“If we return to Williamsburg we will stay here again.”

American Heritage RV Campground
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We chose this campground because they rent park models and they are very reasonably priced. The campground is out of the way but still close enough to all of the attractions that it isn't bothersome. this is by far one of the best campgrounds that I have stayed at.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Reviewed June 17, 2012

We had a nice overall stay at American Heritage. We spent three nights in a travel trailer. We are new to RVing so my review is based on what was described on the website. We booked online and I did not get a confirmation within 24 hrs, so I called. The lady had my confirmation and immediately sent it out. We did not check in until after 4pm (checkin is at 2). I showed my Good Sam card and she adjusted my balance for 10% off the total.

We were directed to space 85 which is in the rear of the park. It was a very large space but NOT a concrete pad. The website described all the sites as concrete and they most definitely were not. However we decided to stick with it since it was private, level, and we could just pull through. The ground was dusty though and a fine film of dirt (like sand) covered our shoes.

The internet did not work in this rear section of the park. If I walked to the bathhouse, I could get on the wifi network. The cable "worked" but was fuzzy. I am not sure if this is because of our setup or the cable there but I don't think we did anything wrong (new, modern tv).

All in all it was good, but not great. The bathhouse was modern and clean and not really crowded. If you want a concrete pad you should probably call and ask for this. Also, ask for a site near the middle of the campground, if you want wifi. My children were disappointed in the wifi range.

The big slide did not seem in operation when we might have used it. I believe the hours are limited. Since we were going to Busch Gardens, we didnt really need to pay extra and drag our kids to this.

On a good note, there is a large new Food Lion and CVS about half a mile away (5601 Richmond Road). Not locatable by GPS but very easy to find.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank TheCarolinaTraveller
Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

This is our first stay. Very impressed with the staff and the campground itself. Very family and pet friendly. Easy access to Interstate 64, with plenty of things to do and see nearby. Grounds are well kept. The only suggestion I would make is for the camp store to stay open a little later. After 6 you can't buy fire wood. But a little planning ahead takes care of that. Worth a visit here!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I can't believe this campground was reviewed as a top 100 by Good Sam. This is our 9th campground in 3 weeks and there is only one other campground that I thought was not better than this place. Now, don't get me wrong it was a GOOD campground and I would stay here again. It was just not GREAT! I thought the office staff was polite but not friendly or efficient. The first spot they put us in had a bent tree that blocked one of our slides. But, we were able to move over a slot and use all our slides. The site was not very level and not paved and very close to the one next to it. Luckily, they never filled the slot with that tree next to us because on our last night there during a rain storm - it broke in half and crashed to the ground. Wow! What a lucky break for us. The mini golf was being updated with new turf, the pool looked great but was not open for the season, I did not see the Hippo Slide, and half the games in the game room were out of order. I will say that the premium sites were paved and looked level and most only had neighbors on one side. The WiFi is free but very slow.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank redt2play
Reviewed February 28, 2012

My husband and I just recently camped at American Heritage. We had a full hook up camp site. The concrete pad was a plus! Level sites. Loved the tall pines. Lovely campground. Our dog loved the fenced in dog park. The bathrooms were nice and clean. The location was close to the areas we wanted to visit. I could hear the train but not see it. I was awakened a couple of times by it, but my husband slept through it. We will definitely be back in the summer with the kids as I am sure they will enjoy the Hippo slide, mini golf and the pool.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gospartans24153
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We enjoyed our stay and really can't come up with much to brag about or complain about. Wifi was easy to connect to and gave us reasonable bandwidth and internet speeds. Cable TV was no issues and provided plenty of channels including some movie channels. The RV parking pad and picnic pad next to the RV were both concrete but no very level. We used the stablizer jacks and the back jacks didn't come down far enough to make the RV completely stop rocking when someone walked. Because it was a colder late year trip, the Hippo and the pool were closed. The store did have a few trinkets and RV items but nothing that attracted our attention. I will point out you dont need much because not far up the road is a new Food Lion grovery store and new CVC pharmacy. We didn't tow this time and used the Enterprise rent a car just a few miles away.

Staff - friendly and welcoming
Site - Nice pool through site with electric, water, sewer, and free cable and Wifi, concrete pads not very level (probably to drain the water?)
Pool - closed for season, nice, small would do fine for kids
Laundry - Didnt use it but saw the laundry near to the pool so wash while kids play is good
Shower facilities - didnt use it, cant comment
Other ammenities - Didnt use any so cant comment
Clean - Never saw and trash or reason to complain
Prices - Prices were fair I think we were about $45 a night then the Good Sam discount
Trash - We did love that you just put your trash bags in front of the unit in the morning and someone comes to collect it. No running of to the Dumpster.

Need to mention the trains. The park is located aproximately a half mile from a track. During the day we heard a couple noisy trains blowing their horns and though we could never sleep through that. We stayed for four days, we heard a few trains during the day, nothing to be concerned with and didnt hear any at night. From my point of view, dont let the trains be your deciding factor here.

We stayed in a 31' class c coach no pet no kids. Neighbors around us all very friendly.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LovesHistory
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We just spend 4 days in the Park Model lot # 4 it was so nice and clean. I will definitly be going back again. They had a nice porch on the front and it faced the pool. I was so pleased with how nice the staff was and how clean the place was.

Room Tip: Park Model lot # 4