$100
$111
$95
$119
Hampton.com
Holiday Inn Express Williamsburg North(Williamsburg)(Great Value!)
$86
HIExpress.com
Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg(Williamsburg)(Great Value!)
$133
$119
GardenInn.com
$139
$123
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn(Williamsburg)(Great Value!)
$79
$99
$89
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $101/night.

All reviewscafe provencalquichewilliamsburg winerywinery tourthe gabriel archer tavernprovence roomeuropean countrycomplimentary tourchampagne roomfurnished with antiquesworking fireplacewonderful weekendhardwood floorsromantic getawaycontinental breakfastyogurtstayed longer
Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

I am not a five star hotel connoisseur in any way, so I don't know how this compares, but I would rate this as one of the better places I've stayed. The room was beautiful. We stayed in the Kilarney room. The service was impeccable. The owners were basically on call if something was not up to standard, which didn't happen. The goal of the owners was to create a welcoming European style country inn. Well, they hit it out of the park with this place. One of my favorite things was the smell. The whole place had the smell of natural wood. The pool was very relaxing. It's not the most spectacular pool area I've seen, but functional and enjoyable. I would have to say the staff is the strength of the place. They were all so pleasant and just fabulous.

A few small negatives would be the place can be a little noisy because of the way it's built. Everything is natural woods and the floors creek, but I'm searching here because I enjoyed every second of the stay. The only real negative for my wife and I was the size of the shower. The layout of the bathroom is tight, because of the separate tub & shower. The shower stall was a little small for us. Now we're both well over 6ft, so this may have a little to do with my opinion on this.

Overal,I love it & Would recommend to anyone looking for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank tanney9
Reviewed July 5, 2012

If you are up for a high-priced stay, you'll enjoy Wedmore Place. It is very comfortable, with large rooms, and includes a good breakfast. You also can elect to dine in their Café Provençal, which offers superb gormet meals. The whole place, including rooms, is done up in medievel French furnishings and decor (swords, suits of armor, etc.). It is costly, but worth the money if that's the kind of getaway you're looking for. If you like wine then you will enjoy the added benefit of visiting the adjoining Williamsburg Winery, a short stroll from the Wedmore. The Winery has come a long way in twenty years and offers some great wines. Packages can be purchased through Wedmore that include a dinner in the Café Provençal and a wine tasting at the Winery, which is good any time, in case you don't get around to using it during your current visit.

It is about a 10-minute drive to the Colonial Area of Williamsburg, if that is your primary destination, but did not at all interfere with our enjoying ourselves there for long periods of the day.

The only criticism I have is that we were annoyed by a loud banging noise repeatedly from plumbing pipes in another room above us whenever its occupants turned water on or off. We reported this to the owner/manager, who said she would look into it (we stayed in room 15 on the first floor).

Room Tip: Perhaps ask to stay in a room on the end opposite #15, where we heard the noisy pipes.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Allen W
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We recently moved to Virginia and found Wedmore Place on the computer and it looked interesting and nearby. So, when friends came to visit, we decided to spend a night there. The first stay in May was amazing - everything was perfect - the rooms (they stayed in the Burgundy room and we stayed in the Provence room) that were comfortable and quiet, the dinner and breakfast that were both gourmet, the pool area that was relaxing and the winery that was well stocked with excellent affordable wines.
When another couple came to visit in mid-June, we decided to repeat our stay at Wedmore Place and see if our first impression was valid. IT WAS!!! We stayed in different rooms (they were in the Piemonte room and we were in the Brandenburg room). The food was, again, superb and the staff could not do enough to assist us. As an extra touch of hospitality, as we sat by the pool, the owners Patrick and Francoise Duffeler, came out to say hello and thank us for staying there! We felt like houseguests and were treated like family by everyone.
We will return many times to this special place and perhaps try the spa, spend time reading in the library, and enjoy the outdoor walking trails

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Where to start with Wedmore Place. First I would like to say that overall I had a wonderful stay. I have a lot to say so this will be long winded! Obviously the place is gorgeous. The surroundings were serene. There were two restaurants and a winery on site as well as walking/biking trails. Our destination was Colonial Williamsburg and the hotel/bed and breakfast was about a ten minute drive to the visitors center.

