“As good as advertised on Trip Advisor”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Wrentham, Massachusetts
“As good as advertised on Trip Advisor”
Reviewed August 29, 2008

This hotel is as good as the Trip Advisor reviews state. The suite has ample room for 5, in fact we declined a free rewards based stay at Embassy Suites and paid to stay here and it was well worth it. Hotel was clean, comfortable and accomodating.

Location on the by pass road is nothing to look at, but it's convenient to all Williamsburg sites and shopping.

• Liked — Size of room and cleanliness of hotel - it's very new looking
  • Disliked — Pool was indoors, heavy chlorine smell
1 Thank PHG2008
historicgateway, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, September 8, 2008
Wonderful! I am happy that you had a great time here! Thanks for taking the time to say you enjoyed us. Now all you have to do is come back! Hope to see you again next year!

Reeva Luecke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Baltimore
Reviewed August 26, 2008

This Holiday Inn should be the prime example of how to run a major hotel. From check-in to check-out the experience was outstanding. The location is great with a close proximity to Colonial Wiliamsburg, Busch Gardens and Water Country. The indoor pool, spa, and exercise room were a great addition. Free wireless internet access is a bonus! The hotel restaurant was a huge surprise. We had some of our best meals while staying at the hotel. Awesome breakfast buffet and fantastic service. When I return to Williamsburg I will always stay at this hotel! Great Job!!!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
1 Thank DJ-Baltimore
historicgateway, GENERAL MANAGER at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, August 30, 2008
I COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE!! I also think this is the best hotel in Williamsburg! We have fun working at the hotel because guests like you really make our day! The compliments are encouraging. Thank you for loving us! Come back, tell your friends, and bring them as well!

Washington, DC
Reviewed August 20, 2008

Excellent service, extremely hospitable staff, good food, comfortable spacious clean rooms, loved this hotel! David at the front desk was excellent! Whirlpool worked great, nice indoor pool, and very convenient location. When we go back to Williamsburg this will be where we stay!

1 Thank awin0
historicgateway, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, August 25, 2008
We love that you loved it! Thanks for sharing and thanks for mentioning David. He is our service celebrity. Call us so we can book you next year!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and really enjoyed ourselves. We were visiting Williamsburg to see Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. The Holiday Inn Historic Gateway is conveniently located within a few miles of each location. Additionally, the hotel is near tons of great restaurants, as well as a Kmart for your "I forgot" items.
As far as the hotel goes, the staff was very friendly during check in and check out. The room was very nice. It was very spacious and the bedroom was separated from the "living room" area, which was nice because I could sleep, while my husband stayed up and read or watched tv in the other room. The decor of the room is very modern / very cool! The room was very clean, as was the bathroom. I am very hard to please when it comes to hotel rooms, and I also very rarely write reviews, but I thought this hotel was so nice, I had to make sure others were aware of it. In fact, the initial reason I chose to stay at this hotel was because it was ranked as the best in Williamsburg by reviewers of TripAdvisor.com.
Overall, great hotel, clean room-- we would definitely stay again!

• Liked — Centrally located to restaurants, shopping, and amusement parks / historic attractions.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WashingtonDCgirl2
Thanks for taking time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We strive to be the best in the market with cleanliness and service. We are so proud of the hotel, the associates, and great guest comments. This is a great place! Thanks for staying with us!

Southampton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 19, 2008

I normally stay at Holiday Inn Express hotels when I travel for business, so when I saw a Holiday Inn Suite hotel in Williamsburg, I jumped at the chance to stay at the hotel (plus I get oddles of Priority Club points!). We were there from 7/26/08-8/2/08.

First off, it's a beautiful hotel, very well decorated, modern, a somewhat European decor, but the rooms sure aren't European sized! The two queen beds were very comfortable, and we also requested both down pillows and neck pillows (the U-shaped type) which were both delivered promptly and were very confortable. There was no shortage of pillows, for sure!

The check-in was smooth, very nice front desk person, and our Bounce Pass tickets were delivered to the hotel, so no need for us to wait in line at any parks to redeem any vouchers!

I had my wife, and two children (ages 10 and 11) with me, and we stayed in a One bedroom suite on the 5th floor. The room was plenty big, but could have used a bit more drawer space. We were there for a week, so we couldn't get all of our clothes in just one drawer per person.

We loved the mini fridge, which was nice sized, not a tiny cube. We used it a lot, and my son's gallon jug of milk fit there well, as did numerous cans and bottles and leftover Chinese food. The microwave was nice, as was the coffee machine.

The TVs were great, lotsa channels for everyone to relax with at the end of the day. I was surprised that there was no video game or pay channel hookups, which I'm used to at Holiday Inns. Also, I couldn't check my running bill on the TV either.

