“Really more 4.5 stars”
Review of Wedmore Place

Wedmore Place
Ranked #17 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed July 6, 2014

For the price, you really get a lot: charm, large rooms, winery tour, continental breakfast on a 100 acre estate. The beds were comfortable and decor was very european - which was the family's intent. Yes, it is noisy with the hard wood floors and design, but all the guests are aware of this and try to be considerate. It isn't much noisier than a B&B. The breakfast was super tasty. I did think the bathrooms were small with odd layout, yet you also had both a bathtub and separate shower.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KipL

Reviewed June 28, 2014

The rooms are beautiful and so comfy! I love the creaking of the wood floors, as it brought back memories of my grandparents home on the farm. She could always tell when we got out of bed when we should have been in it. The breakfast was so amazing, it was hard to push the plate away. The staff was very courteous and helpful. Don't forget to take the winery tour next door. The best wine tour I have been on and our guide was terrific. A nice restful getaway out of the city and worth every penny and more.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Normandy room, but they all look beautiful. It overlooked the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda S
Reviewed June 26, 2014

This was a return visit to Wedmore Place. Unfortunately, only for one night.
The grounds are magnificent...vineyards everywhere you look. Our room was large and cozy with a fireplace and a beautiful view of the grounds. Service was excellent.
Only downside was boisterous guests returning late, slamming doors, and being inordinately loud.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank elledeb
Reviewed May 30, 2014

What I love: 1) The rooms! The rooms are all beautifully decorated and each one is different, representing a different European country. Each room has a wood-burning fireplace and a plush king bed (I love the bed, but I could see if you have back problems the mattress may be too soft for you, so be prepared). 2) The breakfast. There is a lovely continental breakfast spread that includes fresh fruit, cereals, croissants, specialty breads, yogurt, and 2 quiches of the day (1 veggie, 1 meat). I've seen other reviews for this place and people are miffed that there isn't a hot breakfast - they specifically state on their website this is what they offer. They also carry Harney & Sons tea - a brand which I'm now addicted to and that I discovered during my first visit several years back. 3) The ambiance. This place is just so tranquil - I feel like I'm completely transported somewhere else when I stay there. It's really charming. 4) Cafe Provencal is just fantastic (see my review), and you can't beat just going back up to your room after a leisurely dinner.

What I don't love: 1) The noise. So I'll admit, one of the charms is the rustic feel of the Inn which is evidenced by their wood floors throughout the entire building. However, as others have noted, this can be quite noisy. You can always hear people walking around, in the hallway and if you are on the bottom floor, above you. This particular visit we were blessed with some pretty quiet neighbors above, but next door we definitely heard a couple having some fun and at one point heard a cell phone ring. This isn't enough to deter me from staying there, but if you are sensitive to noise, I definitely recommend staying on the second floor, which will at least lessen the noise from above. 2) The Wi-Fi was really spotty on this visit. The first night it didn't work at all, the second night the router was re-set and it worked fine, and then after that it was on and off, which was a bit frustrating, especially since I didn't have a great cell phone signal and I was trying hard not to drain my battery.

Overall, for me, the pros definitely outweigh the cons and I'm a frequent visitor to Wedmore Place.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the second floor to avoid noise above you.
2  Thank LttlRed
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Away from the madhouse that Williamsburg has become, Wedmore Place was the perfect place to stay. Great staff that handled all events/requests without fail. Complementary breakfast was very good and coffee snobs will enjoy the Italian Roast they pour. Only two glitches: Housekeeping was sub par and the TV was easily the worst offering I've experienced in a property of this caliber. Keep an eye out for the resident Woodchucks/Groundhogs/WhistlePigs.

1  Thank mariahbay
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Wedmore Place is absolutely beautiful and our meal fantastic. Our server, Carol, was wonderful. A lovely place that we will definitely visit again and recommend to our friends. Winery next door was also wonderful with excellent wine and a great tour.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Room was clean and comfortable, but not well lit. Lamp on desk was broken. Waited 5 minutes at check-in for someone to show at front desk; no offer of help with luggage. Dining room was closed and room service had little food on hand. Breakfast buffet opened late, had no eggs and limited selection; hostess explained that kitchen staff previous night did not prepare for breakfast. Location is out of the way.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Taxgururoa
kduffeler, Manager at Wedmore Place, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

As always we thank this guest for taking the time to leave a review of our property, and we regret that they were disappointed with aspects of their stay. A 5 minute wait without personnel at the front desk is not acceptable, nor is the failure to offer assistance with luggage. We regret that these failures impacted the guest experience and are working with our staff to ensure it does not happen again.

With only 28 rooms, 24 hour full service room service is simply not practical for us. We do stock a variety of meats, cheeses, crackers and other snack options for guests wishing to dine outside of our normal dinner hours (5-9 PM).

Breakfast in fact opened early for this guest at their request (our standard opening time for breakfast is at 8 AM). Our European style breakfast typically offers croissants, pastries, fresh fruit and berries, greek yogurt and a variety of other items.