Directions to main attractions will be given at the front desk, if you ask, on a little sheet of paper. The drawback to this was there were no ‘return directions’. This was an issue due to the design of the roads. You could not come back the way you came. We got turned around nearly our whole stay. It became a running joke by day three. J Even so the staff did say that we could call for any directions we needed and they would do their best to help!

Rooms: We stayed in the Tradition Rooms. Although they are probably considered the ‘economy’ rooms of Wedmore, you absolutely wouldn’t know it. They were beautiful, roomy, and comfortable.

Breakfast: Only second to the amazing rooms. It was a welcomed treat every morning. All of the staff present in the Café for breakfast were lovely.

Staff: More than accommodating but the ball was dropped on some issues. (Read on.)

Housekeeping: Didn’t really come in contact with housekeeping at all. Just knew that they showed up. Unfortunately the housekeeping was a downside to Wedmore. At best housekeeping wiped out your sink and made your bed. The trash in my bathroom was emptied daily but the trash can in the bedroom was overflowing by the 3rd day. ?? Not sure what was up with that. I will preface my next comment by stating that I know I have a bit of an OCD but I also have allergies. So here goes…I got so tired of looking at the same snippet of paper and the same dust bunny on my carpet that on the second night I went to the supply closet myself, dragged out the vacuum cleaner, and vacuumed my room. I realize most people wouldn’t do this, however, I was taking both Zyrtec AND Benedryl daily and still having allergy issues. It also goes to show that the floors were not touched my entire stay. Even if I went to an economy hotel the ENTIRE room would have been dusted and vacuumed on a daily basis. The whole bathroom would have also been cleaned…not just the sink. Again, not sure what was up with that.

Restaurants: I unfortunately didn’t have time to visit Gabriel Archer Tavern and regret that. I did eat at the Café on the bottom floor of Wedmore. Appetizer was great, salad was great, amuze-bouch was tasty, dinner was average for crab cakes, and desert was killer! One thing I won’t forget any time soon was the warm brownie served with pistachio ice cream and drizzled with dark cherries in some fabulous syrup. My only complaint is that I didn’t get to hug the chef!! As an addition, the atmosphere of the restaurant was much more relaxed than I had expected. There were even people visiting with t-shirts and shorts. I’m on the fence trying to decide if this took anything away from the experience. Staff in the restaurant were great but not very ‘uniform’. Again I‘m wondering if this took away from the restaurant. I suppose the Café is just more relaxed than I had originally thought.

Winery: This was interesting. I’ve been to many wineries. This winery creates, serves and sells only one sweet wine. It was raspberry in nature and reminded me of an ice wine. Yummy! Other than that there were no fruit wines…no sweet wines…it was an adventure in strictly dry wines. Was a little disappointing as I like sweet whites. None the less the owners have a great belief in what they do and sweet wines are not a tradition they hold near and dear. If I remember correctly it had something to do with their country of origin. Keep in mind by this point I had several ample ‘tastes’ of wine. I forget the whole reasoning/story. I did purchase a bottle of Merlot for a dear friend but unfortunately nothing for myself and I just do not care for dry.

Negatives: As a whole there were more positives than negatives but a few that I feel are worth mentioning. If I would have been braver I would have outright complained.

First…upon check in I was told that my card would be swiped and a hold would be placed on my account. Fine. I was then also told that upon check out my card would be swiped again and I would be charged for the rooms. Fine. This isn’t where it ends. The woman checking me in very nervously continues on, putting the blame on my bank saying that they may charge my card twice. So I’m thinking to myself: ’Okay…I’m not an idiot…first you are telling me you are going to swipe my card 2 times during my stay but then turn around and say “your bank” will charge you twice.’ Hmm? This gave me an uneasy feeling. The headache I had to deal with after only one day of being home goes like this: In the event that you use a bank card to pay for your stay at Wedmore you will have to go through the annoyance of filing a complaint and waiting days to be refunded your money. Meh… Travelers really do not need these headaches when they have just spent a boatload of money on a vacation as a whole. This is the first time this have ever happened to me with a lodging purchase. No other hotel has ever said they needed to swipe my card twice. My suggestion would be for the hotel to immediately charge your room upon arrival. If incidentals have to be charged (drinks, snacks, tips, etc.) the guest and hotel can settle up at the end of stay. I don’t get why the hotel would need to charge their guests twice and put them through this headache.