The bathroom was fine, very clean like the rest of the room and hotel in general. But, the bathroom could use a better exhaust to help clear the steam from the mirror after a hot shower.

The restaurant was very nice, and the kids loved the booths with the widescreen flat panel displays. We ate breakfast there daily, but it was hard to get a booth unless you got lucky. The buffet was great, and kids ate free, so that was nice. A few days, things were in disarray, and it took about ten minutes of waiting to get the line items replenished, so I stood there for a while waiting for bacon, etc. They also offered made-to-order omelets and waffles too.

The pool was nice, and so was the hot tub. The closed pool area was extremely loud when a bunch of kids were all running around together, but that's what you get by having an all-weather pool area, lots of echos and noise. Small towels were provided just outside the pool area, but often there were no towels available, so we always brought our personal beach towels just in case.

A few other random observations: It was hot in Wiliamsburg when we were there, and perhaps that's why the elevators were very warm to be inside. There were soda machines, but not on every floor, same thing with laundry services, which are only on the 2nd and 4th floor, if I recall correctly.

All in all, the stay was great,and the location is superb. It's not walking distance to anything other than a few convenience stores and restaurants, but the Williamsburg visitor center is only just down the road, and then you can park and walk into Colonial Williamsburg. The parks (Busch Gardens and Water Country) were only about 15-20 minutes drive, and one day we went to Norfolk for a harbour tour on a schooner, and that took over an hour, lotsa trafffic on I-64!

• Liked — The rooms were great!
  • Disliked — I wish the pool was bigger, and I wish it was partially outdoors also.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank DaddyO
Great to hear you had a wonderful time with your family in Williamsburg! I appreciate your detailed review of the hotel and some great information for us as well. We hope you come back again!

Delaware
Reviewed August 14, 2008

Everything was perfect, rooms nice,clean and comfortable. Staff was very friendly and helpful. My family ate at the Bistro 515 on our last night at the hotel, it was absolutely delicious.

1 Thank mandyw706
Maryland
Reviewed August 14, 2008

I am an IHG Priority Club Meeting Rewards Member. I plan meetings for a living so have stayed in some wonderful (as well as not so wonderful hotels). As this was a "mini" family vacation before school begins for the kids, we wanted to stay at a nice, clean property in close proximity to BG and WC, near restaurants, etc. Before booking my reservations, I scoured through reviews on this site (and was hopeful that the hotel would measure up to all of the wonderful reviews that I came across). For the most part the hotel measured up.

We arrived at the hotel early (10:00 am) as sometimes rooms are ready early (I do this often when I am traveling for work and most times can be accommodated). The hotel was full so, we were directed to a restaurant and given a Williamsburg tour book and told to come back in 2-3 hours as the room would be ready at that time. So my family went to breakfast and right up the road to the outlets for some power shopping.

Three hours (1:00 pm) later we came back to the hotel and were informed that the room was still not ready, but that we had been upgraded to a suite (woo hoo) if we were willing to wait for it to be readied (it was not yet clean) and to come back later on in the day. We left our luggage (which we were told would be moved into the suite and ready for us when we returned from BG later that evening). However, upon our return, our luggage was still sitting downstairs and the suite which we had been upgraded to was no longer available!

Rest assured with a tired family (that had looked forward to stretching out in a suite all day, this was quite a disappointment). The person at the front desk was apologetic as there was not much she could do as the hotel was sold – we were given breakfast coupons for our trouble.

Later as my husband and I stepped out to go and get the kids some snacks I was beckoned over to the front desk. The front desk person (I can not recall her name at this time) was so upset over the issue that she had called her General Manager (this was about 9:30 pm) and explained the situation. The GM and the front desk person were again apologetic and offered to move my family to a suite the next day or to offer me back half of my priority club points. As a person that works with hotels often, I was most impressed with this quick response to resolve the situation.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay at this hotel, but I would suggest that when checking in you ask for a room that does not have an adjoining door to another room (if possible). On our last night at the hotel the guests in the adjoining room fought, cried, screamed, ran in out of the room (slamming the door) and up and down the hallway from 10:00 pm until 2:00 am the next morning (which unfortunately kept us awake). This was in no way the fault of the hotel, but if you can avoid an adjoining room I would do so at all cost (just in case).

Outside of the few hiccups we experienced, the hotel is in a great location, has nicely appointed rooms (quite large and decorated beautifully), the staff is top notch from the front desk to the waiters/waitresses and chef in the Bistro. Keep up the good work!

1 Thank MtgMgr
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I hope you had a lovely time with your family in Williamsburg! The staff here takes customer service seriously. If we make a mistake we do whatever we can in our power to make it right. We want you to have fun here, to enjoy this beautiful hotel, and to be proud to serve you.

I apologize for the noisy neighbors. I do hope you visit this wonderful city again and choose to stay with us.