“Clean, comfortable and priceworthy”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
Fleming Island, Florida
“Clean, comfortable and priceworthy”
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We usually stay at a different hotel in Williamsburg but that hotel had sold out our military discount. I found this hotel at TripAdvisor to be rated #1 in Williamsburg so I called and got a great Government rate. The day prior to checking in, I noticed a charge on my card for almost $100 more than what our stay was going to cost. I called the hotel and they told me that is a credit card hold and it will fall off and it was more than what I would be paying due to any possible incidentals. I have stayed in many hotels in my life and have never had a hotel do this. I have a slight issue with this since the card I used was my checking card and when I made the reservation, nobody told me this would happen. If this were the case I would have used a different card to hold the room and used my checking card to pay for the room! Anyway, at check-in things were quick and ran smoothly. I found nobody to be overly nice or accomodating...just doing their job. The room was very clean and nice. I checked for bed bugs due to all of the stories about recent outbreaks all over the country and found our beds were very clean and looked like new...no bed bugs! The beds were low to the floor but comfortable. Plenty of pillows, towels, and space. The location was great. Right down the street from restaurants and only a 5-7 minute drive to either the Colonial area, the outlets, and many shops. Busch Gardens took us a mere 10 minutes to drive to. We did not eat at the restaurant because kids do not eat free at this Holiday Inn. The Golden Corral and IHOP do honor children eating for free. I would stay at this hotel again and tell anybody going to Williamsburg who want a pet-free hotel to stay there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank casmith_93035
GM515, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, September 10, 2010
Dear casmith_93035,

We really appreciate you taking the time to review our property. Thank your for the favorable scores!

I am really happy to see you and your family enjoyed our clean and spacious rooms. Our staff here does an excellent job, and they are really great people. I do understand that not every hotel authorizes credit cards. Seeing that we offer many great amenities such as Laundry, Dry Cleaning, Roomservice, and Sundries, we allow you the liberty of charges those things to your room at your convenience. Therefore, we only authorize $50 to cover any expenses you may charge while you stay with us.

In the future, if you have a credit card, they are the best measure of securing hotel rooms. When they are authorized, you do not see any funds as a "pending charge" on your statement. And let me add that you can change your payment method at anytime during your stay or at check out if you do not wish to pay with the credit card.

Hope that helps and any questions you might have please feel free to call me, I will be glad to help any way I can!

(757) 229-9990

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Vineland, New Jersey
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Overall I would recommend this hotel for families. It is is within 10 minutes from Busch Gardens, less then 5 minutes from Colonial Williamsburg and right down the street from tons of nice restaurants and premium outlet shopping. My husband and I along with our eight year old son traved Fri. Aug. 27th through Mon. Aug. 30 for a weekend getaway before school starts.
- The hotel was a little pricey but I did book last minute. I"m sure you could find a cheaper hotel on the same street for less but then again this hotel was VERY clean, new, beds were comfortable, and the basic room was more than big enough for the three of us. They also have a breakfast buffet every morning where kids eat free. The food was decent and included everything from made to order omlets and waffles to the usual scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, cereal, muffins, etc. I would recommend including it in your stay because if you don't they charge $11 pp...we ended up paying just $5 pp booking it with the room. But if you don't care about the convenience of breakfast ready by 7am then there are plenty of restaurants for breakfast within minutes, including an IHOP down the street. The hotel is also right next to Pirates Cove
( a really great mini-golf place that my son loved)!
- One downfall I could see for others is that the staff was not too friendly, but I don't care about that. They respected my do not disturb sign and when I did need the room made it was done. Another downfall is that the walls are pretty thin, you can hear EVERYTHING, toilets flushing, babies crying in the am, etc. Hotel also has an indoor pool, but it was way too crowded every night so we never ventured there.
Not sure if I would return because there are a lot of lodging options on Bypass Road. But I don't see how you could be disappointed by this hotel. Feel worry free booking your stay here.

2 Thank Mandi6510
Dear Mandi6510,

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. I am very happy that you found our property convenient to many attractions in the area.

I am very sorry we did not "WOW" you with our guest service, that is something we aim for and do not accept anything less than 100%! I only wish we show you how great our team is here again in the future. We really thrive off of making our guest happy and creating a unique and unforgettable experience.

Please do choose us again in the future, it would be great having you again.

Yours in Hospitality,

Franklin Lakes
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We loved this hotel for its ability to offer spacious room accommodations at an afforadable price. We stayed in the 2 bedroom 2 bath suite with living room, dining area and 3 tv's. (Less expensive than getting 2 rooms at most hotels or even one room at a pricey hotel.) The whole family was in heaven. My husband and I got to sleep in a comfortable king size bed and our opposite sex kids got to sleep in the other bedroom in their own beds. No arguing over which tv to show to watch!

The rooms were new and clean and the service outstanding. We had the opportunity to meet Jeff, the General Manager, who was extremely helpful with any questions we had about our stay in Williamsburg.

We enjoyed the breakfast buffet and the central location of the hotel.

We now know why it has the #1 Trip Advisor rating in Williamsburg.

1 Thank thetruescoop
Dear Thetruescoop,

Thank you for choosing our property, it was a pleasure having you and your family. I am glad you enjoyed our spacious 2-bedroom suite, it is really one of a kind!