Second…As stated in the information sheet you receive upon arrival if you need anything such as ice, snacks, drinks, toothpaste, etc. all you need to do is ask and they will be provided. Since I was traveling with a child this was good news. We skipped lunch everyday as dinner out every night is so heavy but children tend to want a little something in-between. I asked for some snacks and sodas. We collected what we wanted in snacks, and sodas were delivered to our rooms. EVERY SINGLE snack that was given to us was expired. My daughters chips were in fact 2 YEARS EXPIRED and not only was it evident in the smell of rancid oil but they tasted horrifying. I politely returned them to the desk and said we would skip the snacks. Again…very accommodating…the staff apologized but wanted to find something else for us. When she went to the cupboard to look for fresher snacks she found that they were ALL expired. Not just by months but by years. Umm…I was speechless. No apology this time but a statement was made by staff that “I have to get on the Chef about this.” and “I’m still going to have to charge you for the sodas.” Blah…

Third…the cleaning. I’m sorry to mention this again but there just was no excuse for this. The towels were replaced, the bed was made, only one of my two trashcans were emptied, and my sink was wiped off. Other than that…that was it. These are beautiful rooms. The dust on everything and the dirty floors do them no justice. I was so discouraged that by the third day I didn’t even leave a tip. My co-traveler experienced the same and left no tip at all her entire stay. I felt guilty about that but in the end tips are meant for at least decent service.

All in all I would rate Wedmore a 7 out of 10. I enjoyed myself immensely with these few inconveniences. This is not at all to down play them. I would recommend Wedmore but would warn any prospective travelers about the bank card issue, the fact that they would have to supply their own snacks even though the welcome letter states otherwise, and that if they have allergies the dust in the rooms may be an issue.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Amanda F
kduffeler, General Manager at Wedmore Place, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2012

We very much appreciate the time that this guest took to write such an extensive review, and were particularly glad to see her positive comments regarding the food, wine and ambiance of Wedmore Place. Wedmore Place takes great pride in maintaining high housekeeping standards, and we were concerned that it appears these standards may not have been met during her stay. We are taking this opportunity to review standards and training with our staff. We were also concerned that our snack supply, which is refreshed regularly, had expired items. We are addressing this issue with our vendors to make sure that we are not being sold expired goods, and have instructed our staff to inspect the expiration dates upon receipt, and again before service to a guest.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend and had a wonderful time. We stayed in the Cornwall room, which was painted a beautiful red, the room was nicely decorated, and the bed was extremely comfortable. We enjoyed the breakfast in the morning - the quiches were excellent and we loved their selection of teas, breads, cereals, and yogurt, and the staff was very attentive with getting us coffee/tea. The staff was also very attentive throughout our entire stay. We booked the Romance Package, which included a three course meal at the hotel restaurant (separate TripAdvisor review) as well as a couples' massage. I admit, I was a little put off as the hotel doesn't have a full-on spa - we had to pass by the (bare) exercise room on the way up to the massage room, but once we were on the tables we completely forgot about that because my husband and I agreed that it was one of the best massages we've ever had. There are two reasons why I am not giving this hotel 5 stars. The first is because the room did not have blackout shades - they were room darkening but this particular room faces the morning sun which makes for a bright morning. I know this doesn't bother most people but I had to put my face mask on in the morning as I'm sensitive to light when I sleep. The second reason is a reason that has also been mentioned on here - the sound carries. We were on the first floor and while the people above us were very quiet and did not bother us at all, we were awoken by several people having a conversation around 7am one morning; I believe they were just hanging out and killing time before breakfast, which starts at 8. However, I will say that these issues will not prevent me from staying at the hotel again...the other parts of our stay more than made up for any complaints that I have.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple