Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Nashua, NH
“Good enough.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2008

This hotel was cost effective and generally acceptable.

We found more expensive hotels which include breakfast were competitive (6 breakfasts adds up!).

The hotel does a land-rush business. Check-in was smooth, and felt like an airport kiosk.

There was some confusion (resolved quickly) about our arrival date and agreed price. The lady from Poland? (most summer service staff is from "Work and Travel" a program to fly English speaking former Eastern Bloc workers here for the summer with a few weeks of time for vacation and superior pay. Someone found a gold mine...) was pleasant and genuinely interested in our concerns.

We were told to look for luggage carts on the hotel floors since they were in high demand. (that worked quickly).

Our room, though dark was clean, capacious and satisfactory.

- The negatives -
1) Breakfast was not included, but several chains thrive nearby, including Dunkin Donuts (full of Russian students)
The front desk lady did go well out of her way to get me a free cup of coffee - NOT an offered service.!

2) The entrance area to the gym and pool smelled strongly of chlorine (yes it could have been something worse) but enough that our troupe lost interest and did not swim!)

Checkout is at 10AM (this is a high volume tourist area).
We knew this.

At 9 AM - I was shocked, surprised, and angered when the Asian Indian cleaning girl opened the door, stood there with one of our number still resting in the pullout, and asked When do we plan to check-out? Did we know that check-out is at 10AM?
The front desk apologized (but what are they going to do after
the fact)?
So - a word to the wise - bolt and lock your door , and don't open it to the cleaning help? - this cleaning
person has no tact or manners. Paying customers are just
garbage to be swept out with the trash. Amazingly poor conduct.
Thankfully the door had a hydraulic closure (probably from established need) so that I didn't slam it on her.

Because of this one staff member, I cannot recommend this place.

pullout couch

• Liked — checkin
  • Disliked — rude, aggressive cleaning staff
4 Thank JonquilleNashua_NH
historicgateway, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, September 8, 2008
Thank you for taking time to share feedback about your stay. We are a top rated Holiday Inn for guest service and we take pride in our accomplishments. I am sorry that the room attendant disturbed you and upset your stay. I share all guest comments with the staff so that we can continually improve our weaknesses and thrive on our strengths.

I would love to host your party again if you return to the area. Just ask for me and I will greet you upon arrival and make sure your stay is enjoyable.

Reeva Luecke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Pickerington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2008

Below is an email I sent to the Holiday Inn website. The representatives service was outstanding. His name was David!

Hello!

I felt obligated to pass along some details about a recent experience to our family vacation to Williamsburg.
We arrived in Williamsburg at approx 6:00pm after a 10 hour drive. Everyone was exhausted and wanted to get into our room to rest. We had a bad experience at another hotel. I looked in the local phone book and found a Holiday Inn Hotel. I called and told the person that answered the phone that we just got in town and had no place to stay because of the events that took place at the other hotel. This person, David went out of his way to make sure we not only received a room but were treated professionally. The whole check-in process only took about 5 minutes. Unbelievable! David is an asset to your company and knows what customer service is all about.

Please pass along to David my appreciation for everything he did to accomodate us.

Greg Schneider

• Liked — Customer Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
2 Thank GREGPICK
Thank you for mentioning David. He is famous at our front desk for all of the things you mention and more. I did receive your letter from IHG about David. These comments are shared with the staff and posted for all to enjoy. I am glad he was able to take care of you and make your vacation enjoyable. Please visit again, ask for David, he will remember you!

Wrentham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

This hotel is as good as the Trip Advisor reviews state. The suite has ample room for 5, in fact we declined a free rewards based stay at Embassy Suites and paid to stay here and it was well worth it. Hotel was clean, comfortable and accomodating.

Location on the by pass road is nothing to look at, but it's convenient to all Williamsburg sites and shopping.

• Liked — Size of room and cleanliness of hotel - it's very new looking
  • Disliked — Pool was indoors, heavy chlorine smell
1 Thank PHG2008
Wonderful! I am happy that you had a great time here! Thanks for taking the time to say you enjoyed us. Now all you have to do is come back! Hope to see you again next year!

Baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

This Holiday Inn should be the prime example of how to run a major hotel. From check-in to check-out the experience was outstanding. The location is great with a close proximity to Colonial Wiliamsburg, Busch Gardens and Water Country. The indoor pool, spa, and exercise room were a great addition. Free wireless internet access is a bonus! The hotel restaurant was a huge surprise. We had some of our best meals while staying at the hotel. Awesome breakfast buffet and fantastic service. When I return to Williamsburg I will always stay at this hotel! Great Job!!!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
1 Thank DJ-Baltimore
historicgateway, GENERAL MANAGER at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, August 30, 2008
I COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE!! I also think this is the best hotel in Williamsburg! We have fun working at the hotel because guests like you really make our day! The compliments are encouraging. Thank you for loving us! Come back, tell your friends, and bring them as well!

Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2008

Excellent service, extremely hospitable staff, good food, comfortable spacious clean rooms, loved this hotel! David at the front desk was excellent! Whirlpool worked great, nice indoor pool, and very convenient location. When we go back to Williamsburg this will be where we stay!

1 Thank awin0
historicgateway, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, August 25, 2008
We love that you loved it! Thanks for sharing and thanks for mentioning David. He is our service celebrity. Call us so we can book you next year!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and really enjoyed ourselves. We were visiting Williamsburg to see Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. The Holiday Inn Historic Gateway is conveniently located within a few miles of each location. Additionally, the hotel is near tons of great restaurants, as well as a Kmart for your "I forgot" items.
As far as the hotel goes, the staff was very friendly during check in and check out. The room was very nice. It was very spacious and the bedroom was separated from the "living room" area, which was nice because I could sleep, while my husband stayed up and read or watched tv in the other room. The decor of the room is very modern / very cool! The room was very clean, as was the bathroom. I am very hard to please when it comes to hotel rooms, and I also very rarely write reviews, but I thought this hotel was so nice, I had to make sure others were aware of it. In fact, the initial reason I chose to stay at this hotel was because it was ranked as the best in Williamsburg by reviewers of TripAdvisor.com.
Overall, great hotel, clean room-- we would definitely stay again!

• Liked — Centrally located to restaurants, shopping, and amusement parks / historic attractions.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DCgirl520
Thanks for taking time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We strive to be the best in the market with cleanliness and service. We are so proud of the hotel, the associates, and great guest comments. This is a great place! Thanks for staying with us!

Southampton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

I normally stay at Holiday Inn Express hotels when I travel for business, so when I saw a Holiday Inn Suite hotel in Williamsburg, I jumped at the chance to stay at the hotel (plus I get oddles of Priority Club points!). We were there from 7/26/08-8/2/08.

First off, it's a beautiful hotel, very well decorated, modern, a somewhat European decor, but the rooms sure aren't European sized! The two queen beds were very comfortable, and we also requested both down pillows and neck pillows (the U-shaped type) which were both delivered promptly and were very confortable. There was no shortage of pillows, for sure!

The check-in was smooth, very nice front desk person, and our Bounce Pass tickets were delivered to the hotel, so no need for us to wait in line at any parks to redeem any vouchers!

I had my wife, and two children (ages 10 and 11) with me, and we stayed in a One bedroom suite on the 5th floor. The room was plenty big, but could have used a bit more drawer space. We were there for a week, so we couldn't get all of our clothes in just one drawer per person.

We loved the mini fridge, which was nice sized, not a tiny cube. We used it a lot, and my son's gallon jug of milk fit there well, as did numerous cans and bottles and leftover Chinese food. The microwave was nice, as was the coffee machine.

The TVs were great, lotsa channels for everyone to relax with at the end of the day. I was surprised that there was no video game or pay channel hookups, which I'm used to at Holiday Inns. Also, I couldn't check my running bill on the TV either.

The bathroom was fine, very clean like the rest of the room and hotel in general. But, the bathroom could use a better exhaust to help clear the steam from the mirror after a hot shower.

The restaurant was very nice, and the kids loved the booths with the widescreen flat panel displays. We ate breakfast there daily, but it was hard to get a booth unless you got lucky. The buffet was great, and kids ate free, so that was nice. A few days, things were in disarray, and it took about ten minutes of waiting to get the line items replenished, so I stood there for a while waiting for bacon, etc. They also offered made-to-order omelets and waffles too.

The pool was nice, and so was the hot tub. The closed pool area was extremely loud when a bunch of kids were all running around together, but that's what you get by having an all-weather pool area, lots of echos and noise. Small towels were provided just outside the pool area, but often there were no towels available, so we always brought our personal beach towels just in case.

A few other random observations: It was hot in Wiliamsburg when we were there, and perhaps that's why the elevators were very warm to be inside. There were soda machines, but not on every floor, same thing with laundry services, which are only on the 2nd and 4th floor, if I recall correctly.

All in all, the stay was great,and the location is superb. It's not walking distance to anything other than a few convenience stores and restaurants, but the Williamsburg visitor center is only just down the road, and then you can park and walk into Colonial Williamsburg. The parks (Busch Gardens and Water Country) were only about 15-20 minutes drive, and one day we went to Norfolk for a harbour tour on a schooner, and that took over an hour, lotsa trafffic on I-64!

• Liked — The rooms were great!
  • Disliked — I wish the pool was bigger, and I wish it was partially outdoors also.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank DaddyO
Great to hear you had a wonderful time with your family in Williamsburg! I appreciate your detailed review of the hotel and some great information for us as well. We hope you come back again!