provide a unique experience based on superior service in an atmosphere of casual elegance. We welcome comments from our guests and try to remain open to constructive criticism. We also understand that we cannot please all people, and we must respectfully assert that many of the comments made by seventhitythree are simply inaccurate.

Our hospitality manager (not an owner), enjoys a warm relationship with her staff and is very hands on, expending great effort to see that everything is going smoothly and all guest needs are met. We have addressed with her the need to do this as quietly as possible.

We take particular pride in our food service. Room service is available for all meals by arrangement. Our croissants are imported from France in par-baked form and baked fresh daily here on the premises. Our restaurant, seeks to embody the modern French style of cooking (based on our decade of residence in that country), and our menu is posted online so that guests can review what is available in advance.

Our internet is Cox high speed, and provides the fastest internet connection currently available in our area. We are reviewing each room to ensure that the Ethernet cable plugs are readily accessible in the event that the wifi is not at peak performance.

Our library is an example of the European experience we seek to offer – books are available in four languages, on subjects including geography, history, politics and yes, modern literature.

As part of the family that founded and operates Wedmore Place, my cell phone number is placed in every room; it is unfortunate when guests, for whatever reason, do not feel comfortable bringing their concerns to us prior to check-out, when we still have a hope of addressing and resolving them.

Reviewed September 28, 2010

Smart Inn/Hotel with delightful rooms and lovely bathroom. Plenty of parking space and only ten minutes by car to Historic Williamsburg. Hotel has both a restaurnat and a cafe/bistro attached. The latter being useful if you do not fancy 'fine dining' or when the main restaurant is full. The Hotel is popular for weddings, and if you are there at the weekend (as we were) it is possible to get overlooked at the expense of the wedding party guests. This was the case at breakfast when we were intitially offered paper cups for coffee, since they had a large party to deal with. The matter was however soon rectified by the friendly young serving staff who make up for their lack of experience and overall direction, by their pleasant manner.

Next to the hotel is theWilliamsburg Winery and hotel guests are offered a complimentary tour and tasting. Well worth doing.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MosesGloucestershire
Reviewed September 26, 2010

My husband and I spent the weekend at Wedmore. We were in Williamsburg for a wedding. Most guests stayed at Williamsburg Inn/Lodge so we wanted to be far away from the madding crowd. We were so happy we picked Wedmore. From the moment we arrived, we were made to feel at home. We stayed in the Provence room and it truly was a taste of southern France. Dinner at Cafe Provencal was ambitious and the Chef did not disappoint! Continental breakfast the next morning w/flaky croissants, an outstanding deep tissue massage and then to the wine tasting next door at Williamsburg Winery and lunch at Gabriel Archer tavern. So much fun. We bought a case of wine to bring home. After the wedding in 100degree heat, it was refreshingly comfortable to get another good nights sleep at the Inn. We hope to return again!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple