“Nice campground, good location”
Review of Anvil Campground

Reviewed November 21, 2012

This is a very nice campground. It is small and it is well maintained. The bathrooms are very clean. The location is the best of all campgrounds in Williamsburg. The office/store staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Would recommend you check it out. We have been here twice this year, April and October.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank R0yAndCindy
Anvilcampground, Owner at Anvil Campground, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Happy Holidays and thank you very much for your nice comment! We appreciate your business and the opportunity to have you as our guest! We work so hard every day of the year to make all of our guests happy. Anvil Campground has been here since 1954. For 58 years and three generations, we have provided great family memories for tens of thousands of families. Our customer service will never be beat, because there is nothing that we will not do to make our guests happy. We look forward to seeing you again and if there is ever anything more we can do for you during your next stay, please let us know or contact myself personally!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We like the staff at the Anvil Campground and the convenience to Colonial Williamsburg and will stay again. HOWEVER, in future we will always ask for a site a bit further away from the train tracks, although those are more expensive. Avoid sites 60-67. The trains there are just a few yards away, and sound like they are coming right through even a hard-sided camper. We had visions of a derailment which might wipe us out. Also, our site was next to a long-term camper whose dirt and clutter was off-putting. Our site (64) needed to be upgraded in terms of the worn picnic table and iffy electric box. This campground is expensive enough that we expected better in that regard.

For our second visit to Anvil we asked for a site in the 40s and were much happier there, although the trains are unavoidably loud everywhere. Utility box there was recently new. We were pleased that Passport America gets you a 50% discount at Anvil for certain months of the year.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Doodle882
Anvilcampground, Owner at Anvil Campground, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

We appreciate your business and the opportunity to have you as our guest! Your issue with your neighbor at the time has been addressed. As far as the electrical boxes, over 88% of our campsites have the best utility pedestals on the market; only our “Standard” sites have not yet been upgraded, but will be in the future. Anvil Campground has been here since 1954. For 58 years and three generations, we have provided great family memories for tens of thousands of families. Our customer service will never be beat, because there is nothing that we will not do to make our guests happy. We look forward to seeing you again and if there is ever anything more we can do for you during your next stay, please let us know or contact myself personally!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

First things first, if you don't like trains, please stay outside of Williamsburg. The commuter trains run every 3 or 4 hours and then you get a couple big freight trains at night. Big enough to gently rock my 40 foot coach parked about 50 yards away. They don't blow their horns as they go by, but they will sound them about a half a mile or so down the track. If you have your A/C or a Fan going, you probably wouldn't even hear them, but instead feel the gentle rumble as they go by. If it was my campground, I wouldn't offer tent sites and use that area for something else.

Now the good stuff. The campground is easy to get to. The sites are back and I didn't see anyone have any trouble since there is plenty of space between sites, just remember to look up at trees and awnings. I was able to get satellite tv, but I don't know how, maybe a small opening between tree branches. I used my verizon card for internet because 4g is pretty solid, but not the blazing speed that you get in the big cities. Their internet, was usable for e-mail if you are patient, but not much else. I wish campgrounds would understand that this is one of the most important amenities that they can offer. If you have a big rig, you will drive past the sites that you will most likely be parking in when you pull up to the registration sign. I didn't pull all the way up to the register and was spared the lap around the park or the long back up to get to my site.

The people here were great. I met 3 different ladies during the 5 days there. I enjoyed talking to them all. There is a superb 2.5 mile (5 miles round trip) bike riding or jogging path just 200 yards down the road (west). I used this daily. Along the path, there is a park and reservoir where you can rent boat. You are surrounded by beautiful trees. Each site has a fire pit and a picnic table. There are 3 small playgrounds for the kids. The pool was closed for the fall/winter, but looked nice. The game room had air hockey, pool tables, and miscellaneous video games that all worked. The laundry facility has 4 washers and 4 dryers. It was clean and I didn't have any trouble getting my laundry done. The store has a great selection of things that you didn't realize you would need and miscellaneous rv supplies.

The train did not bother me, but I would occasionally smirk as I remembered the movie, "My Cousin Vinny" and the train in that movie. I would and will definitely camp here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mike t

Since your comment we have increased our internet speed! We appreciate your thorough review, and the opportunity to have you as our guest! Anvil Campground has been here since 1954. For 58 years and three generations, we have provided great family memories for tens of thousands of families. Our customer service will never be beat, because there is nothing that we will not do to make our guests happy. We look forward to seeing you again and if there is ever anything more we can do for you during your next stay, please let us know or contact myself personally!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I am going to post this review from the view of a tent camper. GO SOMEPLACE ELSE! If you are in a RV, camper, or something else hard shell then you should be good. If you have a tent your site will be about 50 feet from a very busy railroad line and on top of that you are smack in between two busy highways. The first night the trains started at 1230 and ran every half hour until about 4 am. Took a 45 minute break then started up again and ran until about 8 am (conveniently when most are getting up). I counted at least 12 trains and heard people say they counted more. Pretty much the same on the second night but I was too tired to care from the first night and a day at Busch Gardens.

I am not going to completely bash the place because I know they can't control the trains but they should seriously consider discounting the tent rates and definitely warn campers prior to allowing them to make reservations.

The employees are super nice and really pride themselves in customer service. Their shower/restroom facilities are moderately adequate, however, when I stayed one of the two male toilets was closed off. That was pretty inconvenient. The pool is decent but was closed due to the season. You are really close to outlet malls and Busch Gardens so those are some pluses.

All in all while I do no regret the stay. I had a lot of fun with family friends and interacting with some of my fellow campers but in the end I would not stay here again nor recommend any tent camper stay either.

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you are planning to sleep in a tent
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Eric C

Thank you for choosing Anvil Campground. I am so sorry you had an issue with the train. Anvil Campground has been here since 1954. For 58 years and three generations, we have provided great family memories for tens of thousands of families. Our customer service will never be beat, because there is nothing that we will not do to make our guests happy. For 99% of our guests the train is not an issue, if it ever is an issue, we do everything in our power to make a guest happy by moving them to another site farther away from the train track. There are no set times for when the train will pass, it could be zero or it could be five, but every time it does, our guest are able to witness history to how our great nation became what it is today. Trains were the backbone to the birth of our great nation and still power us to be what we are today. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact me directly. Take care.

Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Yes. I read the previous reviews regarding the trains. I never in my wildest imagination thought it would be that many trains, that loudly, that often. We camped in a pop up and it was rather eye opening. My child and husband slept through it of course. Why have quiet hours when you have C&S rolling by. Train enthusiasts would love it!
As for the sites, we had originally requested a complete back to back. We rolled in after dark to discover that the site we had been assigned... Our lot mate was using much more of his half than necessary. It's a tight fit on a good day. Our pop up is rather long once we pull the beds out. It wasn't going to happen. We upgraded ourselves to a premium pull through that was available on the board at the front.
The campground is very clean. Nice pool nice little playground. Very easy to get to. Bathhouse clean but small. Two toilets. Two showers. One of the toilets in the men's room was out of order
We will probably try another campground next trip. I just can't deal with Amtrak, Norfolk and Southern and whomever else all night again.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank StefCentralVA

Thank you for your compliments of our superior cleanliness, playgrounds, and our location! I am so sorry you had an issue with the train. Anvil Campground has been here since 1954. For 58 years and three generations, we have provided great family memories for tens of thousands of families. Our customer service will never be beat, because there is nothing that we will not do to make our guests happy. For 99% of our guests the train is not an issue, if it ever is an issue, we do everything in our power to make a guest happy by moving them to another site farther away from the train track. There are no set times for when the train will pass, it could be zero or it could be five, but every time it does, our guest are able to witness history to how our great nation became what it is today. Trains were the backbone to the birth of our great nation and still power us to be what we are today. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact me directly. Take care.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We had a very nice stay at Anvil Campground. While I would not want to be in a tent that close to the train, it was not any problem for us in our RV. The staff was especially helpful and went out of their way to accomodate us. Our grandchildren enjoyed the playgrounds and pool.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Karen C

We appreciate your business and the opportunity to have you as our guest! Anvil Campground has been here since 1954. For 58 years and three generations, we have provided great family memories for tens of thousands of families. Our customer service will never be beat, because there is nothing that we will not do to make our guests happy. We look forward to seeing you again and if there is ever anything more we can do for you during your next stay, please let us know or contact myself personally!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have had the pleasure of stay at Anvil on 2 different occassions. The first was with my Wife 3 years ago while on vacation. That first time the trains took time to get used to for my Wife, however, it reminded me of when I stayed at my Grandparents as a little boy and listened to the passing freight trains every night as I went to sleep. The most recent time I was by myself and the campers in the tent site next to me went on until 2 a.m., well past the last train I heard that night. The 6 a.m. freight is a great alarm for those who want to get a great start on their day. I like to get up early and hit the showers before the rush. Will always stay with Anvil when in the area. Hope next time the people next to me go to bed when the trains stop running.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Stephen S

We appreciate your business. Anvil Campground has been here since 1954. For 58 years and three generations, we have provided great family memories for tens of thousands of families. Our customer service will never be beat, because there is nothing that we will not do to make our guests happy. We look forward to seeing you again and if there is ever anything more we can do for you during your next stay, please let us know or contact myself personally!
757-565-1941

Also consider these accommodations in or near Williamsburg
4 mi away
#21 of 73 in Williamsburg
The Historic Powhatan Resort
The Historic Powhatan Resort
#23 of 73 in Williamsburg

Been to Anvil Campground? Share your experiences!