It is always great to make connections with our guests, it was exciting that I had previously worked in the town your family lives in! It will always be my pleasure to help you or any other guests needs in regards to anything. That is what we really love doing!

Please ask for me anytime, I really enjoy meeting our guests and getting to know a little bit about them all. Your family was very sweet and it was a pleasure to have you stay with us.

Hope to see you again soon,

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 31, 2010

The Holiday Inn is a solid 4/5. My last review is still valid (mouseover my username and click reviews), so I'll just mention a few pros/cons:
pros - Rebecca was very welcoming and helpful at check-in.
-went to the breakfast buffet where kids eat free. Food was good, better than expected with a wide variety for both adults and kids. Each booth has its own tv.
-free wireless internet

cons - Room door was ajar upon arrival. The "hotel-style" security lock was open keeping the door from closing. That was strange.
- In the bathroom, the floor mat and a hand towel were haphazardly tossed onto the counter.

Otherwise, no real complaints. Not a perfect 5/5 (I've yet to find a 5/5), but the Holiday Inn is ideal for families requiring a suite hotel. We'll definitely stay here the next time we go to Williamsburg.

Dear HeelJeff,

We really appreciate you taking the time to review our property, even twice! I am really glad to hear you enjoyed our breakfast here, our food and beverage team does an outstanding job giving our customers a wide variety of breakfast items.

As far as the door latch, I apologize you had to arrive to your room and see that. I understand this could create an unsecure feeling for you and your family, but I would like to clarify why that had happened. We have a large team of room attendants that make sure our rooms are the cleanest and freshest rooms, and we do have management come behind and inspect each room before they are rented to our our guests. The house keepers latch the door open to only vacant checked out rooms to help aide in the inspection process.

Please return, we really appreciate your business! Let me know next time you are in town, I am sure we can prove to you that we are the "5-star property" you have yet to find!

Toms River, NJ
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Stayed here last year and loved it so much we returned for our summer vacation this year
Rooms, facilities, staff and food were just as good if not better than last year
It is nice to see a hotel that delivers on value but does not skimp on accommodations.
Don't miss the Thursday night buffet
Special thanks to our outstanding waiter, Andrew

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank TomsRiver_NJMike
GM515, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, August 29, 2010
Dear TomsRiver_NJMike,

Thanks for the outstanding reviews of our property! We appreciate your business always and your loyalty as well! The staff here at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Gateway are all very happy to know that you have enjoyed yet another stay with us while visiting Williamsburg! We anticipate your return, and welcome you to contact us anytime if there is any reservation needs that we can assist you with!

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed August 19, 2010

This hotel really lives up to its rating, 5 STARS all the way!!!
I traveled with my grandson to expose him to Williamsburg, Niagara Falls and most of New England, we spent 14 days and nights on the road and this Hotel was the highlight of our accommodations while traveling. In fact my grandson enjoyed the amenities at the hotel better than most of Williamsburg. He really enjoyed the pool and unlike many hotels they allowed us to swim until 11:00 PM. The Cleanliness was impeccable as well as the service which left nothing to be asked. The location was in the middle of everything important to see, so close to it all, walking distant to some great dinning, not to mention the Bistro in the Hotel was super and we had many meals there in the three days we stayed, you can't beat the awesome breakfast buffet. Compared with rates quoted at many other hotels in the area I felt we received a tremendous value for out money here. The room was large and nicely appointed and we were able to sleep as well as if we were home, what more could we ask for.
The General Manager Mr. Geoffrey Scheibel was available for any issue you might have, which we had an issue with Bush Gardens that he was able to resolve for us. That is another story, but bottom line, there is lots of great things to do in Williamsburg that are much more entertaining than Bush Gardens even my 10 year old grandson didn't enjoy Bush Gardens that much. They have turned into capitalistic pigs... Mr. Scheibel was most helpful suggesting many interesting and historic things to see and do while visiting Williamsburg which really turned our visit around and allowed us to enjoy the balance of our stay in Williamsburg. I was quite shocked that Mr. Scheibel even called us a couple of days later just to confirm that our stay was excellent and make sure that there was nothing else he could do to help us. That was above and beyond our expectations.
I would never consider staying anywhere else when visiting Williamsburg for business or pleasure, you simply can’t go wrong here…

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ThaJeweler
Dear ThaJeweler,

We would like to extend a very warm and sincere thank you to you for writing such a kind and generous review of your family's recent experience at our property. It is great to know that even though our property will soon be 4 whole years old, we are still most certainly willing and able to provide the best of the best customer service in town! We appreciate your business and loyalty and anticipate your return to our hotel the next time you visit Williamsburg! Please feel free to contact us anytime if there is anything we can assist you with in regards to your future reservations!

Colorado
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Booked this hotel through Priceline and couldn't have been happier with the stay. The hotel was immacuately clean and the staff was incredibly helpful. Our room was very large and comfortable, although I do wish there had been more light in the entry to the room -- was pretty dark by the closet area. We used the convenient on-site laundry and were impressed with that facility. Very comfortable bed. Terrific location, only a few minutes from Colonial Williamsburg.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Cindy_McM,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel and your experience with us here on TripAdvisor. We are certainly very thrilled to know that we have exceeded yet another one of our guests' expectations! We also aprpeciate the feedback about the lighting in the entry to the room - this feedback is neccesary for us to improve our facility and continue keeping our guests happy while they are here with us! We look forward to hosting your stay once again, the next time you visit our area!